Walrus 13: Reveal!!

As far as I can tell, all good art is subversive. I wrote some long rant about that somewhere on this site. Good art also often says something true.

It also seems to me that there are aesthetic facts: some art is actually, literally, objectively better than other art. But it’s really hard to know these facts without also being influenced by our autobiographies. So we can get tricked a little here and there by subjective attraction and misjudge objective attractiveness. My subjective biases make me favor music that is heavier, on average. With a few exceptions, most Walrusers lean in different directions.

1 Like

Great sub @6ix :+1:

I saw the movie in the theater with my HS bff and we immediately went to Sam Goody and bought the soundtrack. Had it on repeat while playing endless games of Tecmo Superbowl.

I mean, seriously. How good is this band??

1 Like

True!

That movie was a trip because how did they think they’d pass off Chicago like that with all the people who live/lived/visited there? Like, ok you’re trapped in The Hood but bitch I know that exact street! There’s a combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell like a block and a half away!

They wanted that trapped-in-a-small-remote-town vibe but in an urban setting when the entire concept of an urban setting is you can’t get trapped like that.

Here are a couple of the Basement Jaxx songs I mentioned:

1 Like

It does win the Best Line(s) In A Not Great/Shitty Movie award though.

Leary’s character gives a bloodstained roll of bills to the kid to go kill the dudes and the kid says, “Wait, this money has blood all over it.” To which Leary’s character replies, “You ever seen any that didn’t?”

I had to check if Set Your Body Free was on that. If so I was gonna retract my ‘disappointed’ assessment.

I went from saying ‘lol what is this bullshit’ to I think having an out-of-body experience when it fully got going.

like these two not at all corny mid 90s BANGERS?

oh sweet fuck it’s so bad

he was the original donald trump

1 Like

Well, I’m glad to have confused my way to a mediocre finish. Makes it all worthwhile!

3 Likes

And given I have that lovely spreadsheet lying around…

3 Likes

Actually, ahead of the next round, a question…

I read “2000s Indie” to mean Indie music from 2000-2009, so the first decade. But I now realise it could just mean anything from this millenium. Wouldn’t have changed my entry, I don’t think (my Indie listening heyday predates either era) but I am interested to know the ‘correct’ definition before we begin.

I had meant it as 2000-09 but I also gave great leeway in the category definition to go outside that timeline.

1 Like

Tonight’s reveal will likely be around 6:30 PM CT.

Category 5 2000s Indie Rock - Some of my favorite music of all time comes from this Era/Genre combo. You may submit a song for this category that isn’t from this era if you believe it fits the category well.

Preview: This category was incredible and I’m really happy I included it. I liked every single submission. Which in turn makes me feel bad that I had to rank songs low that I enjoyed and thought were good submissions.

A couple of you completely knocked this out of the park too.

3 Likes

Looking back on this category 2 days later, I might have underrated this song even at 3rd place. This is so damn good! This actually would’ve placed well in the Indie Rock category too.

I’m excited to see how my entry went over in this category, I got to submit my favorite song to listen to that was also my #2 song for in the feels song.

1 Like

if it’s Ke$ha I’m gonna scream

1 Like