Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

In 11th place with 2 points

Rocket From the Tombs - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo

It was tough to place this so low because it was very promising for the first two minutes. Cool hi-hat going on, guitar raw but not too raw, and I liked the vocals. The finish was also great. However, at 2:50 we get an all knobs to 11 guitar solo that grated on the various parts of my auditory system. Then at 4:25 there seems to be a 30 second homage to the ear bleeding static I remember from the age of scanning between AM radio stations. I’m not sure if it was supposed to symbolize anything, but I’m not enlightened enough to appreciate the noise factor, it just irritated me, otherwise this is a top half entry easily.

Historical event: Doolittle Raid - Wikipedia

3 Likes

in 10th place with 3 points

John Cale – Graham Greene

I tried to like this more, I just couldn’t get there. It’s perfectly nice, but also quite far from anything that gets my juices flowing. It had one of the more interesting comments about the song’s historical context:

From Paris 1919, an album about Europe as the Treaty of Versailles was signed. This one’s about British officers coming back home to lord it over the plebs, after having just presided over their slaughter. Lots of officers died miserably too, but tactics in WW1 were appalling so I’ll allow it.

Historical event: Treaty of Versailles - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Given I liked the first two so much I was expecting this. I did have no confidence in the selection, though, I was mostly relieved of having thought of a thing.

(I do love the song and album, just I think it’s a bit strange and not a crowdpleaser.)

4 Likes

whew, another nodium avoided.

3 Likes

I am curious who submitted this. Can’t fit this to any of the musical profiles in my head of my fellow contestants.

1 Like

I only have a few minutes between calls, but I wish to register that I, for one, appreciate the effort that went into the theater before the reveal proper.

I look forward to checking back in about an hour from now to collect my 12 points.

7 Likes

In 9th place with 4 points

System of a Down – P.L.U.C.K.

I have System of a Down in the mental category of talented, unique, but just not quite for me. Nothing wrong with the song per se, you just ran into my personal taste ceiling on the sound of the band. If I were less familiar with their sound I would have placed it higher.

Historical event: Armenian genocide - Wikipedia

4 Likes

I think it is a little bit atypical of their submissions at least. Though certainly not without precedence. Patience!

3 Likes

Aren’t you forgetting about someone?

1 Like

4 Likes

My Fibonacci dream is over.

I’ve got a pretty good Omaha 8 hand though.

7 Likes

It’s weird because I checked the maths lots of times before I posted.

2 Likes

In 8th place with 5 points

Buffy Sainte-Marie – Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee

A couple of things to like about this entry. Starts off in the style of talky-folk but quickly kicks into a bluesy feel with a satisfying chorus. Her voice is beautiful and has a quality to it that I don’t know the proper word for (like a tremolo almost). Gripping account of the contemporary Native experience with institutional injustice. Reasons it didn’t score higher: still not quite in my wheelhouse in terms of personal musical taste. Also slightly repetitive, although I am one to talk given what I submit.

Historical event: Wounded Knee Massacre - Wikipedia

4 Likes

In 7th place with 6 points

The Specials – Nelson Mandela

Pretty cool, although I’m embarrassed to say that the instrumentation and arrangement reminded me of Hot Hot Hot by Buster Pointdexter for some reason, such is the breadth of my musical knowledge. Also a definite bull’s-eye in terms of category fit. Same as the previous entry, not rating it higher because of personal musical taste, not going to listen to it more than a few times.

Historical event: Nelson Mandela - Wikipedia

6 Likes

Pretty good mix of songs so far, even if most of them aren’t my cup of tea.

3 Likes

not a ska fan? Heh, this isn’t mine, but I feel like mine is coming soon. I’ve been worried about musical taste fit for your category. We shall see.

In 6th place with 7 points

Rage Against The Machine – The Ghost of Tom Joad

Not a huge RATM guy but this is really good stuff and if it were simply about replayability this would have been nearer to the podium. Like I can rock out to this no problem. But I’m too familiar with the sound, and close calls had to be made.

Historical event: Great Depression - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Nice. I’m ok with that.

2 Likes

nice to see one of my favorite RATM tracks make an appearance. I actually considered submitting this. Guess I’m glad I chose something else.

1 Like

In 5th place with 8 points

The Clans Are Marching – Rebellion

This one was pretty fun. Closest so far to the kind of music that blows my hair back. I detect some Iron Maiden in there. Gets a little too growly in the verses but hey, it still melts face. Bagpipes at the end? Nice touch. Cool historical connection to the Jacobite Uprising which I knew basically nothing about, good song, good read.

Historical event: Jacobite rising of 1745 - Wikipedia

5 Likes