Walrus Grab Bag 2 - The Walrus Strikes Back

relaxed, accommodating the Goat

seitiesGoat will update :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ugh; came to post my category but checked the others first and MJiggy already took it.

Will figure something else out shortly

1 Like

Itā€™s availableā€¦for a price

1 Like

Categories posted in this thread by end of day Friday.

Entries for each category to Pauwl (or myself for Pauwls category) by end of day 25th August.

Allow a few days for Pauwl to disseminate all the entries to the category hosts (it takes a while fo sho). Then likely a few days after that people can start their reveals as soon as they are ready. Ill post more around that stuff closer to the 25th though.

3 Likes

Update on categories:

Category host name: NotBruceZ
Category: A cover where the performing artist is of a different biological sex than the original artist. In case of a band, consider the lead singer. In case the song has a featured artist, it is the main artist who counts.
Musical tastes: Very eclectic, but I tend to like music in my vocal range that I can sing along to. My favorite artist is Billy Joel. My favorite genre is 90ā€™s non-grunge alternative, but I occasionally listen to songs recorded in the 1930s and I occasionally listen to current Top 40 radio.
Any other judging notes: I wonā€™t penalize anyone for a song I am very familiar with because I used to be a rabid collector of covers, but non-hits will win a tiebreaker. I prefer it when the cover artist puts their own spin on it instead of a note-for-note recreation.

Category host name: pyatnitski

Category: Jazz (or obv jazz influenced) or folk (or obv folk influenced).
For folk I mean anything credibly called folk music from anywhere in the world.

Musical tastes: Folk, jazz, improv, noise, bleeps/bloops, all sorts. Iā€™ll give anything a listen once. I used to listen to loads of weirder indie stuff, but hardly ever do now. I love some classic rock/metal/pop, but am very ignorant about lots of that thanks to a youth spent as a music snob.

Any other judging notes: Iā€™ll be lenient with the ā€˜influencedā€™ parts, but I might want to see your working. I wanted this to just be jazz but I worry about jazzphobia. Because of that Iā€™ll give jazz submissions a preference in tiebreakers, but if you send me Kenny G or something by [ jazz great everyone knows even if they hate jazz ] expect nothing.

Category host name: cassette
Category: A song with a great guitar riff, intro, or solo
Musical tastes: Rap, metal, punk, hardcore, alt country, beep boops, anything experimental, anything awesome or depressing or upbeat. No autotune or top 40ā€™s please!
Any other judging notes: We all know guitars are the best instrument. Give me some finger picking, face shredding, or a sick riff. Try to pick something I might not have heard before.

Category host name: Pauwl
Category: A love song. Or song about love/relationships. I would prefer positive songs rather than lost love or unrequited love.
Musical tastes: Current music is mostly indie or what falls under that general umbrella. I despise most popular music of the 90ā€™s. Post MP3s, I havenā€™t really followed pop music. Early 80ā€™s and back, is wide open. Tons of cool stuff to discover.
Any other judging notes: Overly familiar songs will be punished. I donā€™t want over the top torch songs. If youā€™re thinking Whitney Houston, think again. Please, no cheese.

Category host name: skydiver8
Category: A song that is mostly about, invokes or heavily references a specific place. It doesnā€™t have to be happy or exotic, just interesting.
Musical tastes: Anything but screamy metal. Modern country-pop is probably gonna rank low, as well, but I highly doubt anyone would submit that anyway.
Any other judging notes: Since most of us are prisoners right now, letā€™s travel via music! Note: When I travel, I like to get real. Sure, Iā€™ll see the touristy stuff, but I also want to get to know the real people and food and soul of a place, even if itā€™s not all good. Take that for what you will.

Category host name: eyebooger
Category: A 2017-2020 political song appropriate for the times we live in.
Musical tastes: Mostly modern rock (anything from folk to metal) and catchy pop. But it doesnā€™t have to be that. Alt-hip hop act Rizzle Kicks won my last category. The only genre that is a likely loser right out of the gate would be country.
Any other judging notes: Iā€™m basically looking for the next generation Rage Against The Machine. It doesnā€™t have to be the same style of music as them, but I want the anger and/or the message to be clear.

Category host name: MJiggy
Category: A song from a movie, TV show, or video game soundtrack
Musical tastes Iā€™ve made a reputation for myself (at least in my head) for liking popular music but I wouldnā€™t say thatā€™s exactly accurate. I listen to some popular stuff but like a lot of alternative/indie rock, some hip hop, and just generally like being exposed to different genres of music although I definitely lean more towards ā€œrockā€ these days.
Any other judging notes For this category I really donā€™t want songs that were commercial hits. They can be from popular pieces of work but I will dock points if I would be expected to already be familiar with the song. Iā€™ve immensely enjoyed the soundtracks of several movies released over the past few years but I wonā€™t say which because people might pick them. Also they do not have to be in English; I donā€™t watch anime but I do sometimes like songs from it.

