Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

I made it out of a Louis nodium! I don’t think I’ve ever done that before.

3 Likes

In 9th place scoring 4 points: The Will To Death by John Frusciante

I did not recognize the name and it turns out he is a former member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is a perfectly fine song. The guitar strums along nicely but does nothing more than that. While I enjoyed the switching between the regular and high singing it could have been better with more instrumental support. It’s a good song that ran into stiff competition.

Alanis, you have anything to add?

Alanis-Morissette - Boop

2 Likes

I knew you had it in you.

3 Likes

Another nodium!

Sorry about that. Maybe this will cheer you up

Walrus Tupperware Party

3 Likes

In 8th place scoring 5 points: Conjure Me by The Afghan Whigs

I might have read the band’s name someplace or other but couldn’t have told you anything about them. This song starts out strong right out of the gate with a great guitar sound. Regrettably when the singer enters the fray singing about blood he sounds a bit anemic

Alanis-Morissette - Shhhhh 2

which drags this down for about a minute before he decides to put some oomph into it. This has a distinct 90s alternative rock sound to it and wouldn’t you have guessed this was released in 1992. So they probably were a bit ahead of the curve at the time. I would have probably liked this much more back then however it’s not as fresh anymore. When the flat singer finally shows some emotion this is quite good. One the one hand I like the guitar sound way too much to feel good about putting this down here. On the hand it feels a bit too familiar and I decided to give the tiebreaker to something more original.

4 Likes

In 7th place scoring 6 points: Flight Of The Snow Moose by Gary Moore

When I first heard this I would never have guessed that it will end up down here. I was, of course, aware who Gary Moore is but I could name only two songs (Still Got The Blues For You & Over the Hills and Far Way). So I was curious if this will inspire me to do a deep dive into his extensive catalogue. Unfortunately it does not despite this being a good piece of music. For me vocals are an integral part of most songs and an instrumental number will always have to fight extra hard to fill the gap left by the absent singer. It does an admirable job at that. What I noticed over repeated listens was that I was admiring the skill more than the sound and I think I will be rarely going back to it.

3 Likes

Number 9 and 8 sounds decent but not sure what in your category made someone think of them

That’s me. Freaking Christmas I really wanted to find my first choice, it would have done really well given what you would have submitted.

2 Likes

Woah! i’m late to the party and still alive.

I really liked my submission for this category

1 Like

I will use the halftime break to get back to the what would I have submitted question. So as a back up I will choose some 90s German Dark Wave:

Wolfsheim - Once In A Lifetime

Again not something I can likely find a category for in a Walrus but maybe someone will enjoy it.

2 Likes

I only had a guess for three songs who submitted it and for this I thought it might be Pyatnitski.

1 Like

Now that’s a compliment!

1 Like

It’s decent enough.

1 Like

And this is not a compliment!

3 Likes

The comment mentioned jazz and drums so I thought of you.

This is mine. I’m glad I didn’t nodium, at least. Like I said, I had no clue what to do here.

4 Likes

In 6th place scoring 7 points: Power by Secret Weapons

Pre-listening impression: the thumbnail colors remind me of Gunship Noir. Please don’t be like Gunship Noir.

This is a fun little song. I don’t know how much staying power

it will have but for now I like listening to it. It has an infectious beat. The singer reminds me a bit of Bruno Mars and does a really good job to move this song a level above similar pop/dance fare. Fun – check. Beat – check. Singer – check. There isn’t really much else I can say about it.

1 Like

@Rivaldo has recently forced me to re-evaluate this sort of thing. I do like it, honest.

1 Like

This was me. Surprisingly not polarizing and instead dead middle of the pack.

1 Like