Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

And right on cue. That’s my song. I suck at categories that are centered around a word. The best I can do is find the word in a song title. I’m terrible at identifying songs with certain lyrics.

6 Likes

In 8th place with 5 points

The Cardigans - Erase/Rewind

I like this. Easy on the ear. I like the way the electronic fuses with acoustic-sounding guitar licks. Could easily imagine a track like this playing while at a rooftop bar. It was just a little too same-same to rank higher right now.

2 Likes

5 points not the best, but at least I doubled my score.

7 Likes

From this point on it gets really hard…

In 7th place with 6 points

Savatage - When The Crowds Are Gone

Gah. Initially I had this pegged for a lower spot because I just found it a little long, and I guess whiny? But it continued to grow on me. I mean the guy can sing, I’m digging the guitar, it builds nicely. More than any other song in this category I am struggling with where to place this one. Places 7-4 really were changing by the day and I think this song probably had more upward trajectory in it if I revealed later.

4 Likes

You’re growing exponentially now!

6 Likes

Just when I started to feel good about my submission because it’s so different than what was previously revealed…

I sent Seities a comment to go along with the song why I picked it:

“The protagonist has to face the fact that he has not as popular as he once was. The fans are not showing up anymore for him. When I listened to it this week I imagined this is how it must be for Trump sitting in Mar-a-Lago right now, sad and lonely, longing to bathe once more in the adulation of his supporters. I was amazed how many lines fit Trump to a T.”

4 Likes

I like this a lot. Not sure what the rest of the songs are but this would place pretty highly with me

1 Like

Apologies, I should have posted your comment with it.

It’s doing my head in a little that the song is growing on me with every listen. I really can’t tell if a week from now I will be wondering how in the heck it didn’t podium, or if I will be thinking I ranked it higher than I should have.

Such is Walrus…

*Edit to add - I particularly like the wail at 4:00 - has been getting stuck in my head the last 24 hours.

1 Like

In 6th place with 7 points

The Undertones - Here comes the summer

Great submission. Fun, catchy, and immediately lifts my mood. I wish I had a better reason to give for why you are in 6th instead of higher, but I got nothin. The other songs just gave me a certain something that nudged them ahead.

4 Likes

Good one to arrive for, love the Undertones. Still alive but this usually means the hammer is about to fall.

2 Likes

Didn’t realise this had started, and I’m still alive

4 Likes

Spoke too soon. Derry’s finest was myself.

I’ve gone 2nd 4th 6th, progression of sorts

4 Likes

You’re gonna be in my territory soon enough

4 Likes

In 5th place with 8 points

Sevendust - Seasons

I’ve listened to some Sevendust previously but they seem so keep falling off my radar. This is another good one, and like the previously revealed song listening to it can change my energy for the better. I can’t think of much else to say about this one, but thanks for the submission.

4 Likes

There it is. Solid result, I’ll take it. Absolutely love this song.

3 Likes

In 4th place with 9 points

Judas Priest - Victim of Changes

The entrant says:

Not all changes are for the better… but the riffs in this song are fucking tasty.

Damn straight they are. I am happy to gorge myself on these. I also feel quite foolish in never having checked out Judas Priest before now. Incredible that these guys have been doing it since the 60’s, and no doubt have heavily influenced some of my favourite bands. Mad respect. Really great submission, much appreciated.

4 Likes

This is me, thought I had a chance here, bubbled again

4 Likes

Gotta love this bit from wikipedia:

The band recorded Sad Wings of Destiny over two weeks in November and December 1975 at Rockfield Studios in Wales.[31] The band stayed sober during the 12-hour recording sessions.

12 hours sober?! Bloody hell.

9 Likes

First Podium!!

7 Likes

This wins a number of other categories I have run. I knew from first listen it was going to be right up there somewhere.

3 Likes