Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

I think I can do mine today, unless someone has an objection. Definitely won’t be for at least a couple of hours.

Just to wet your whistles a bit, if I were in a trolling mood, I might have submitted this to my category:

A more serious submission might have been:

or

@seities
@eyebooger
@SwankyWilder
@skydiver8
@Pauwl
@anon29622970
@pyatnitski
@LouisCyphre
@smrk4
@Nicholasp27
@CanadaMatt3004
@Yuv

6 Likes

What do you mean trolling , trolling how? How am I trolling ?

2 Likes

Oh boy. I’m most nervous about your category. Best to get my nodium out of the way, though. Like ripping off a bandaid.

In b4 sky and louis podium again…

1 Like

1 Like

I’m going to give everything one last listen through, finalize my rankings, and pre-format everything. Let’s say I’ll get this started in about an hour unless I get inspired to say something way over the line and eat a temp ban in the Rush Limbaugh thread.

@seities
@eyebooger
@SwankyWilder
@skydiver8
@Pauwl
@anon29622970
@pyatnitski
@LouisCyphre
@smrk4
@Nicholasp27
@CanadaMatt3004
@Yuv

4 Likes

Awww shit

2 Likes

Also what you will be saying in about one hour one minute from now!

6 Likes

This is both true and hurtful

3 Likes

Reveal starts within five minutes.

@seities
@eyebooger
@SwankyWilder
@skydiver8
@Pauwl
@anon29622970
@pyatnitski
@LouisCyphre
@smrk4
@Nicholasp27
@CanadaMatt3004
@Yuv

5 Likes

Fyyyyyyyyeeeaahhhhh

2 Likes

Let’s Go. Not really s fan of the Beatles and not really expecting much from my entry but interesting to see what we got

2 Likes

In 12th place, earning 1 point - Junior Parker - “Tomorrow Never Knows”

The final track on Revolver, “Tomorrow Never Knows” is a trippy, LSD-inspired track that influenced the psychedelic music genre. Having never dropped acid, I don’t know if the song is the effective rendition of the psychedelic experience that some say it is, but if it is, then count me out. While I appreciate the attempt to push boundaries, I find the electronic effects to be annoying and not something I wish to listen to for more than a song at a time. Junior Parker, an inductee into the Blues Hall of Fame, included his version on 1971’s Love Ain’t Nothin But a Business Goin’ On, which also includees covers of “Taxman” and “Lady Madonna”. This cover eschews those effects, which make it more bearable, but what’s underneath those effects turns out be a bit too slow and ponderous for me to really enjoy.

4 Likes

Obviously you’ve never witnessed the Chemical Brothers live or you would have looked more fondly on my choice

3 Likes

hmm, I actually kind of like this. Gonna go look up those other covers you mentioned, heh.

1 Like

In 11th place, earning 2 points - Johnny Cash - “In My Life”

Originally a song on 1965’s Rubber Soul, this track comes from 2002’s American IV: The Man Comes Around. This is nowhere as near as strong of a track as “Hurt”, from the same album, where the weary old man vibe resonates more with the lyrics. While the song could be interpreted as Cash looking back on a long life, it feels a bit too much like “old man sings karaoke” for me to rate it higher.

4 Likes

Mine!

This is why I put out my podium/nodium predictions…this was a podium candidate of mine.

1 Like

It’s not a bad song but not exactly a banger(*) either.

(*) I think I have used that term correctly, still not sure the definition is

At this point, I’ll say that there was a wide range of submissions that I liked but didn’t love and those can be hard to judge.

1 Like

In 10th place, earning 3 points - Nick Cave - “Let It Be”

Comments: Maybe I’m weird for liking Nick Cave, but something about this cover just grew on me, and now I like it almost as much as the original. And the original is one of my favorite Beatles songs. I know Nick Cave is an acquired taste…I just hope it’s one that you’ve also acquired ;)

The title track of the Beatles final studio album, released in 1970. From 2001’s I Am Sam soundtrack. The movie had been planned with the original songs in mind, so much so that it had already been sequenced with them. When it became impossible to use the original versions, the filmmakers commissioned a soundtrack that had to match the originals in length and tempo exactly. This led to several tracks which were well-performed but not that special. This is one such version.

4 Likes