Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

And now we have reached the podium.

Bonne Chance!

5 Likes

In 3rd place with 10 points

Rev. Sister Mary Nelson - Judgement

Comments: You’d better get ready for judgement.
(You might know this one as it’s off the Harry Smith Anthology, but it’s awesome)

Review

Really cool. Vocal sound reminds me a bit of Blind Willie Johnson. That kinda raspy shouting growl. I like religious songs like this. They sound so righteous. Says she only recorded 4 songs in the late 20’s. This is hellah obscure. It’s the right era for me. I’ve never heard of the Harry Smith Anthology. I’m more familiar with Alan Lomax and George Mitchell recordings. Really good choice.

4 Likes

louis and skydiver b2b podiums?

2 Likes

A cappella metal!

2 Likes

What has the world come to?

2 Likes

That’s me, it’s as haunting a recording as I know of. What better praise?

4 Likes

b2b wins for louis?!

Thanks for the jinx.

a clean sweep of all the grab bag for Louis?!

2 Likes

3 Likes

In 2nd place with 11 points

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Didn’t It Rain

Comments: She’s in the Rock and Roll HOF for a reason.

Review

Really good. I’ve seen videos from her live performances like this before (This Train, etc). Big powerful voice. I didn’t really rank it based on the video, but the video is amazing. I love how she plays an SG. Maybe she inspired the rockers who used them later on. I like how all these people who made music in the early half of the century got a boost during the folk revival and now there’s footage of them playing live. This is a rock solid choice.

7 Likes

congrats louis

3 Likes

In 1st place with 12 points

Peter Sarstedt - Where Do You Go To My Lovely

Comments: Maybe the saddest love song I know

Review

Ahhh the beauty of Walrus. I’ve never heard of this guy or song. It’s a wonderful song full of little references in the lyrics and tells a lonely story of a life being elevated out of poverty into higher society. It’s a simple song but it’s done just right. It’s gems like this that are missing in my musical knowledge. It’s nice to go back to the 60’s and discover a pop song that was a huge hit back then but that’s refreshing to hear now.

I think I had a good childhood, but I’m a sucker for songs with childhood memories about being poor (…or an orphan … or in a hospital bed).

I remember the back streets of Naples
Two children begging in rags
Both touched with a burning ambition
To shake off their lowly-born tags, (they tried)
So look into my face, Marie-Claire
And remember just who you are
Then go and forget me forever
But I know you still bear the scar, (deep inside, yes, you do)

I liked this song the best right from the start. Easy winner. Thank you for this.

5 Likes

This was one of the songs that I had kept in my Walrus backpocket waiting for a an opportunity to shoehorn it in. I am glad you like it. Thanks for taking the time to listen to our songs and doing this reveal.

4 Likes

Started this off with 2 nodiums.

Awesome.

5 Likes

Thus my walrus reveal has concluded.

7 Likes

Hi, have we met?

Nice reveal Pauwl… if that is your real name

5 Likes

Third place - great song I can see that
Second place. Absolutely fantastic song, awesome judging.
First place. Yikes, I’m old enough to remember this from first time around, hated it then, and still hate it now

5 Likes

Great reveal in spite of the winner

2 Likes

Mysteriously Jean doesn’t make an appearance … yet. On the leader board we’re already seeing separation for the three front runners. Sounds like Louis is prohibitive favourite down at honest Yuv’s bookmakers.

R2

6 Likes