UP Podcast - suggest topics, guests, logistics

jmakin has kindly offered to host UP’s first podcast episode! This thread is to discuss topics, suggest guests, volunteer yourself as a guest, and talk about general logistics.

There are lots of ways we could do this. One suggestion: a host (regular or rotating) spends 5-10 minutes chatting with different users on different topics.

Possible topics:
-Grab some hot takes from the old non-politics hot takes thread and talk about them. Volunteers?
-Grab someone from the Walrus crowd to explain the game and how the last grab bag went
-Check in with @ElSapo or @zarapochka or any of the other excellent bloggers about what’s going on in their life.
-Ask someone outside America about Covid life
-Discuss big new stories or politics stories
-BestOf review: either the post creator or someone who nominated the post could come on and talk about it

Probably good for the episode to not be overly long the first time.

Thoughts?

7 Likes

I’m in I guess.

3 Likes

I think having you talk to someone about topics you guys don’t necessarily see eye to eye on would be interesting to me, anyway.

1 Like

All good ideas

“Hello, Sapo! What’s going on in your life?”

“Well, I am so glad you asked … just the other day I was at the grocery store and saw a guy with his mask down below his chin. But this same guy, I saw him the week before wearing it right. So what’s happening? I dunno. But this was at the big grocery store at the edge of town. At the local market, everyone still wears them. Anyway, yeah, so I was buying some onions for a curry I was making. I’ve lost a lot of weight lately, just eating healthy and walking a lot. I used to laugh at moderation–I think I made an identity out of excess and not fitting in–this is all stuff I’ve seen meditating, this past year. And hanging out at the grocery store. The big one. But yeah, you know, lots to think about. And I was, I was thinking about all this while cooking, and I totally fucked up the curry. I got this food processor recently … I was actually talking about this in the cooking thread, how even though it’s faster, using it feels like it takes longer and itsn’t as satisfying, you know? … but I have been using it a lot lately, and I set it up with this slicing blade that goes on top. But yeah, I was thinking about the guy with the mask and the digital horse I didn’t buy–you want FOMO? Check out the NFT thread–and I fucked up the curry. Did I already say that? I’m high as shit. New York legalized! Definitely looking forward to that. Gonna put some plants on my porch. I bought a house at the beginning of the pandemic. The homeowner thread has been pretty helpful. Well. I bought a laddeer and they tell me it’s a good one. Goddamn if I’m getting up on it though, it seems like a death trap. Anyway, yeah the curry sucked and that was super disappointing. Which may explain the weight loss, I dunno. Was that the question? Pretty sure it was. Thanks for having me on!”

7 Likes

4-hour podcast of me and @Ikoi talking about sumo at 4AM Japan time.

7 Likes

lmao don’t use up all your best material here!

@MrWookie cooking segment or fuck off.

7 Likes

Oh shit, an UP cooking vlog might actually be the content we’re trying to create.

2 Likes

I’m down to be a guest to argue with cassette about walrus. I’d also possibly be interested in contributing cooking advice and talking about other topics. I did a podcast episode with my brother, who regularly hosts one, and it was a lot of fun. Not sure how recording it would work though, I think you need a pretty good setup for it to not sound like shit.

I was just gonna record the audio on my desktop. It won’t be fantastic quality but it’ll be fine.

Btw I am free most weeknights except tuesdays. Weekends are not good.

1 Like

This might be a problem because every guest will just have some random mic. I think poor audio is OK but if it’s shit that’s not good. I think we just try it and find out.

1 Like

IN

1 Like

first episode should just be 2 hours of riverman stream of consciousness

9 Likes

This is more work than it’s worth but if everyone records themselves locally and jmakin plays a sound to line everything up later you can mix the individual recordings together for better sound quality instead of having one person nice and clear and everybody else with that weird Skype/Zoom/whatever audio.

2 Likes

Yea that wouldn’t be too hard.

@Smacc_25 60-second fast football update

3 Likes

5-part series where @beetlejuice and I talk about how awesome the X-Cops episode of X-Files is.

2 Likes

Several critics, such as M. Keith Booker, have argued that “X-Cops” is an example of The X-Files delving into the postmodern school of thought.[12]Postmodernism has been described as a “style and concept in the arts [that] is characterized by the self-conscious use of earlier styles and conventions [and the] mixing of different artistic styles and media”.[13

1 Like

What?

Do I need to read this thread now :roll_eyes: