Walrus 11thish (Pauwl's) - Reveal Thread

I liked it and added it. Walrus ain’t all about winning, though I’m a little surprised Pauwl put it last. I guess Madonna really is that good.

1 Like

In 13th place with 2 points

Purple Mountains – That’s Just the Way That I Feel

"I guess this is a little cheeky. David Berman is one of my favorite artists. He’s the lead here for Purple Mountains’ only album. He was of course also the long-time lead of Silver Jews, but I picked this track because of its more recent impact on me (and of course many others). The album was out for three weeks and receiving great reviews when Berman killed himself. Oof. I’ve never really been into lyrics. I hardly even hear them or enjoy them when I do. But Berman is one of those mythical actual poets who wrote music. Such a rare and beautiful thing."

Review

I read up on them and the lead singer. It’s a sad story. The song is contradictory. The music and his voice make it sound like a generic happy song, but then the lyrics are so bleak. If you glaze over the lyrics, it sounds like an ABC semi-country song you’d hear in a bar that drunks sing along to. Then when you listen to the lyrics, it’s basically his suicide note.

2 Likes

I take it back. This is an outrage.

4 Likes

Yeah I think this one might end up at a tribunal.

Doctor Dark lyrics were basically my walrus suicide note.

I saw The Who at the Lewisham Odeon in 1981. From memory they played what for them at the time was a tiny venue because it was the last concert before they shut the place down.
It was while the mod revival following Quadraphenia was still in full swing, and there was non-stop fighting between mods and bikers all night.
At the risk of being sacrilegious after the first couple of songs I was bored rigid, it was nothing but drawn out guitar/bass and drum solos, every song was about 10 minutes long with false ending after false ending

1 Like

Kenney Jones though. They were never the same after Moon died. Much more in time, but not the same.

1 Like

Not mine but sort of reminds me of the song I submitted so I assume I’m coming up soon.

Yeah Purple Mountains/David Berman is me.

In 12th place with 3 points

Barenaked Ladies - War on Drugs

" BNL does it all. They’re funny, they’re serious, they rap and have cheesy earworm music that occasionally makes you roll your eyes. ("I made you say underwear? Really?)

Then they do stuff like War on Drugs. I generally prefer faster music to the slower stuff but I love everything about this song. The lyrics mean something (and the rhyming scheme throughout is something that has always grabbed me). The combination of the guitar, piano and violin, specifically in the third verse is absolutely haunting, and it’s capped off by Steven Page’s desperately screaming “It’s way more trouble than some suicide is worth”. I’ve listened to this song hundreds of times and it still gives me goosebumps each and every time ."

Review

Slightly nostalgic sounding for me since I heard them alot growing up. I always found them corny but they had some ok serious songs. This song features the original lead singer who I still associate the band with. This gets a negative familiarity bump, since it reminds me of corny songs I hated from my childhood. Sorry.

I kinda thought maybe this was a song by The War On Drugs called Barenaked Ladies.

3 Likes

Feels like a CanadaMatt or Skydiver pick. My wife loves BNL fwiw.

1 Like

I’m already doing better than I thought.

1 Like

I was thinking Skydiver as well.

No Nodium?!?

Dance of Joy!

BTW, I still don’t know who submitted what. So to save KONY having to tell me, I would like people to let us know at some point.

Jalfrezi claimed Beefheart and cassette claimed purple mountains

Also love David Berman, @cassette is exactly correct about the lyrics.

2 Likes

I know those, but I worry there might be some hesitation to admitting to Barenaked Ladies.

btw, I refuse to write the initials for that band

1 Like

In 11th place with 4 points

ABBA - The day before you came

Well its not one of the most known songs by ABBA but its still a very beautiful one. Actually I dont really know why I became a huge ABBA fan. I just loved the music somehow. A lot of the songs are fun, the melodies are good/catchy. Its just music I want to listen to. I am not a guy who dives deeper into the art of music. Imo the music just beautiful catches the emotions of the nearing end of ABBA.”

Review

This one started out good on the first listen. Charming accent and a cute story with sad music. Unfortunately, this one did not improve with repeated listens. Quite the opposite. This is a group I never gave a chance to because my mom played ABBA alot while I was growing up. If you’re going to go with ABBA, I think this was a good choice. Still ABBA though. Sorry.

3 Likes

My guess is that BNL or ABBA is @Habsfan09.

Whoever they are we should, ahem, THANK THEM FOR THE MUSIC!!

3 Likes

Stay in your lane or get got !!!

3 Likes