Walrus Again: Sign up thread

Ok, I’ll take the bait. The background to this is that I’m off work at the moment, having been under the cosh for a year on the project from hell.

All of that is by way of saying I’ll have a week or so to listen to your submissions and hope to do them all justice.

Bear in mind that justice could mean a top slot and a crown for your walrus

or it could mean

Let’s hope it’s the former.

Glad that’s out of the way now. :grinning:

As @cassette still has some reveals left and @pyatnitski seems happier working at his own pace, I intend to run this as stated, submissions by end of Monday PST with reveals starting the following weekend, times to be confirmed.

I’ll try to arrange reveal times to suit the maximum number of submitters (heh) given the group’s geographical locations - no one really prefers waking up to several reveals and a hundred posts to catch up on. That sort of madness might lead to a single post containing comments on all the write-ups at once, perish the thought. :wink:

So, I’m after a maximum of 10 people for this 5 category walrus.

Categories draw heavily on the outstanding work done in other walruses:

1. A track from a genre you don’t normally like
  2. A track featuring a female vocalist
  3. A track with a saxophone (even a single note would do)
  4. A track with a girl’s name in the title/chorus/lyrical hook
  5. A track by an artist/band strongly connected with London (birth or relocation at a young age)

A track will be rated on a combination of how much I like it and how unfamiliar I am with it. If you get me listening to something I haven’t heard before in my own time outside of this walrus I’ll rank it very high.

To help you along, some of my musical pet hates are:

• Artists dialling it in
  • Unexceptional hair metal
  • Autotune
  • Retreads of previous musical styles that add nothing (eg Green Day, Adele)
  • Covers that aren’t at least as good as the original
  • Slush (Adele again)

General musical things I like include:

• Music from any genre except c&w (sorry cowboys and girls) but inc. country
  • Pioneers/innovators
  • Best in class (exemplary examples of a musical form)
  • Above all - it should create a mood that moves me. If it’s good I expect it to make me feel different in some way after listening to it. Even melancholic would count

So, deadline to join/submit is end of Monday night, PST.

8 Likes

IN … but I barged my way into the last one, so I’ll step aside if demand exceeds capacity. (Is that good corporate-speak?)

2 Likes

I put the in in win

1 Like

Nice OP :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I hope your stress levels are reducing Jalfrezi, and that none of the submissions cause you to blow a gasket.

I am going to sit this one out to leave space for someone else (got some other life stuff I should focus on) but will totes be railing and likely continue to be an overbearing presence in anything Walrus-related.

Feel free to put me on standby for if there is an issue getting 10 entrants.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t feel that good about this one but I’m down to be standby no.2 if we need to get to 10; doubt that will be necessary though.

1 Like

Feeling better already after a few days away from that place, thanks. I need to take my mind off it and doing a walrus will help a lot.

2 Likes

Well thats just an oxymoron

4 Likes

I’d play this and maybe start one myself next week, if that’s cool. No problems with someone else doing one to properly complement this one, though.

1 Like

How would this go over in the saxophone category?

1 Like

I’m in.

2 Likes

this is probably a mistake and I’m a shoe-in for last, but I’m in.

2 Likes

lol I was seriously considering joining this one and just submitting troll entries to see how worked up I could get him.

4 Likes

This. I’m in too.

2 Likes

category 1, I submit some 80s hair lmao

I’m not in, though

I think I would like to try INing one of these if there’s still a slot.

5 Likes

In to get the Led out!

1 Like

I’d like to be in this or pyan’s. Looks like this one might be full.

It’s rumoured that when lolBlair took his guitar to Clinton’s they attempted Baker Street (well they would, wouldn’t they). I can’t imagine it sounded any better than this.

Thanks for making me listen to Phil Collins and Black Lace covers, though. :+1:

So I make that 10 now confirmed walrii with a question mark over whether Master3004 wants in or not (PM’d him), and it’s now closed for entrants.

A special welcome to new kid on the block @zikzak. Bet you’re glad there’s no 2019 music category (I know I am).

@MimosaDef
@smrk4
@pyatnitski
@Pauwl
@skydiver8
@Rexx
@zikzak
@microbet
@cassette
@DodgerIrish
suzzer99

This is going to be fun I hope. Already received one submission, so get your walruses in.

2 Likes