Category host name: Yuv
Category: A song that was released in 2020. I donā€™t listen to enough new music. I hope you young hip individuals can introduce me to music in the year of the pandemic
Any other judging notes: I wonā€™t specifically penalize highly known songs but tbh i donā€™t know many songs released this year to begin with

edit because never being understood is very depressing - I donā€™t actually care what genre you send. I donā€™t like Metal or Prog Rock as much, but that doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t send it

Category host name: seities
Category: A song with a scream. To expand, in a lot of punk hardcore you might say the singer is screaming every word. So that counts. But also, one long or short scream in the song counts. Iā€™m not judging based on the scream itself.
Musical tastes: I generally lean more towards things on the faster/heavier side within the following genres: Rock/Punk/Metal/EDM/Rap. Anything from 90ā€™s onwards is probably going to have a better chance a high ranking.
Any other judging notes: If itā€™s overly familiar, there will be a penalty. Try and keep it under 8 minutes, and if I am liking a 3 minute song and an 8 minute song a comparable amount then I am going to rank the 3 minute song higher.

Some examples in case it helps:

Slint - Good Morning, Captain: https://youtu.be/J87vtrC_JBM?t=398 1 . The link should start you at about 6:38 of the song. The scream is central to a climactic end to the song.
Paint It Black - Greetings, Fellow Insomniacs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_meLg1UW9EI 1 - Dude is pretty much screaming the whole song.
Tool - 4 degrees: https://youtu.be/8NGemR1cqZQ?t=213 2 - Clip should take you straight to 3:33 where Maynard belts out ā€œLet meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeā€¦inā€.

Really, even if there is just a 3 second scream in the song somewhere that has an impact, its going to work for the category.

Category host name: SwankyWilder
Category: It is documented that this summer is Hot as a Haddock - I would like anything featuring the word Hot, or itā€™s derivatives, or anything Fish related
Musical tastes: Likes - pop in all its glorious forms - and my definition of pop is very wide. I do like a good tune obscured by noise. Dislikes - Jazz, Folk, Hard Rock, Metal apart from the bits of these I arbitrarily decide to like
Any other judging notes: Familiarity breeds contempt, except when it doesnā€™t

Category host name: Rivaldo
Category: a song with a yeah!! or many yeahs! in it. ā€œohhsā€ and various other non-language vocalizations that are distinct from a scream will also work.
Musical tastes: Magic
Any other judging notes: I have my doubts, what if Iā€™m wrong?

Waiting on: @CanadaMatt3004 @Nicholasp27 @LouisCyphre. I donā€™t think its going to matter if you guys need a bit more time since submissions arenā€™t til 25th, but by the end of the weekend at latest pls :-)

1 Like

Damn you @Rivaldo. Iā€™ve got lots of "Uh!"s and "Oi!"s but no ā€œYeah!ā€ just yet. Working on itā€¦

1 Like

Never mind! I found a winner. Donā€™t relax the rules nowā€¦

1 Like

Does it need ! or just a simple Yeah is enough?

1 Like

I almost included ohhhs and various other non-language vocalizations that are not screams. letā€™s add that to my category, please

@seities can we edit that into my category? thx

@Yuv no exclamation necessary lol can be a less enthusiastic yeah

Edited!

1 Like

Category host name: Nicholasp27
Category: a haunting or hauntingly beautiful song; I donā€™t have an exact definition of this, so Iā€™m open to what qualifies. Some songs that I think of are scalaā€™s cover of creep, nancy Sinatraā€™s bang bang from kill bill, mad world by Gary Jules and Amy Leeā€™s listen to the rain.
Musical tastes: female over male singers; symphonic metal, alternative/hard rock, singer songwriter. I donā€™t usually like electronic/pop beats over the singing; prefer stripped down songs or just guitar/piano/drums/bass; for this category some ambiance or mood music is likely/expected, but it should be more behind the singer rather than on top of them.
Any other judging notes: Since this is open to interpretation, i will judge based on how I like the song much more than category fit. Of course, something like aquaā€™s Barbie Girl is such a bad fit it would do horribly regardless of the song quality, so please do try to stick to the intention of the category.

6 Likes

Category host name: CanadaMatt3004
Category: A symphonic piece of video game music. Iā€™m looking for a piece of music played entirely by a symphony that has appeared in a video game at some time or another.
Musical tastes: Iā€™ve been falling asleep nightly to the Crosscode soundtrack and I love it so much. Its not played by a symphony, so it wouldnā€™t count (and I wouldnt want you to submit it anyway) but for some inspiration - CrossCode (Original Game Soundtrack) - Album by Deniz Akbulut | Spotify
Any other judging notes: Iā€™m pretty open to anything here. It doesnā€™t need to be obscure. Iā€™ve listened to a lot of video game soundtracks over the years, but so long as its performed by a symphony you should be good.

2 Likes

Is this like a known thing to eveeyone? I donā€™t feel like i have any knowledge of video game symphonic music

1 Like

I have zero knowledge of this type of music. You and I can compete for last ;)

2 Likes

I feel like this is a really neat idea, but a bit niche for grab bag. I played a lot of games in my younger years but would 100% be googling for something to submit here.

Could we perhaps broaden the category to be a song that makes use of a symphonic instrument in some way? If that would still be appealing to you of course.

1 Like

Itā€™s not hard to search youtube for the symphony version of your favorite video game music.

Much much easier than many of these categories to find options.

1 Like

What if you like music but donā€™t like video games?

AFAF

1 Like

Yeah, that would be easy, but that will only give me the music of my favorite video game, not my favorite symphonic music in a video game (which is not something I have).

Thatā€™s why I asked if itā€™s only me. If people actually have favorite pieces of music from video games then itā€™s fine.

Which do you think is tougher? Perhaps that one needs to be broadened as well.

1 Like

Hmmmm, ok, let me think of a more broad way of approaching it.

1 Like