Walrus IV reveal Thread. Kingvaldo Collab.

Btw on the slim chance you didn’t know, or for others, that track is a remix of a BT track.

A one-time collaboration between BT and Los Angeles trance producer/DJ Taylor that resulted in the classic trance song “Anomoly (Calling Your Name).” Originally released in 1996 on London’s Platipus Records…

heh, i know. I like Flaming June a bit better.

Trentmoller is responsible for my favorite remix. Of a track that’s also one of my favorites.

1 Like

Personally I prefer the shorter version ones. I think I will definitely do a shorter one when running one as it seems much more doable.

Bottom line, you really have to search to find good edm anymore. And I’m not talking about what they call “EDM” nowadays, I’m talking about the umbrella term that covers a ton of different subgenres that have been pushed aside by the shit produced today.

this is old but still one of my favorite guides. I think I’ll forever remain stuck in the 90s/early 00’s with my tastes.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

first time I heard the drum fills in the intro I was like

16717_2

1 Like

Well, I have met some BT fans who’d even heard that track but didn’t know it was by BT, but I should’ve known you’re a True And Honest Fan.

Also, lol, I wanted to post but couldn’t remember the name of my favorite BT track but knew it was long, on “If the stars” and had a long title… And then it was sitting next in the playlist after Flaming June.

1 Like

yeah, that’s his followup album to This Binary Universe.

lmao, I’m kind of obsessed…I think it’s mostly fascination with how he does things. He’s put out some videos documenting his process…his studio is mindblowing. Computers are fucking amazing.

2 Likes

I’d say go for it as if I did do one I’d be delighted if there were smaller / quicker ones going at the same time. I have the inclination to do one, I think, and I’d be happier running one with more contestants, but where you might only get ~two reveals a week for a few weeks. I’d have to write the reveals piecemeal when I have the chance and then dump them - I just don’t really have few hour blocks where I can just be posting, so short time frames or specific days for reveals might be tricky.

If people were happy with that as a plan then I’d put up categories soon-ish, but don’t want to walrus overload, so I can just bide my time.

3 Likes

I think 10 people and 5 categories might even be best as a standard walrus. It doesn’t feel like a “quickie” now that I’m running it.

6 Likes

Yeah now that I’m running a 6 person Walrus and I can tell you the thought of a 17 person Walrus like what King/Riv contended with is horrifying.

This is obv just my suggestion based on my own experience, but what I see is this:

• There are probably about 15-20 people who will be interested in playing Walrus at any given time.
  • It’s kinda nice to give everyone the chance to participate if they want to.
  • Accommodating all of them in one Walrus is too much on the host.
  • That to me indicates the best way is to gather interested people up across two Walruses, like what cassette and I have done. Ideally though, split the load as evenly as you can.
  • Don’t commit to the pace Cassette and I are setting. If you are running parallel, then each doing 2 reveals a week should be enough.
  • Since Jalfrezi and Pyatnitski are about as like each other in musical interests as they are ever likely to find on this board, having them run in parallel makes sense to me (assuming they both want to). Cassette and I are still going to be doing reveals right through until Wed next week. So you could aim to organize one to have all submissions in by say end of day Monday next week and start reveals the next weekend, if you feel so inclined, or shortly thereafter.
2 Likes

Assuming seities’ schedule as above (submissions by Monday midnight PST, reveals the following weekend), would you prefer…

• Parallel jalfrezi 10p 5c reg walrus & Pyatnitski 10p 5c slow release walrus
  • Solo jalfrezi 10p 5c reg walrus
  • Wait for 2 parallel 10p 5c reg walruses
  • Bastard

0 voters

One of my goals this year is to do an intro course for something like Ableton to better understand all this and see if it’s something I might be able to do as a hobby. Pretty sure going through all the BT stuff is going to be super interesting.

2 Likes

Jal, you should do one imo.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll take the bait.

Do it.

I think Nunnehi was supposed to start a music production thread? I could start one. The only other forum I was a part of was a small forum for mixing engineers and producers of various degrees of experimental electronic music, that was also very welcoming to noobs.

And actually, surprised I’ve never mentioned this, but, Brexit and trump ended up tearing the forum apart. :frowning_face: . Maybe I’ll tell the whole story in Dealing With Deplorables. Short version is there was a surprising amount, relatively, of deplorables on the forum and even more apathetics than one would guess. It wasn’t like the guy who mixed Ted Nugent’s albums posted there.

Ooohhh, start one! For me I have some “real life” stuff that came up in the last few days which means its going to take some time before I can try out this hobby, but having a thread to ask questions and see who else in the forum knows a bit about this would be cool!

I know there are a few, AoFrantic, I think LawnmowerMan and smrk, et al.

@seities You can bump this if you like At Music Bros - gear, software, learnin' - #7 by Rivaldo

I play guitar uh adequately? but total noob on production, always on the precipice of learning something about it but never quite making it. Last I tried Ableton it was some lite version that came with a guitar/pc interface I bought years ago. I mention in that thread there’s a free DAW that probably has more features than a beginner would use, it’s called Cakewalk by Bandlab. I have it installed but haven’t done much yet.

1 Like