Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

Maybe he did. :slight_smile:

Never heard this before but Talking Heads are great. This song is no exception! Good choice.

Not that anyone cares but this would have been my selection for this category:

Maybe I’m overthinking it but not a lot of songs on the radio get me to stop and really ponder what they’re about.

1 Like

maybe I did

2 Likes

And on to the podium

In 3rd place with 10 points
The Streets - Let’s Push Things Forward

Comments: I was 18 or 19 and just started working in a big radio station. 99% of the shows were mainstream crap, but every night at 10 PM there was one ‘alternative’ show by the very corny name “The Edge” that I was a big fan of. I silently helped the show’s DJ grab his records one day and finished my shift. When I got into the car and turned on the radio the Street’s song started playing. Never really heard anything like it until that point. The next day I coyly asked him what was the weird british rap song I heard. The day after he gave me a burnt copy of Original Pirate Material (lol irony). A year later I ended up writing hip-hop reviews for some newspaper and the local distributors of The Streets fedexed me a (real) copy of his 2nd album to review.

Now that is a class story.

I was crazy for this when it first came out, absolutely ground- breaking and incredible to see it was nearly 20 years ago. I’ve not listened to this in years but man alive it still sounds so fresh.
It could easily have won, but again it’s familiarity meant I placed it third. Top quality walrusing though

9 Likes

This one actually qualifies for me in this category too, my buddy in Australia played this for me in his car when I was doing a semester there. I can’t remember if I liked it right away or if it grew one me over time but either way it’s great stuff.

2 Likes

That was me if it wasn’t obvious from the overly detailed story. Everytime i swear i will just send links and fail at it.

4 Likes

Why would you want to deprive us of some color commentary?

2 Likes

I guessed it more from the song than the comments - and it’s a great story.

1 Like

In 2nd place with 11 points

Black Country, New Road - Sunglasses (Edit)

Comments: I was visiting friends I’d not seen for years and years, this came on the radio, I couldn’t concentrate it was so fantastic and I ended up having to stop them talking and look up the name on my phone so I wouldn’t forget. Felt bad, embarassment means I will never forget.

This so very nearly won. It’s like a strange cross between Ivor Cutler

and Mark E Smith,

I mean it veers perilously close to Jazz at some points, and halfway through first time I thought was hating it but my God it’s fantastic.

" I’m more than adequate - Leave Kanye out of this" Top Notch

Great submission

6 Likes

That’s me, it’s the most exciting new music I’ve heard in years.

I’ve also wondered if I could get away with sending Ivor Cutler to a walrus many times :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Definitely better than the rest.

1 Like

Ha! I knew you would know Ivor Cutler. If this Walrus introduces anyone into the genius that is Life in a Scotch Living Room then our time here is not wasted

2 Likes

In 1st place with 12 points

Anne Clark - Sleeper In Metropolis

Comments: I remember hearing this for the first time a long time ago. My then girlfriend and I only recently got together. We were sitting on the floor in her living room talking about what music we like. She told me Anne Clark was her absolute favorite artist and I had never heard of her. This was the song she chose to introduce me to her.

I absolutely love this. I had never heard of Ann Clark, but since this entry I have been plowing through her back catalogue. I think this would have been a great entry for @skydiver8 category -though not as good as mine obviously. Fascinating lyrics over an superb electronic soundscape. This is from 1982 - again groundbreaking stuff, and still sounds vital and relevant now. An absolutely superb entry - and a worthy winner

4 Likes

Always annoying to be beaten by something that’s great and you should know but don’t.

4 Likes

I genuinely thoroughly enjoyed these submissions - thanks to everyone

4 Likes

Well this gave away the submitter if the song itself didn’t. Even I probably would be too embarrassed to shut people up over a song and one time I was sick of waiting for me wife to leave an event and told her friends ‘nice to meet you, I’m leaving now.’

4 Likes

I’ve just noticed my top 3 are all by English artists - suddenly concerned I’m an accidental racist

4 Likes

4 Likes

Not kidding this time.

If She Dies She Dies (Rocky IV - Ivan Drago)

2 Likes

This song was my

moment. I initially wanted to send it to Pauwl but wasn’t happy that it’s an 80s song and then it came to me: I can just send it to SwankyWilder! Didn’t that work out splendidly.

Thanks for the reveal and thanks for everyone’s submissions. That was an interesting category with some great stories.

4 Likes