Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

Since skydiver rule of terror make one spot on the podium obsolete i consider my 4th place a podium. Go me.

2 Likes

You can’t do that joke using German!

In 2nd place with 11 points

Nina Simone – Mississippi Goddam

Nina Simone, Goddam what a performance. Anger, exasperation, bewilderment, resignation, yet determined too. I can’t do a better job of writing anything about this piece, so let me quote one of the many haunting parts of it.

Lord have mercy on this land of mine
We all gonna get it in due time
I don’t belong here
I don’t belong there
I’ve even stopped believing in prayer

Also a roundhouse kick to the mouth of incremental change, as the backing voices interject, “Go slow!”

Oh but this whole country is full of lies
You’re all gonna die and die like flies
I don’t trust you any more
You keep on saying “Go slow!”
“Go slow!”
But that’s just the trouble
“Do it slow”
Desegregation
“Do it slow”
Mass participation
“Do it slow”
Reunification
“Do it slow”
Do things gradually
“Do it slow”
But bring more tragedy
“Do it slow”
Why don’t you see it
Why don’t you feel it
I don’t know
I don’t know

Just beyond great.

Historical event: Medgar Evers - Wikipedia, Jim Crow laws - Wikipedia

5 Likes

I’m back. Don’t make a fool out of me @smrk4 !

1 Like

Mine. This song is just a gut punch every time. Of course she was hated at the time for it, but how brave and badass is she to sing about this stuff as it was happening?

I’m glad you liked it.

7 Likes

Great choice, and was on my shortlist. I also considered Nina Simone for Pauwls category. You are killing this Walrus

4 Likes

In 1st place with 12 points

Public Service Broadcasting – Go!

How could I possibly rank anything higher than Nina Simone’s masterpiece? The first reason I chose this submission is because it crushes on what my personal musical pleasure points are. The beat, the bass, and the synth are all perfect. Love the Mission Control samples. And the clincher was the lead guitar riffs that cut in later with my favorite type of distortion, especially at the end when the riff gets harmonized.

The second reason, let’s just review the events people chose: a school shooting, WWII, WWI, the Armenian Genocide, a Native American massacre, political imprisonment, The Great Depression, religious war, imperial/colonial injustice, WWII, Jim Crow. Now, for correctly judging that the human condition is mostly a sorrowful affair, award yourselves a bonus point. But surely something must have happened at some point that was both historic and mostly positive? So this turned out to be the one track in the bunch that went optimistic, and it worked out for it. Made me think of Peggy’s Burger Chef presentation from Mad Men. I like this a lot, a clear winner for me.

Historical event: Apollo 11 - Wikipedia

7 Likes

And that’s the end, hope you enjoyed it.

walrus2

8 Likes

A fine reveal, thank you. Scores possibly slightly delayed this time as, like most of you I suppose, I’m watching the biathlon from earlier. No spoilers!

5 Likes

I really wrestled with it, I liked most of the song a lot. Did you consider this version? It goes to weird places too, but there isn’t the harsh static.

2 Likes

YYYAAAASSSSSSS!!!

Seeing your musical tastes I was quietly hopeful I would be in for a decent score here. Super happy you liked it!!!

4 Likes

Thanks for the reveal. I think you did a good job explaining why you ranked the songs the way you did.

4 Likes

I thought yours may have been the Apollo 11 one, not just because of the space connection, but I think you won a category with something that was kind of electronic with a space theme to it or something like that?

Awesome reveal Smrk. You had nothing to worry about

3 Likes

If I wasn’t in charge of scoring I’d say calling your shot that confidently is worth an extra mark. But I am and I’m not giving it.

3 Likes

heh, you’re thinking of BT, Satellite.

definitely not K-Pop.

Obviously going to sound biased, but you did a great job with the reveal smrk4. Going to go back and listen through more of the entries this evening.

2 Likes

I ninja’d the BTS out lol, yeah I remember liking that submission a lot

1 Like

great reveal up till the end where you gave seities 12 points. that was wrong.

7 Likes

I like this too. Right up my alley. Not sure it’s better than Nina Simone, but definitely enjoyable!

2 Likes