Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

7 Likes

I’m about to eat some North Korean take away, surely the perfect accompaniment to songs about bad people doing bad things.

2 Likes

There’s honestly not a single song I disliked here. You all get 6.5 points. Good job. @Pauwl you’re up next.

9 Likes

I think I have a good chance here provided that my submission was liked and rated highly

3 Likes

A million years ago when I played online poker I learned that FullTilt uses continuous shuffling in their RNG. This might be phrased poorly but the idea, as I understood it at the time, was that if you called an all-in bet one millisecond later or earlier, the cards would have been different.

I kinda feel this way about my ranking here. A lot of songs could have been ranked differently if I did the reveal earlier or later. But here we go anyway.

When I picked the category I had more of a story-telling theme in mind and didn’t really realize that protests/political songs also fit the category. So while it’s not what I really wanted, I didn’t judge against it because it clearly fits the category well.

I was familiar with most entries. Either I knew the song itself, the artist or the music style very well. Other than the song in last place, I tried to not put it into consideration when ranking because I didn’t specify anything in the notes. So you did a great job sending songs I like, I did a poor job defining a category that will introduce me to new things.

At the end I ranked it according to which songs made me come back and listen to them again after the many mandatory listens.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m kinda expecting 1st here, unless my entry finishes somewhere between 2-12.

4 Likes

In 12th place with 1 point
Slick Rick - Children’s Story

This is the 3rd time I’m judging a Walrus category, which means I’ve reviewed ~36 songs. There are approximately 138 trilliard songs on youtube. This specific one was already sent to me in one of the previous 2 categories.

The last time it got 5th place and 9 points. This time I got a lot more entries I really like and the added effect of having listened to this already very familiar song a dozen times for the last Walrus lands it in last place.

Personally whenever I pick a song that I think is pretty well known I search to see if it was reviewed before. I don’t fault anyone for not doing so, you just got a bit unlucky.

Link to previous review - Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread - #364 by Yuv

6 Likes

8 Likes

I don’t know how much I should step in an reveal entries prior to the person themselves, but I will say that it’s not CanadaMatt and seeing what happened to the song in the last grab bag I had to go triple check I’d not messed anything up.

4 Likes

Lol yep it’s not me. Did I reply to the wrong post? That was supposed to be to the 6.5 points for everyone post

3 Likes

Yeah it’s not the song I guessed CM sent.

This one was, however:

In 11th place with 2 points
The Offspring - LAPD

The bassline at the start of the song was pretty cool. Nothing too interesting besides that. The lyrics are straight forward. Surprising n-word usage. There’s really nothing to dislike either. Good ‘protest’ song I imagine around the Rodney King riots. Just nothing memorable either. I didn’t end up going back to it much the day after.

4 Likes

Would appreciate a recap of categories for lurkers who aren’t participating.

Tragic to see such a good song getting last place but can’t really argue with the reasoning.

No, it was correct, but the juxtaposition and the form guide might have given the wrong impression.

1 Like

3 Likes

I probably confused the issue with my reply to you. Ill just delete it :-)

(Also congrats on exceeding your points average in this reveal)

3 Likes

My category was “crime”.

Also fuck you forum thingy:

Let others join the conversation

This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 30% of the replies here.

It could be even better if you gave other people space to share their points of view, too. Can you invite them over?

8 Likes

Shocking. Maybe meb? He seems to be into more popular stuff.

Btw, doing my best Pauwl impression with this

2 Likes

I’m still alive!

3 Likes