Walrus 13: Reveal!!

Soon it will be time for the Walrus reveal to begin. I am planning on starting tonight’s reveal for the first category at roughly 7 PM CT or shortly after, so this can somewhat serve as a pregame to the debate tonight.

Some entries will be bashed, while others will be lauded with praise and many points. Who will be the champion of Walrus 13?

6 Likes

Category #1

Category:
A song that gets you in your feelings. Something that brings out a lot of emotion when listening to it.

General commentary: this category split into a top and bottom half for me. The bottom half were all lacking for me because I felt like they either didn’t fit the category or weren’t a fit for my musical taste. I’ll say this is probably a tough category to start on since I’m going to end up bashing some songs that people obviously have an emotional connection to, but ultimately didn’t connect with me.

Since I only received 11 entries, I’m not 100% certain who is in so @pyatnitski will need to tag others.

In for the rail

2 Likes

i got mine in under the wire, posting to subscribe

By under the wire, do you mean today? Because I haven’t received it if you did.

no i meant right at the end of day Sunday, as per the deadline. pyatnitski already confirmed it.

1 Like

In.

I am officially ready for the hatred of my musical tastes to begin!

1 Like

In 11th place earning 1 point

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees

Sorry to whoever submitted this, because you are about to suffer for my irrational hatred of Radiohead. This actually seems like a song that is a decent fit for the category, definitely some emotional rise in the song. So you succeeded where some others failed. Ultimately though, you lose because you made me have to listen to Radiohead. There really was no way for you to know, so we’re starting off with a little bit of an unfair ruling, but isn’t that what this is all about? If anyone else submitted a Radiohead song for a future category, be warned you’re probably out of luck.

2 Likes

In 10th place earning 2 points

Neil Young - Powderfinger

I don’t hate Neil Young, but I don’t really like Neil Young. Submitting an older song was definitely a bold move, but this one didn’t pay off for you. I tried and got none of the emotional feeling out of this one either.

2 Likes

@goofyballer
@pyatnitski
@FuncrusherPlus
@Rivaldo
@cassette
@MysteryConman
@Nicholasp27
@MrWookie
@R.C
@6ix

1 Like

@m_hood115
@seities

Slow Down, please. Let us listen to each entry once before moving on if you don’t mind. Aim for 5-10 minutes between songs IMO.

Got it, I was actually about to ask if I was going to fast!

1 Like

First time walrus: are their railing rules?

I’m assuming this is all shit talking and claiming superior musical taste.

But like when do we find out which no-taste-having-emotionally-bereft-tone-deaf-eight-track-owner submitted Neil Young?? :grin:

People are definitely encouraged to comment on songs and claim when a song of their’s has been revealed.

People are supposed to claim their song when it gets posted and usually whine about riggage etc.

Shit talking is encouraged as long as it’s in fun.

1 Like

Just to be clear, my musical palate is close to non-existent, and I had never heard this Neil Young song before. I joined this walrus specifically because I wanted to hear music that I hadn’t been exposed to before. So, thanks to whoever is a Neil Young fan!

Rounding out the nodium, in 9th place earning 3 points

Anna Calvi - Strange Weather

I at least get the idea behind this submission, but I really just didn’t like this song. Parts of it came across as too whiny to me, and almost reminded me of something that Thom Yorke would be whining about on another terrible Radiohead song. Did I already mention my hatred of Radiohead?

2 Likes

Im actually glad someone posted this as I heard some direct influence on Dinosaur Jr.

1 Like

Alright, sorry to the nodium and better luck in future categories. Anyone want to claim?

The next 3 all had something I thought was good about them in this category and something that I thought was not so good.

1 Like