Walrus 9 Reveal Thread

I admit it was impossible for me to do that with that song. I did listen to it every time it came on, though, I gave you that much!

Regardless of your definition of “pop”, I think the greatest pop song has to have a certain bounciness to it. I mean Adele’s “Hello” was a chart-topper, but GTFO.

is enough.

1 Like

Yeah, I guessed this was you and felt bad. “Hey Jude” is maybe the one song that could have beat “Bohemian Rhapsody” to the bottom. “Like A Prayer” would have been up there.

1 Like

I like Like a Prayer, but kind of like Hips Don’t Lie. I think Madonna is pretty hot in the video.

1 Like

Like A Virgin was really well written but very tacky. I can’t help liking it.

Heh - Man I was honestly all at sea with this one. Hey Jude simply would have been something I threw in because it is my Dads favourite Beatles song, and Beatles are an iconic pop band.

Madonnas “Like a Prayer” is a song I love myself though - but it only came to me because I googled “best pop songs of all time”.

For real though - You can have my songs last in every category and I am cool with it. Ive been on your side of things and I don’t want you to feel bad about a single thing. Part of the pleasure is from knowing I made you listen to it even if you put it stone cold last :smiley:

1 Like

Not only do I expect to win this category, I expect everyone to agree that I deserved to win. Cue 8th place

1 Like

In eighth place with 3 points
Paul Simon - Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard

I like Paul Simon, he’s probably one of the few people I’ve listened to my whole musical life, but whilst I enjoy this song I always think it never quite takes off. It often feels like it’s just about to hit the section that will be the incredibly catchy pop rush, but then never truly does. It’s still very good (subtext: please don’t hate me whoever submitted this!), but for me it can’t quite live in the exalted earworm-pop company to come.

This is also the first track where I’ll say what you should have submitted to place higher. It’s obvious this time, I think—“You Can Call Me Al”. Yeah, I know, if you remember ye olde times it was everywhere for years on end, but it’s still great.

PS The submitter of this said,

the objectively right answer is probably any Beatles song from 1964 or Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepson.

Which, in fact, is wrong!

2 Likes

If you chose Drop Kick Me Jesus Through The Goal Posts Of Life you’ll have to split 1st place.

1 Like

TRUMP LEVELS OF ELECTION CHEATING ITT

2 Likes

I’m already doing better than I expected. Really happy to hve beaten Bohemian Rhapsody, man alive I hate that song

2 Likes

I searched for “best last song on an album” and the song I wanted to pick was on that list so I went with it. Maybe everyone cheats at Walrus?

Yeah You Can Call me Al would’ve been a good choice

It was a perfect google search.

3 Likes

Googling isn’t cheating. It’s the last hope of someone without a good pick. I do it all the time.

edit: I doubt anyone has googled themselves to a podium.

1 Like

I claim the Rhymin’ Simon submission. It has the bounciness.

4 Likes

In seventh place with 4 points
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

What on earth is this doing so low? It is the best Michael Jackson song1 and an example of almost god-like production, I’m embarrassed to only give it 4 points. The best I can come up with is that whilst it’s an amazing song it doesn’t feel to me like an amazing single, and so with the “pop song” frame of mind everything to come is better. It seems ridiculous to say, but it’s true.

I told you the standard here was high, now do you believe me?!

1 Solo stuff, obviously. As above “I Want You Back” is better.

3 Likes

Yar that was kinda how I looked at this - Just as a reference point to see if the Third Eye Blind song even had a chance, actually. Then I saw Like a Prayer and I thought “hrm, that probably has a better chance to score well…”. But ultimately I decided not to submit it because its more fun for me to submit something if its more left field :)

1 Like

Yeah that was a great pop song, even for people who didn’t like the artist.

1 Like

My guess is that’s @microbet.