Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

I think this was the most trouble I had finding an entry for. I rarely listen to lyrics or remember song titles, and apparently folk music was no good. You know, the one that sings about history all the bloody time!

Category host name : smrk4

Category : A song about a historical event. Allowing a fair bit of latitude about what counts as a historical event i.e. it doesn’t have to be like a jazz flute sonata about the Treaty of Westphalia. Please identify the historical event in your submission; if you have a history take to go with it that’s encouraged but not at all required.

Musical tastes : I like metal (but not the screamy stuff), most rock, some blues, some pop. Also into a lot of new-age electronic stuff, but not dance music per se. Neutral on punk and hip hop. Country is generally a no go, although with this category I can’t rule it out. I don’t like huddle around the campfire folky stuff, sorry.

Any other judging notes : I will try to be open to submissions I don’t necessarily love but that have musical merit (as I understand it). Won’t be too harsh on popular songs if the historical connection is good, but stay away from lol obvious choices as I already have a few songs in mind that are going to be instant nodiums.

First reveal evar for yours truly, I hope I don’t screw anything up. Let’s get started.

7 Likes

I like my submission for this category. We will find out if smrk4 is a man of culture and sophistication.

3 Likes

Let’s get rolling, in -999999th place we have @CantTakeAHint with U2’s Sunday Bloody Sunday

In -999998th place we have @ImSureZeppelinIsntObvious with Led Zeppelin’s The Immigrant Song

And in -999997th place it’s @ButItHadADateInIt with Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture

Then we have a heap of dreck, so let’s just go straight to the undisputed winner.

In first place and scoring 9000 points it’s @suzzers_ghost with Gordon Lightfoot’s “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”. Great song, but I how many times can this damn thing sink?

Ok, that concludes my reveal, see you all next time.

9 Likes

Wow my PMs are blowing up, I think people are very pleased with what I have done here. Let me check…

7 Likes

Well, you learn something new every day.

5 Likes

Worst reveal in history

Herodotus is rolling in his grave

History is lies agreed upon; and this crap

Wow guys, harsh.

6 Likes

What’s happening?

1 Like

The next reveal will be tomorrow 9:30pm CET by pyatnitski. Do we have an updated scoreboard yet?

5 Likes

On it.

5 Likes

Im…

Wat?

1 Like

Ok, milked the build up long enough! General thoughts: a lot of submissions were about war and various injustices. It was hard to mark down certain songs that spoke authentically to these things but just weren’t for me. With that said, starting for reals.

2 Likes

In 12th place with 1 point

Flyleaf – Cassie

The chorus is nice, there’s passion in her voice, just not much else going on in the song. I looked up the metal version and maybe that scores 1 or 2 points higher with me but that’s about it. Not saying it’s bad but I needed more. Columbine also seems too recent to me to be historical, so I’m probably grading it down a bit because of that even if I shouldn’t.

Historical event: Columbine High School massacre - Wikipedia

5 Likes

Absolutely no idea how my entry will fare, but 8th will keep up my progression

2 Likes

Did I just have a fever dream?

Am I dying?

2 Likes

Yes. Every second of your life. From birth until you return to the sweet embrace of the void.

Edit: I am fun at parties.

5 Likes

Preview of my category…

Fuck

2 Likes

I really didn’t expect to, but I enjoyed this.

4 Likes

is a fitting description. Some songs don’t work well as an acoustic version.

2 Likes

I find it hard not to enjoy Flyleaf. She has a fantastic voice. But yes, this needed something a bit more.

4 Likes