Unstuck Summer Weight Loss Challenge (Potatoes Not Included)

I think whatever measure you want to use. It could be how far you jog/walk, how much you lift, how long you exercise, how well a 1500 cal/day or keto diet works. Some people, like Keeed, are more strictly weight focused, some are more focused on cardio/lifting, and some may have other goals. The main idea is to state a plan, try to stick with it, and see what kind of progress you make over 8 weeks.

Some routines will hopefully last much longer, but it may also be a chance to explore 8 weeks of more extreme behavior (like only eating potatoes). Some “successful” dieters, like Penn, don’t do much exercise. Some exercise like mad and don’t restrict (or even increase) intake.

Please note the edited post #2 with some additional details/info. Unstuck Summer Weight Loss Challenge (Potatoes Not Included) - #2 by simplicitus

My wife and I have been focused on logging and paying attention to our calories since lockdown, essentially changing little besides lowering portion sizes and eating out a lot less. From my peak in January, I’m down from 320 to 289.2 as of last weigh in yesterday morning. We’ve been doing an hour of walking/bicycling each day (for the most part) as well for exercise.

I’m pretty proud of 30 pounds in about 6 months. Obviously I could do better but I feel better than I have in years. So much more energy.

10 Likes

Sounds like people are doing various things during lockdown to get into shape. I guess the goal of this thread is to be a bit more extreme, or at least declare a plan and stick with it and track the results.

I’ll probably have some beers on Friday and eat a bunch on the 4th, but as of the 5th my goal will be 1-1.5 hr of barbell weight training every other day, approx 2 miles of walking on off days, and to restrict calories to 2000 or less (definitely less the first week, where I plan to go potato).

I was getting close to saying f-it and going back to my now reopened fitness place, but the last 10 days has seen a ramp up of COVID and my gym will probably have to shut down again soon.

Alright I’m in. Three Huel (400-500ish calories each) per day, minimum two but aim for three sets of exercises using a crummy home workout app (usually between 15-30 minutes per set and I do them consecutively) plus an hour of rowing or 90 minutes of walking daily. Honestly I’m going to try to do both the rowing and walking but my left knee is an old 40.

I’m in, you fat bastards.

Goal is 11 lbs which puts me about middle of normal BMI. Seems like as good a goal as any. It will also rid me of most of remaining flab, I hope.

Method will be intermittent fasting, body weight exercise, cycling, and walking. I started body weight stuff when covid got going and it’s going ok. Definitely stronger.

Screw that. I’m in it for love. Motivation is to get woman friend to notice and comment. Anything less than that will be such an abject failure it would make Trump blush.

I’m in. Last November I topped out at 225 and a few months ago I was down to 199. I’m 6’4 so my goal is anywhere between 190-200. I’m back up to 205 so I’m posting here not for a huge loss but rather to get myself back on track.

GTFO. No skinnies allowed! :p

2 Likes

Hah! I appreciate the skinny accusation but trust me when I say I’m a really gross skinny-fat bod. I need this thread!

yes I know you were joking! I’m really high atm

1 Like

Anyone want to do a friendly 100 dollar bet to see who can lose the most weight by September 30? I won’t even cut water weight.

2 Likes

I found them!

2 Likes

Skinny fat is allowed in the clubhouse. Welcome!

1 Like

In.

Pretty similar story as:

except I’m shorter.

5’9 been as high as 290ish after being 180-190 thru the first couple years of college (then married young). Highest ever seeing on scale was 282 or so iirc, got motivated around 27 or 28 and dropped down to 165 from playing a lot of basketball (and a bit of bulimia at first tbh) over 12-15 months. Largely tackled my overeating and a few years later picked up drinking after I couldn’t get to the gym any longer. Ballooned back up to 270ish and have been around 220-230 for the last year or two after a couple of 6-8 week sessions of motivation where I’d drop 20, maintain, and then drop another 10-20 a few months later. For a while now I’ve used 233 or so as my stop-loss point to get back down to 225.

My body feels comfortable at this weight and I’m still nimble (I’ve got a little bit of white Jerome Bettis in me) but ideally I’d be around 180ish or even lower (it was like a dream being 165 as I’d never been that fit). If I cut out fast food and drinking, and incorporated some exercise, I assume I can drop 15-25 in this time frame. I already only eat twice a day and I’m not a big snacker. I bloated up to 232 a few days ago after drinking, but I was 226 this morning. I also don’t mind feeling hungry as it usually passes and it’s not real pain.

I don’t need the prop for motivation, but I also won’t be the only one not straddling if that’s how it goes.

(I ate McDonald’s immediately before reading this thread fwiw.)

BTW, feel free to start with the potatoes or workouts or whatever tomorrow. I’ll likely workout and be eating lighter tomorrow, but I just want to have the 3rd and 4th of July as “cheat” days, because that’s what I’m planning. Also, wanted to give people who may not read Unstuck daily to have a couple of days to “sign up”. However, if ready Keeed or whomever can start in with the potatoes or 5 km walks or whatever tomorrow, and keed can have potato salad (ie, cut up potatoes in a bowl, sans mayo) on the 4th.

Vitamin pills for the first 2 weeks? It’s not a great time to be clobbering the immune system with a poor diet.

I was late to your last spudfest but enjoyed it. Good luck to all taking part this time, god help you on that diet lol.

6’5" low 180s currently, I’m at the end of a long cut (down from 215ish) and don’t really want to lose any more weight, should have done this at the beginning of the year. I went from skinny fat with a beer belly to super lean by eating 2000ish cals a day. lifting a few times a week and I was kicking boxing 3 times a week before rona hit, since then my cardio has fallen off but I walk quite a bit at work and walk a couple rounds of golf a week which helps. Now I’m hoping to gain some muscle, I’m lifting 3-4 times a week at home with dumbells and an ez curl bar that I can load up with 160 pounds. It’s not ideal but I can make it work, might look at getting a rack and a regular bar so I can squat and deadlift heavier.

Maintenance calorie intake is about 2500 per day so I think I’ll start eating around 2800 and see how that goes.

2 Likes

6’5 180 you fat fuck.

1 Like

Only nutrients that potatoes are deficient in are vitamin A and B12. I’ll take a vitamin A supplement and a B12 supplement.

1 Like

179cm, 74kg (I think, need to replace scales battery). Skinny fat. Mid 40s.

Goal: look good (better) naked. I wanna see at least some of my abs again, they went missing late-20s.

Will be going with a 16/8 well balanced diet. Combined with very active job and I guess some kind of ab workout/plank challenge.

1 Like