Unstuck Summer Weight Loss Challenge (Potatoes Not Included)

IIRC boiling peeled spuds leads to leaching something like 80% of their water soluble vitamin content?

1 Like

Seems dubious. I microwave or bake my potatoes anyway.

I’m 244, gained 4 pounds since lockdown.

Looking to lose 15 lbs by eating better (wife is dieting too and does a lot of the cooking so no choice!), portion control, and cycling at least 40 miles a week.

1 Like

My goal is 170 lbs by September 30. Set your own goal and we can work out a prop based on relative performance to our individual goals.

That was basically my goal too, I kept losing weight until I could see definitive abs.

2 Likes

Depends on the size of the stone dunnit?

cf: cup

I’m currently ~240 @6’4". Shooting for 210 ish

I have a mirror that scans me, I could make posting a nude scan with spoiler tags of course punishment for failing my goal. I don’t think this would motivate me as much as having to post a shirtless Facebook picture though.

1 Like

Thinly veiled hung like a donkey and have abs post.

3 Likes

Sadly it’s the opposite in both cases. I wasn’t actually going to submit my own scan though so yeah both points checkout.

1 Like
2 Likes

Wait, wtf? Admittedly i live in a 3rd world shithole but I’ve never heard of such witchcraft. Linky?

fyp

2 Likes

I know, I wanna throw up.

It’s from a company called Naked Labs. I got it on Kickstarter it was like 1/4 of the current price but still way too much. I would not recommend purchasing it or any of the competitors right now. Maybe in the future.

2 Likes

I’ll tag along. Currently 6’3" 255, lost 7 pounds since the stay at home order. Ultimate goal is 220 (I inherited my dad’s bone structure, and he was built like a fullback, so I’ll be ecstatic if I get there), but I’m targeting 240 by end of year. So say 248 by end of August.

I’m tracking calories but not implementing any kind of special diet or restrictions, as well as walking 60-120 minutes most days. I have sciatica which attacks off and on, but now that it’s off I’m also trying to get back to running and biking some.

I was 302 at my heaviest – started taking weight loss on in earnest in 2015, I got into a pattern where I would make significant progress in summer but slide back a fair bit in winter because of fewer opportunities to exercise outside and not being diligent in tracking food (starting around Christmas time and continuing through our winter cruise). I had my best effort yet last year, where I got down to 238 before suffering a Grade 2 ankle sprain and getting shut down for a good two months.

1 Like

Currently 5’7, 251. Down 14.6 lbs since 2/21, but I’ve been flat since early-April. I’ve been about 99% vegetarian since late February, which I plan to continue.

Some health/fitness goals I have for 7/5 to 8/3:

• Log All Food
  • At least 100oz water per day
  • Fewer than 2100 calories daily
  • At least 100g a day of protein daily
  • Lift Daily with Stronglifts 5x5 (starting light, as I haven’t lifted in a month or so)
  • Ride Stationary Bike 60 Mins Daily
  • Get 15 Mins of Sun Daily (weather permitting)

That should get me burning at least 4,200 calories per day, so I should run deficits of 2,100 lbs a day x 30 = 63,000 % 3500 = 18 pounds I should lose.

It’s a lot, but I have a lot to lose and should be able to drop quite a bit the first week of really getting after it. So that’d get me down to 233 after one month and 215 after two months. My guess is 210 lbs or so gets me out of most of the risk of COVID-19. That’s still a lot of weight for my height, but my current bodyfat percentage is ~36%, so that would get me down to approximately 23.5% bodyfat, which is in the “average” range. If I can drop a pound or two between now and 7/5, then maybe get a little extra exercise or a eat a little less hear and there, getting down to 210 by 9/5 or so would be pretty amazing.

I’m also thinking of taking a blood test at the end of this, because I don’t know my blood test and haven’t checked cholesterol levels in a while - they were slightly high a few years ago, and I’m hoping they’re normal now due to my vegetarian diet, let alone after all this.

If I can get the weight down and my cholesterol is good, I’ll drop 2 of my 3 COVID risk factors, then it’ll just be the asthma. At that point given my age, I might feel safe not being in as extreme of a lockdown. Maybe I’ll even feel good enough about taking my shirt off by the pool to go mingle with the fine folks in my community, who by then may have already earned themselves a couple months of COVID immunity.

Stopped drinking in October, and have not had any issue maintaining a good weight. Go figure. I’m getting over a back injury almost 3 weeks ago, so I’m currently doing back-related stretches twice a day, and hope to start running again. I joined a work running challenge, and did that for 7 weeks, now have only two weeks left. I’ll finish off those two weeks, then re-evaluate. For the purposes of this challenge, I’ll set a goal to lose 5 lbs., and start to see those abs again. Weighed 157.6 today, average is 158.4 for past 5 weeks, so goal is 153.4 average over the last 5 weeks of the challenge, and weight of around 152 at the end. My all-time low this century is 149, so 153 is not necessarily going to be easy.

Edit: 5’10", 55 y.o. male

1 Like

Your weight loss won’t be linear. Also, your metabolic rate may be different from your estimate. You can have that tested.

Yeah I’m basing it on my Fitbit, which I know isn’t necessarily going to be perfectly accurate. I expect to lose faster at the beginning, but slower later on.

1 Like