Upcoming Schedule REMINDER
(Full thing always in post #2)

Name Time
LouisCyphre 2021-02-13T21:00:00Z
meb 2021-02-14T00:00:00Z
SwankyWilder 2021-02-19T00:00:00Z or 2021-02-20T00:00:00Z

More sign ups, please.

1 Like

I am not sure if I will be able to rail Louis reveal today but I think this is the reveal I am most excited for. Like others, nothing between nodium or podium will surprise me here, but I expect to find a few really cool new things given the nature of the category.

It also helps that Louis puts on quite an awesome reveal in general, but I reserve the right to change my mind on that if I only get 1 point here…

1 Like

I have already traded away the podium ranks to Yuv, pauwl and pyatnitski. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

4 Likes

Yeah, definitely can’t stiff me now, I had to pretend to like some buskers or whatever.

3 Likes

Preview of tomorrow’s reveal: some of it’s bad, some of it is mediocre, and some of it is incredible. My entire order is currently determined except 1 and 2. I have never had such a tough decision on ordering the top 2 songs. I might have to flip a coin.

2 Likes

I am confident enough to proclaim that I have a good shot at mediocre.

3 Likes

Assemble!

@seities
@eyebooger
@SwankyWilder
@skydiver8
@Pauwl
@anon29622970
@NotBrucez
@smrk4
@Nicholasp27
@CanadaMatt3004
@Yuv
@pyatnitski

The reveal will begin in 10 minutes. I’m about 97% done so I will have to wing some of it.

7 Likes

Don’t take it too seriously if the review of your songs sounds overly negative. If your song scored a 80 I am much more likely to explain what kept it from getting a full 100 than I am to list all the positive things that got it up to a 80. So please keep that in mind when I am ripping your song.

The submissions cover a wide range musically which at times did not make it easy. The twelve songs combined to only 55 minutes and the Walrus got all my dog walking listening time. I listened to every song more than a dozen times and it didn’t feel like a chore at all. Even the nodium wasn’t a bother. This is testament to the quality of your song choices. Ranking them was a bit like answering: which is objectively best? Sushi, popcorn or steak? All I can say is I tried my best.

Some of the songs made me think of a particular artist so I decided to recruit her as a co-host

Alanis-Morissette - Fans

5 Likes

Oh hell yeah

1 Like

WHAT WOULD I HAVE SUBMITTED?

[I have posted this song before as the answer to this question which I have only just now had the presence of mind to check. To not cause any delays I will let it stand for now and maybe provide an alternative later.]

It is paradoxical to ask myself what I would have submitted to broaden my own horizon. So let’s turn this around: what would I have submitted to broaden your horizons? I had to think about it for a bit but then I remembered this incredibly beautiful aria that was specifically written for the movie “Hannibal”. It’s probably to risky to ever submit it to any Walrus so I’ll take the opportunity here to present to you:

Vide Cor Meum

So grab some popcorn (or sushi or steak). This reveal is ready for lift-off.

Alanis-Morissette - Smiling 2

3 Likes

This doesn’t bode well for me… or maybe it does?

1 Like

In 12th place scoring 1 point: Goodbye Song by The Moldy Peaches

You know what’s definitely worse than sushi, popcorn or steak? Moldy peaches. Everything about this screams: “We’re making music but we’re doing it like… you know… ironically.”

Alanis-Morissette - Smiling 1

With a minimalist song like this there is not much to grab onto. The male singer not doing a great job already takes away one of the few things in this song. I don’t think it’s terrible and I wasn’t looking for the skip button when it came on but I won’t be going back to it.

What I realized when listening on headphones is that the female singer is only on the left and the male singer only on the right channel. That’s a neat detail that could have moved the song up a rank or two if it appealed to me more.

2 Likes

In 11th place scoring 2 points: Deja Vu (Initial D) by Tsuko G.

My exposure to anime has indeed been very limited. When I first listened to this song it was while walking the dog and I didn’t remember the comment that came with it. What instead popped into my head was the question: “Is this a parody?”

Alanis-Morissette - Smiling 3

Another thing I wondered is if this is a cover of a rock/metal song. Replace the keyboards with electric guitars and you might have something.

When I later read the accompanying comment again it all made sense. Anime! I can see how that fits. It’s still too cheesy for my taste though.

2 Likes

I kinda like this :(

Tentatively hoping for a good placement here

1 Like

Siiiiiiiiggggggh. Really thought this might have hit

2 Likes

I haven’t a clue how I’ll do here. Not featured yet.

In 10th place scoring 3 points: The Air-Condition Nightmare by Mr. Bungle

Me: “Mr. Bungle? Is that the Mike Patton project? Or was that called Mr. Bojangles?”

Wikipedia: It’s Mike Patton.

Most of you will know him as the front man of Faith No More which I liked very much twenty years ago and I occasionally still listen to a handful of their songs. I never got into Mr. Bungle and if this song is representative of their catalogue it explains why. It’s too experimental for my taste. It jumps back and forth between different styles with obvious references to the Beach Boys. So they are playing surf rock but in a bit of a twisted fashion. What’s a good word for that?

Alanis-Morissette - Nodding

Anyway, all those pieces don’t fit together to a coherent whole for me.

Jalfrezi recently accused me of liking my music by the numbers. Maybe that’s less of an accusation and more of an observation. This is musical cuisine and I am better served with some down home cooking which doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the submitter trying to challenge my taste- and earbuds.

4 Likes

Good luck.

Sorry. It’s not you. It’s me.

4 Likes

Intermission

The next 5 have been exceedingly difficult to rank. How do you compare two songs that have nothing in common except that they all have something going for them? These got more listens than the rest in a vain attempt to try to figure it out. Ideally I wouldn’t have to put any of them in 9th place.

Alanis-Morissette - Licking Lips

Alas,…