Walrus 9 Reveal Thread

I also almost picked a Queen song but not that one and eliminated them because didn’t feel like their music is really “pop”

I guess you can call any hit single “pop”.

Did somebody deliberately dress Michael Jackson in a homemade Kermit the Frog costume?

1 Like

That’s absolutely pop to me. This should be fun to argue about.

Pop = popular = hit so :man_shrugging:

Meh I’m not about to stan super hard either way, I wouldn’t submit it for a “pop” category but also won’t argue with whoever did.

Probably at some point.

2 Likes

Well it’s not like it won and it really matters. :smile:

But pop is also a genre, right?

Sure, but it’s impossible to put every song neatly into a genre.

I picked Bohemian Rhapsody. :frowning:

3 Likes

Not gonna lie, I expected better from you!

In ninth place with 2 points
Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life

I wanted to make this write up be about how I’ve grown as a person. When this came out I would have said it was no good at all, but it came out when I was a musically obnoxious 18 year old so no one should pay attention to that. I can now hear that it’s actually a very solid, bouncy bit of indie pop. However I’m still ranking it second last, so I imagine that would all ring hollow.

Thing is I can still hear why I disliked it back then, the best thing to say is just that this sort of thing has never been my bag. Again, sorry.

PS Here’s an amusing tale submitted along with it:

I think the effectiveness of the song is highlighted by the fact that the Australian Prime Minister at the time was reported to have been a big fan of the song, when he (like the majority of people) didn’t realise that the song was nowhere near as cheerful as it sounded—according to the songwriter, “it’s a dirty, filthy song about snorting speed and getting blow jobs.”

2 Likes

I don’t expect to do well in this bad category. I have some hopes for the others.

No, I picked Bohemian Rhapsody

5 Likes

"I won’t mark anyone down for obviousness and will try to approach every track as if I don’t already know what I think about it. Honest. "

I made a list of big pop songs by pop giants like the Beatles etc. Then my favorite pop songs from my music. Applying the above quote, they all paled to Bohemian Rhapsody.

1 Like

lol both of these songs are great.

2 Likes

That’s weird - Channel 4 just played the opening bars of I Want You Back during a programme. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yup this was mine - I fully expected bottom 3 here. If I wanted to play it “safe” I would have submitted Madonna’s Like a Prayer or Beatles - Hey Jude.

I really just went for this because despite the song content it is catchy af and a tune I think a lot of people can instantly recall 20 years on. Never felt confident it belonged on a “best of all time” list though.

3 Likes

Although submitting the censored version is a bit awkward.