Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

I knew the rap part wouldn’t be your thing (he’s not part of the band) and probably should have picked a different song of theirs.

Happy with the podium.

In completely unrelated news we concluded the recount and Louis still got 12 point from me.

3 Likes

https://afrait.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/I-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together-A-Team.gif

2 Likes

In 2nd place scoring 11 points: Where No Eagles Fly by The Voidz

Pre-listening impression: They have “The” in the name so probably a rock band? Song title and youtube thumbnail seem to concur.

I had a similar experience with this song as I did with Conjure Me. A really strong start with the low bass and then the singer was a bit of a disappointment initially as I was expecting more powerful vocals. Fortunately I didn’t have to wait too long because the distorted and screaming parts are exactly what the doctor ordered. A kick ass song and I am looking forward to find more from this band.

P.S.: The lead singer was previously a member of The Strokes.

3 Likes

This is their only quasi-hit. Wonder if you would have liked it more. A bit more poppy. Video is funny or “funny”, depends on your mood.

1 Like

When I saw the song I read the comment I wondered if someone did some homework and saw Hadag Nahash win a category previously. Did you see that?

This is mine. I’m glad you liked it. This was probably my favorite song that I entered in this Walrus and is the song I’ve listened to the most after submitting.

1 Like

I saw a while ago hadag won a category for microbet but didnt know it was yours

Man i just realized i have a great fucking “first time i heard it” story on hadag nachash song for swanky’s category.

1 Like

And finally the gold medal

In 1st place scoring 12 points: Ibitlan by Mdou Moctar

Based on the comment I expected something much more African sounding instead after a short intro it goes straight into traditional rock territory which surprised me. And when the vocals arrive it’s a pleasant surprise and the song takes on a unique character. Like salt on sweets you wouldn’t think it can work together so well but for some reason it does. It’s almost…

Alanis-Morissette - Screaming (Dogma)

Alright, alright. I’ll stop. Where was I? The vocals build on the strong foundation of a classic rock song all the way to the top of this Walrus. An early favorite and never in doubt because it’s flawless. I love it!

3 Likes

Good taste, this lad.

5 Likes

Great reveal. Far far better than @seities one, from an objective perspective.

3 Likes

Walrus - I Have To Sneeze

Alanis-Morissette - Thank You

for sharing your music with me. You are all awesome.

The Spotify playlist

6 Likes

I know, right?

2 Likes

Nice reveal, can’t argue with your marking too much either, definitely got much more interesting as it went on

4 Likes

Errrr…

5 Likes

Excellent reveal for Louis and Alanis! It’s fun when people add stuff like that with lots of gifs. Well played!

1 Like

My wife still occasionally brings up the night I ‘discovered’ this guy when I dragged her to some venue in a ‘dodgy’ part of town. She wanted to leave halfway through and I just said, ‘Ok, bye.’ I could see from her look she was surprised in a bad way, but he was really really good. No regrets.

(And there aren’t any actually dodgy bits of Paris.)

1 Like

No, that would have done worse. Not bad but too pop-py. BTW they look like the middle-Eastern LMFAO.

1 Like

I read that as “they look middle eastern lmao” and was confused

2 Likes

The fix is in!

1 Like