Walrus Grab Bag 2 - The Walrus Strikes Back

Like, I don’t know a single thing about Folk or Jazz, so Ill be looking for help in those realms. I am not so sure how video game music differs in that way

Just realised I can submit this for one of the categories. Tempted.

2 Likes

Exactly

People can youtube and find one they like just like they will for jazz/folk

Any folk music from anywhere in the world? And then only ‘influenced by’? Jesus.

But, anyway, I certainly don’t want to slog my way through 15 googled pieces of shite, give me a bit and I’ll put up another.

1 Like

I’m not saying you should change your category, but ANY folk or jazz is much broader than a specific type of video game music, right? We could all just suck it up and not stress. Or maybe allow each person to drop one category of their choosing? Not quite sure how that would work with scoring though.

1 Like

:woman_shrugging:

It’s not your favorite song in the category

It’s a song you think the person will like

You don’t have to know the category to find a decent submission

I’m not sure why we arbitrarily at his genre but not other genres.

Just do your best with each category

To me it’s a favorite of mine that I hope the person would like as well.

I don’t really get the tone here tbh but it’s a Poe’s law thingy. All I did was ask if I’m the only one who has no clue about the category. I think that comparing it to a “influenced by jazz/folk” in a music game is kinda weird but I’m probably misjudging the world of video game instrumentals.

Anyway it probably will be fun to youtube some old video games thingy

3 Likes

We can do like olympic sailing where they take off your worst score. It will also give an adventage to those with top and bottom finishes ove middle of the pack guys which i think is a good thing

1 Like

Ahhh the Walrus…I do love the passion it brings out in people.

The hardest thing really is the categories, and with Grab Bag having lots more of them, this is where it gets a bit tricky and why I tried to call for something broad in my initial post. Maybe I could have done a better job with that.

I think ideally in this format we want to have categories where people can see it and connect a song they already know to that category. Its kinda the difference between;

the category catering to the contestants, and giving them a chance to share a piece of music they know and like

and

the contestants catering to the category, where they have to hunt for something to meet a criteria.

Of course that causes challenges because we all have different looking playlists and what we “know and like” varies. And its a slippery slope where we could all start nitpicking at different categories here and how easily we can find something that fits, and if we wanted to cater to absolutely everyone we would all end up with extremely broad categories that look a lot like each other.

Anyway, to go back to what kicked off these latest posts, I personally saw CanadaMatt’s category as a combination of something a bit niche (video game music) and one specific genre (symphony). I tend to think I have pretty eclectic tastes, so if I can’t connect it to anything in my playlist I assume others are going to struggle as well. As someone who played a lot of video games growing up I genuinely do think its a fun idea but I think for most of us it is something where we would be searching for something to submit.

Ultimately there is a lot of subjectivity here. I can say for sure my post asking if CM would mind broadening the category would have come regardless of anyone else commenting on it, and of course it’s nothing at all personal. @CanadaMatt3004 if you are ok with broadening it or choosing another category that would still be fun for you, could you please do that?

Since I know @pyatnitski has a very broad range of musical interest, and since it seems some people are going to struggle a bit more with folk/jazz+influenced, Mr goat would you mind at all picking a different category?

For all the other categories, let’s leave them as they are but for the ones that have the 2020/2017-2020 limits, if you are struggling to find something and adding one extra year helps, lets make that ok.

I hope everyone is ok with the above. I know its just me making decisions on grey areas and it isn’t perfect.

3 Likes

What a reasonable person this @seities pretends to be sometimes, knew there was a reason we tolerated the input. Anyway.

Category host name: pyatntski
Category: A song you like because of the drumming and / or where the drumming stands out to you.
Musical tastes: I play the drums and I like the drums. More generally, as before, folk, jazz, improv, noise, bleeps/bloops, all sorts. I’ll give anything a listen once. I used to listen to loads of weirder indie stuff, but hardly ever do now. I love some classic rock/metal/pop, but am very ignorant about lots of that thanks to a youth spent as a music snob.
Any other judging notes: Doesn’t have to be an alive person drumming contemporaneously with the other things. A decent bit of programming or sampling is fine. Could be a 15 minute drum solo, I watch that stuff for fun. Could be someone banging out a bit of 4/4 to perfection. Hell, you don’t even have to like the drums, just tell me you do, I’ll be judging the song in toto anyway.

2 Likes

My category was literally any song in any genre that was released in the last 8 months. I can’t imagine that’s a difficult category.

Heck, it can be a symphonic video game piece if it was released in 2020.;

1 Like

dammit, I already had a folk song picked out.

However, I can also think of several potential choices for this category, so I’m not really mad

2 Likes

I thought your original category was very broad and I am not only saying that because - in all modesty - I had already picked out the clear winner.

3 Likes

I’m willing to modify my category to just a song from a movie or TV if @CanadaMatt3004 wants to broaden his to all video game music? @seities what you think?

1 Like

I’d be down for that. I didnt want to step on your toes which is why I put the symphonic modifier in there

1 Like

I think TV and movie soundtracks tend to have more in common than video games anyhow so it works for me. Also gives me a category I might submit something good to!

1 Like

Ok Sounds good.

Category host name: CanadaMatt3004
Category: A song from a video game soundtrack. This opens up a lot more possibilities, as there is some mainstream music that may end up on a game soundtrack. So long as it has had a release on a game soundtrack at some point, it is fair game.
Musical tastes: I’ve been falling asleep nightly to the Crosscode soundtrack and I love it so much. Its not played by a symphony, so it wouldn’t count (and I wouldnt want you to submit it anyway) but for some inspiration - CrossCode (Original Game Soundtrack) - Album by Deniz Akbulut | Spotify
Any other judging notes: I’m pretty open to anything here. It doesn’t need to be obscure. I’ve listened to a lot of video game soundtracks over the years, and while I am going to lean more slightly towards music that is made specifically for a game than previously created music just being used in a soundtrack, your options are open.

Btw there have been some KILLER soundtracks in the last few years, and they should be easily searchable in the internetsphere. The category should also span a huge number of genres, so go nuts. Anything that you think I might like that was in a game is on the table.

2 Likes