Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

In 3rd place with 10 points

Toad The Wet Sprocket - Nightingale Song

Compared to others I feel like I am not great at articulating my appreciation (or lack thereof) for songs as I reveal them. I just really like this song. It feels soothing. Something about the vocals really hits home for me. I get to the end of the 2:02 and I feel like the song left me wanting more every time. This is going into my regular rotation, and I am super glad you submitted this one. It gives me the happies.

4 Likes

ooh, this is a college classic for me, I’m guessing this is skydiver, I think she’s mentioned toad before

3 Likes

Yeah most likely, she has submitted a different track of theirs to a previous category of mine. Thought it was funny she had such low expectations for it.

2 Likes

In 2nd place with 11 points

Jetta - I’d Love To Change The World

This is excellent. Watching the film clip while listening gave me goosebumps a few times. I love music where I feel like it just draws me completely into the song and holds me there, and this is one of those tracks. I have a feeling I probably heard it as part of a commercial at some point or another, but certainly not enough that I could place it or had this on my radar, let alone in my playlist where it now lives. Catchy, engrossing, replayable, this one ticks all the boxes for me. 11 points, well earned.

6 Likes

Damn it, wanted that first W!

8 Likes

You’ve probably heard the original by Ten Years After. This is a really trippy modern cover.

4 Likes

Wait, what! I’m 3/3 in podiums so far? How is this possible?!

Yes, Toad is mine. I’m glad you like it!

5 Likes

I guess that means goatnitski has done it again…

In 1st place with 12 points

Richard Dawson - Jogging

Our entrant says:

Song starts at 24s. This is about things changing and other things staying the same, some good, some bad, some wait and see and hope.

I knew the first time I listened to this that it would be one of those songs that I would appreciate the more I heard it. It took me a few listens before I even realized that the lyrics in the chorus didn’t repeat. Sometimes I feel like I am hearing a level of talent that is going to take me some time to unravel the depths of, and this is one of those songs. I mean, he’s singing about a lot of nothing and at the same time singing about about macro changes in the society around him. The song sticks in my head, there is that crazy changeup at 3:41, and just dozens of other things I want to point out. I want to say this is genius, and at the same time I lack the capacity to justify this claim to someone who asked me to. Outstanding stuff, and a worthy winner.

8 Likes

Excellent reveal. Well done Seities

7 Likes

This was the song I had the most affection for in the contest, so very happy. This guy first came to my attention doing 20 minutes of guitar noise in a church that puts on avant garde concerts here. His albums are sort of modern folk music that sound very little like folk music and with an unbelievable array of influences. They’re increasingly ‘pop’. He’s wonderful.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed this category. Thanks to everyone for your submissions and for indulging my reveal. I hope you found something new or were reminded of something old to appreciate.

9 Likes

Round 3 in the books and it could appear that no one’s catching skydiver if she keeps this up. However, look further down. Eyebooger appears to be getting the Fibonacci numbers as points. By my calculations, then, he’s on for 607, which would be a world record by some distance. Ominous.

R3

7 Likes

Sigh, I feel like I’m going to get 0 points tomorrow

5 Likes

I feel like I’m going to get an “it’s not you, it’s me” 1 point nodium ranking.

words that have (literally) never been uttered in the history of Walrus.

I have a few more iffy submissions coming up…hopefully they turn out like this one.

3 Likes

I’m revealing tomorrow?

1 Like

Oh shoot I just realized I trash talked the revealer

4 Likes

Back to my rightful nodium spot

1 Like

siren.gif Walrus Reveal Alert siren.gif

@LouisCyphre
@SwankyWilder
@skydiver8
@seities
@anon29622970
@NotBruceZ
@pauwl
@pyatnitski
@CanadaMatt3004
@eyebooger
@Nicholasp27
@Yuv

We shall be underway momently

4 Likes

zomg

(I have no idea how this one is going to play)