Walrus 13: Reveal!!

I like this insight. I wouldn’t have caught that connection on my own. But it’s there. I’m way more familiar with Dinosaur Jr. than Neil Young.

Well, I’m out.

Pretty prestigious nodium IMO.

eta: and you have no soul.

5 Likes

woot woot! present

3 Likes

I had never heard of this artist. Interesting wikipedia fact:

Calvi did not begin singing until her mid-late-twenties. “I had a phobia about it until five years ago,” she said in 2011. “I wouldn’t sing in school or even in the shower. I had this emotional block about hearing my voice. So the guitar became my voice when I was a teenager, it was how I could express myself.”

3 Likes

“The walrus business is a cruel and shallow upvote trench, a long plastic hallway where bangers run free, and good tunes die like dogs. There’s also a negative side.”

4 Likes

In 8th place earning 4 points

Boy Harsher - Fate

A nice little electronic song, but unfortunately I wasn’t feeling this song for this category. While you didn’t place highly in this category, this choice of song at least speaks well to your prospects in future categories as you’ve definitely hit something that is right up my alley in terms of musical tastes.

4 Likes

lol crapper! that’s me. Amor fati!!!

1 Like

lol and none of the rest of my entries are much like this. oh well

Im setting the over under for future Radiohead submissions at 3.

1 Like

It wasn’t helped by the fact that the Radiohead song was literally the first one on the list @pyatnitski sent me. So my initial impression on seeing the list was just really? You’re gonna start me with Radiohead?

“I love indie rock of this era but hate one of the defining indie rock bands of that era” - cool cool cool

4 Likes

Good song, imo.

Wiki: " Boy Harsher is often labeled as a dark wave group"

Prior to reading this post did you know that “dark wave” was a musical genre:

• yes
  • no
0 voters
1 Like

In my defense, I will say I have posted a bit about my hatred of Radiohead on that other site that most of us came from. Not that you should know that, but just saying it is out there.

This is why I don’t even try to win-- if I submit according to the guidelines I finish last; if I submit according to my tastes I finish slightly better than last. Might as well share stuff that matters to me. I didn’t really have a strong pick for “Song that makes me feel things” though.

1 Like

No, but it actually makes a ton of sense after reading that.

1 Like

Ill make a confession: I don’t really know Radiohead. I think being obsessed with Mogwai for a few years kind of took up that space in my mind that would listen to Radiohead.

1 Like

In 7th Place earning 5 points

Aphex Twin - Stone in Focus

I think this was a good submission in terms of category fit, but horrible in terms of my musical tastes fit. I really don’t dig purely instrumental music, even if it is electronic music. And you made me sit through a 10 minute song! However, I definitely understand how this sort of song can convey deep emotions for people and I’ve given you bonus points for that in your submission.

3 Likes

couple other songs i could’ve considered, not sure if they would’ve done any better though (i guess they couldn’t have done worse)

Wilco, “Summerteeth”
Bonnie “Prince” Billy, “I See a Darkness”

I guess if I really had guts I would’ve submitted “Thank You for Being a Friend,” the Golden Girls theme, because it always reminds me of a friend of mine who died unexpectedly nine years ago. But then I didn’t really think of any of these answers until just now.

1 Like

I knew it was a show on the SiriusXM New Wave station, does that count?

3 Likes

What? How is that even possible? I don’t care if you like this song but you are discounting such an insane percentage of music that matters that I actually feel better about a low score.

1 Like