Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

Fully 50% victories at this stage. An absolute slaughter in progress.

4 Likes

I’m quite the populist

@LouisCyphre is on fire

5 Likes

6th!

My second day starting my job back in 2018 we had a work team outing to the bowling alley and I heard this song for the first time and then discovered more of their music as I drove home.

It’s still my favorite song of theirs

3 Likes

This is great.

5 Likes

Fantastic reveal Swanky, thank-you!

5 Likes

This is gonna be a hard story to tell in English.

My first week or so at aforementioned radio station Hadag Nahash came to do a live show to promote their new album.
I went to the studio to see them preform. One of the song they played was called “Gabby and Debby”, who were characters in a PBS-like show to teach English during the 80’s on Israeli TV.

In the TV show they time travel to learn about history. The song is a pretty funny political satire of Zionist history, as they go to see Hertzl in Basel and realize he is tripping on acid etc etc.

The chorus is “Hadag Nahash are making Zionist Hip Hop”. It might just be a joke, but at the time there was a huge wave of nationalistic rappers who were doing very well on the charts with terrible ‘patriotic’ songs and lyrics. I took the line as a clever comeback to those who appropriated the idea of Zionism.

Anyway, I went back to my office humming this song for days. I gave a spiel about how awesome the thought behind the song was to the people in charge. Each week they had a meeting where they listen to new singles and decide what goes in the playlist and played to death.
Hadag Nahash released a different song as a single that week but i (maybe) convinced them to listen to that song as well. It got in and became a pretty big hit nation-wide.

I might be overestimating my role in making this non-single a hit, but I take all the credit.

4 Likes

Top tune; Top story

1 Like

Just me and EB left?

Ahhh, nope, Nich too

POG crew is slow at reveals (also has horrible taste apparently).

2 Likes

argh, I had to drive to the desert right after this started. Anyway, Talking Heads was mine. I’m glad it finished so high, I wondered if it might have been too familiar.

2 Likes

So Louis is crushing, and 9 points back we have Sky hanging tough, and look who is tied with her…Goaty McGoat.

Also Yuv roaring up the rankings after a slow start (especially the first reveal).

Very interesting race to the line from here!

2 Likes

Luckily the final 3 judges are all bottom 4 so you can count on our taste to be valid and worthy of determining the ultimate winner

8 Likes

you are the reason for my slow start :(

1 Like

Going to give all of these one last listen and finalize positions.

Should be starting the reveal in 1.5 to 2 hours.

6 Likes

@seities
@skydiver8
@NotBruceZ
@Yuv
@LouisCyphre
@anon29622970
@Pauwl
@pyatnitski
@smrk4
@Nicholasp27
@CanadaMatt3004
@SwankyWilder

Will start soon.

6 Likes

Category host name: eyebooger
Category: Grab bag of a grab bag. Give me a song that fits any two of the following criteria (your choice):

• Has the majority of lyrics in a Romance language that isn’t Spanish
  • Was released in 2018 or later
  • Is from a group with at least 2 female members
  • Has a number in the title
  • Is between 3:50 and 4:10 in length

Musical tastes: Modern rock of just about any type and catchy pop, though I can appreciate just about all kinds except country.
Any other judging notes: Don’t really want anything super-familiar. I’ve judged two categories on here so far. One of them recently won the giant walrus bracket, and the other made the quarterfinals. So something that appeals to the masses will probably appeal to me.

3 Likes

This grab bag was weirdly difficult to nail something down. Results will be interesting.

1 Like

Apologies to those who I reveal early. But almost all of you gave me a bottom 5, so not that sorry. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

12th place (1 point):

Sleater-Kinney – One More Hour

(Multiple females, number)

Completely blind prediction: Sleater-Kinney is one of those bands that I’ve heard of, but not sure I know what they sound like. Guessing this will be a little slow and boring. 8th or 9th place.

First listen: Rhythm is pretty catchy. Oh god, why is she doing that trilling thing with her voice? Are all their songs like this? The other singer during the chorus is helping out a lot.

This should have been great. I just can’t get past that half-whine, quarter-scream of the lead singer.

Final verdict: Still didn’t get used to that awful pre-chorus. Even the chorus is too whiny, it’s only saved by the backup singer. It’s a shame: The rhythm is great and the lyrics are solid; I just don’t like the vocals at all. Sorry, I tried.

1 Like