Trump's America

I was out running errands yesterday and everybody was wishing me a Merry Christmas. I’m Jewish.

3 Likes

¡Feliz Navidad!

1 Like

EDGY

2 Likes

Met up with my college roommate last night at our old stomping ground. Our other buddy (who is a legit 7 foot tall black dude) and his wife came out as well. They live in a very white, very wealthy town.

She told a story about how earlier this month he was getting their daughter off the school bus when a cop showed up. Apparently someone had called it in that a “black bear” was roaming the neighborhood. America man.

1 Like

In the heart of Trump country, Redmond Washington. Seen on a laptop in front of a guy at a local microbrewery taproom:

Zerohedge . com
Then
Rightwingtribune . com

Economic anxiety running strong here.

2 Likes

On my other hand, a self-professed “cannasoure” pontificating about all kinds of really dumb weed lore.

Back to the first guy, now on to breitbatr.

Awkwardly verbally cornering female staff with remarkably bad chat.

1 Like

“They label us white nationalists, or white supremacists,” volunteered Guy Taiho Decker, who drove from California to attend the event. A right-wing protester, he has previously been arrested on charges of making terrorist threats.

In interviews, people in the crowd described a white America under threat as racial minorities typified by Mr. Obama, the country’s first black president, gain political power. They described Mr. Trump as an inspirational figure who is undoing Mr. Obama’s legacy and beating back the perceived threat of Muslim and Latino immigrants, whom they denounced in prejudiced terms.

Stacey Goodman, a former police officer from New York who retired to Arizona and attended Trumpstock, said her distrust of Mr. Obama’s birth certificate had led her to Mr. Trump.

“If you’re Muslim, just tell us you’re Muslim,” she said of Mr. Obama. “It’s not that I didn’t believe him, I’m just not qualified to answer that question. I’ve seen information on both sides that’s compelling.”

Brian Talbert, the founder of Deplorable Pride, was contacted by the White House after he was barred from the L.G.B.T. pride parade in Charlotte, N.C. At Trumpstock, Mr. Talbert, who has a history of expressing anti-Muslim beliefs on social media, gave voice to hatred of Mr. Obama and Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state and Mr. Trump’s 2016 opponent.

“I think she should be hanging at the end of a rope for treason,” he said of Mrs. Clinton.

Mark Villalta said he had been stockpiling firearms, in case Mr. Trump’s re-election is not successful.

“Nothing less than a civil war would happen,” Mr. Villalta said, his right hand reaching for a holstered handgun. “I don’t believe in violence, but I’ll do what I got to do.”

People are greatly underestimating how ugly things will get in the immediate aftermath of a Trump loss in 2020.

There will be violence, and people are going to die. It is still better than the alternative though.

1 Like

No way. They’ll Ins0 it up and vanish for 2 years.

Then reappear just in time to vote en masse for the Tea Party 2.0 because they’re upset about checks notes the Federal deficit or something.

3 Likes

You’re giving them way too much credit for bravery, or at least not being total cowards.

They imagine they’ll be fighting hippies or something and not cops. The cops are sympathetic to their cause, but they like their monopoly on violence.

3 Likes

There has been an awful lot of right wing violence in my lifetime resulting in quite a large number of dead people, and the numbers have been skyrocketing since Trump’s election. Sure, maybe the average suburban boomer isn’t going to take up arms, but many on the fringes already have and it seems pretty likely that at least a few more will do so in protest of him involuntarily leaving office.

3 Likes

There will be a few incidents, clearly, it’s a big country, but most of these people aren’t doing shit.

I can’t remember where I saw it, but a light bulb moment for me was reading someone say that what these people want is literally the words. That is, they don’t want to go to war with Iran, for example, they just want to hear people say that if those fuckers get out of line, you will own them. Representation is reality. Like that’s the frustrating thing about Trumpism right? He just has to say “manufacturing is coming back and we’re building the wall” and it’s true to these people whether it’s actually happening or not.

What most of these people want is to be immersed in a fantasy world where they have agency in their lives and they don’t have to experience the crushing feeling of alienation that we all feel in this age. Actually doing something isn’t just too hard, it’s impossible because it would expose the fantasy nature of this control they are asserting over things.

Edit: Like it’s hard to get your head around because most of us want concrete things to happen in the world as a result of politics, but if you entertain the idea that they don’t, things fall into place. For example, the fact that they don’t care that Trump is a transparent bullshit artist. Representation is reality to him too, that’s why they connect.

13 Likes

@BestOf

3 Likes

That sounds about right for 98% of the MAGA crowd. The other 2% could do some real damage though.

Trump and the bulk of the GOP will not recognise the result.

Any institutions that want to go along with that will have cover from half the press and a plausible (in their eyes) claim to legitimacy.

Is it likely that the US will tip into actual violence? Probably not. Is it possible? Absolutely

Remember that guy in texas who got arrested for saying he’d kill someone while playing WoW? The thing is the people saying all this civil war bullshit are the exact same people who support the laws that make everyone into criminals. I’m not sure I’m suggesting that they should be locked up for talking about Civil War 2.0 but it’s pretty hypocritical if by their own law and measure of moral responsibility they should be sat down and talked to.

https://twitter.com/zachrippett/status/1210998816545165313?s=21

2 Likes