Video Games

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1722086391431963100

1 Like

I was having fun playing as a paladin but somehow I broke my oath ??

F8

https://twitter.com/hunter_hhhh/status/1722332252162670651

7 Likes

How long have people been realistically waiting for a trailer? At least 4 years or so right?

Spider-Man 2 is 98 GB. Why are games so big these days? Do developers just not care about optimally compressing stuff since storage constraints are much more lenient now, or do they really need all that space?

Back when they had to pony up for install media, space efficiency was a crucial skillset that the developers/studios needed. But, like all modern corporations, they have now found a way to generously pass that burden on to you, their loyal customer, who they hate more than anything else and want to extract max value and from.

Reminds me of this. Creator of Myst talks about the challenges of fitting everything on a CD-ROM and getting it to play properly in 1x speed drives.

GOTY nominees for the Game Awards:

• The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
  • Baldurā€™s Gate 3.
  • Alan Wake 2.
  • Marvelā€™s Spider-Man 2.
  • Super Mario Wonder.
  • Resident Evil 4.

Should be a cake walk for BG3 (and I say this as a big Zelda fan)

1 Like

I wasnā€™t a big fan of the first Alan Wake - didnā€™t hate it but didnā€™t hold my interest for the full game either. Probably played about half of the game before setting it down. The Alan Wake 2 reviews have me considering giving it a go but not sure, Iā€™m a little gun shy because I didnā€™t love the first. Anyone playing this yet? Thoughts?

I know nothing of this game but Zelda and RE4 were phenomenal, and I anticipate Iā€™ll greatly enjoy Spiderman 2. BG3 really that good?

Yes.

Also, the sheer number of ā€œI have never played a CRPG before and I love itā€* stories Iā€™ve read/heard means it really is something special. They really managed to make D&D dice roll games accessible to the masses.

*Note: this mindset is unfathomable to me, as itā€™s my favorite genre, but hey, whatever.

1 Like

RE4 wins for me because itā€™s basically a perfect remake of one of my all time favorite games but Iā€™m guessing it didnā€™t have the mass appeal that Zelda and BG3 did.

I donā€™t know the voter makeup, but Iā€™d guess Tears wins it in a landslide. BG3 will be the only other one with meaningful votes probably.

My view is that Tears is a great game that improved upon BOTW in many ways. While BOTW rightly won GOTY, however, Tears is too close to that game to feel revolutionary in the same way that BOTW did. Likewise, RE4 gets knocked for being a remake imo.

Meanwhile, Larian seemingly came out of nowhere with BG3 (if you ignore the 3-year early access period) to eat the AAA studiosā€™ lunches with such a lovingly crafted, fully realized and replayable game that puts gamers first and feels like a once-in-a-generation experience.

1 Like

https://x.com/RossTweetsGames/status/1724200781203558620?t=1YOntbL56RWsKXUDLOIwCg&s=09

7 Likes

Iā€™ve watched a bunch of that personā€™s videos. Theyā€™re fantastic.

1 Like

Wait till you see how big BG3 is.

1 Like

BG3 has almost 200 hours of cutscenes, though, while Spider-Man 2 only takes about 30 hours to complete

Both games are about the same size on PS5

Thatā€™s a misnomer, you canā€™t see more than ~30% of cutscenes in 1 playthrough, maybe double that if you tediously savescum everything. A straight run without doing a bunch ofā€¦ body part collecting etc is 60 hrs.