Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

It’s one of three songs from this category that made it on the latest mix cd I regularly make for my girlfriend.

2 Likes

It sounds like a fun little pop song. Why would it be polarizing?

I would have guessed you pick something more electronic after you scored well the last time with BT.

I basically thought that either Louis would hate it or it would’ve rated higher.

I think I just leveled myself here. I was too worried about what you knew/heard of/liked and tried to go that route.

1 Like

In 5th place scoring 8 points: Incubus by Recoil

If this song had stopped after three and a half minutes this would have finished on the nodium. Usually when I listen to music it’s sitting at the computer, driving in the car or on my headphones on the go. If I judged this song by how much it fits my listening habits this would also have been an easy nodium but I think it would not do it justice to look at it through that prism.

So why is this up here? There are other ways to enjoy music than I usually do. In the right setting this will have quite an impact. And most importantly because the second half is awesome. It has many great elements. It feels dark and twisted. The song quotes Apocalypse Now but it could easily be on the soundtrack for one of my favorite movies: The Crow.

3 Likes

Youtube link in your post didn’t work. This one works for me.

2 Likes

Thank you. I forgot that I couldn’t open the original link and had to find an alternative which then wasn’t available for North Americans(?).

the Secret Weapon song is the first one I managed to listen to all the way through, up to that point fairly slim pickings to my ears,

This is great though, helped by me being obsessed with Apocalypse Now

Lol i was like this sounds like an angrier depeche mode song and it’s some dude from depeche mode. Never been prouder. Now im sad that this is my proudest moment.

2 Likes

The best is yet to come!(?)

In 4th place scoring 9 points: 3rd Ward Bounce by Big Freedia

When this came on for the first time I thought to myself what the hell is this? The lyrics are beyond trivial. You can’t be serious. The beat isn’t that special either. It manages the impressive feat though that it gets better because it just keeps going and going.

Alanis-Morissette - Bobbing Head

This song is like someone making goofy faces at you. You might think that’s damn silly but you can only keep a straight face for so long until you can’t help but laugh. Or in this case bounce.

4 Likes

Damn, I almost did well

You didn’t mention that the vocals and the instruments are in different channels in the headphones like you did for that other entry

Check it out again with headphones; one channel has vocals and no instruments, the other instruments and no vocals

3 Likes

Bah! Bubble boy

I would not have guessed Louis to be a bounce fan. Fun track

1 Like

Before this Walrus I didn’t even know it existed.

1 Like

Horizons broadened - good enough for me

3 Likes

I listened again you are right. No idea why I hadn’t noticed that before.

We have reached the podium and on it are three worthy medallists

You know why I am excited? Because

4 Likes

In 3rd place scoring 10 points: The LayBack by Quarter To Africa

This could have still ended up higher if it wasn’t for two tiny flaws. I don’t care a lot about the rapping part. Maybe there’s some brilliant wordsmithing going on but if so it’s lost in non-translation. I can listen to rapping that I don’t understand and enjoy it but this is not on this level.

The second thing that could have made it even better if the song was just a little bit less …. laid back.

Alanis-Morissette - Shaking Head

Some extra energy could have gone a long way. Having said that it’s a very good song that I enjoyed very much. The rhythm and all the different elements come together nicely.

4 Likes