Walrus 13: Reveal!!

I’m proud of my company at the bottom of the table. Outstanding men!

3 Likes

Walrus is the Lodden Thinks of music

1 Like

I don’t really understand how I can be 3rd without ever having a song above 4th, and that is even despite the fact that I have been going downhill since the early 4ths, but uh, ok. I guess that’s why I am a n00b.

1 Like

Pyatnitski will likely post the updated spreadsheet tomorrow.

I don’t get how I can be so low when I’ve had 2 PODIUMS!!!

cough, and 3 nodiums

I don’t understand how can I be third last when MY MUSICAL TASTE IS BETTER THAN ALL OF YOU IDIOTS!!

7 Likes

Tonight is the final reveal!

Category 6 Female vocals - something that you believe represents the pinnacle of performance by a female vocalist

Preview: this was an interesting one to judge. I think everyone did a good job of submitting something performed by a great female vocalist. I think some people forgot in this category that you should try to submit something that I’ll like regardless of the vocal abilities. At the same time that was not the only deciding factor here.

2 Likes

I’ve thought a Walrus where you only submit one round at a time could be interesting as it would allow you to try to gear later selections more and more to the host’s musical tastes.

5 Likes

I’m shippin’ this category

1 Like

do i merely finish last or can i keep it under 20? gonna be a real sweat here

2 Likes

About 20 minutes away from finding out!

@m_hood115 @goofyballer @MrWookie @FuncrusherPlus @6ix @MysteryConman @cassette @Pauwl @pyatnitski @Rivaldo

2 Likes

If I’m thinking what you’re thinking you have a strong case for 2nd to my 1st.

1 Like

Excited for the reveals. It’s been fun hearing new music along the way, but I feel like female vocalists is an area where my horizons can really be broadened.

1 Like

lol on second thought

we’re coming last lol

1 Like

he looked at me and smiled, said, “noo no no no, child. see the dog and butterfly and walrus. up in the air he like to fly.”

In 11th place earning 1 point

Beyonce ft Jay Z - Crazy in Love

I love Queen Bey and this is a banger, so this hurt to do. The goal was to highlight the female vocal performance though, and so I think this was completely the wrong song to choose for her. Both from the standpoint that this isn’t the best song to highlight her vocal abilities, but also a quarter or more of the song is Jay-Z rapping.

2 Likes

I think this means @R.C managed to not finish last

keep ‘em comin’! except mine!

1 Like

In 10th place earning 2 points

Odetta - Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child

A great voice and also something I would never listen to.

1 Like

So, I can’t really think of a concise answer but my initial statement is regardless somewhat in jest because in the end there’s going to be a lot of subjective judgment, especially in a category as broad as ‘indie rock’.

What I think is genius about that song is that it crescendos into an aural assault that’s not cliched and somewhat unexpected. The structure and ominous tone hint at it but overall it’s a kind of a violent juxtaposition. Plus, it’s hard for me to separate the song from the video and the video is amazing.

Lol, this is the short explanation avoiding talking about music production and music theory.

2 Likes

the cat that opened the original Woodstock sang that song, too. Richie Havens iirc. his version is nice