Travel Photo of the Day

Here’s one he took with his iphone a couple years ago:

Iglesia Virgen de Fátima in Lima, Peru

3 Likes

Kinda liked this one in Málaga b/c it doesn’t look like a conventional church and I dig the double turrets.

I just did a day trip to Rouen, France and there are some pretty interesting churches there. Saint-Ouen Abbey in the flamboyant gothic style:

Saint-Maclou, also flamboyant gothic. There are a million traditional gothic churches in France and few in the flamboyant style, so it was a nice change.

In Rouen’s main square, there’s a simple little Church called Église Sainte-Jeanne-d’Arc right next to where she was burned. The Church has modern architecture and is fairly recent (1979), but is most notable for the stained glass windows. The people of Rouen wisely took them down and stored them during WW2, and the church that previously held them was destroyed. Now they are part of Joan’s Church. I hate masses, but if I had to attend one, this would be a nice place imo.

Rouen’s main cathedral is the tallest in France, but for some reason, it didn’t seem that imposing to me and I wasn’t even really a fan. The Cathedrals in Strasbourg and Clermont-Ferrand were much more to my liking.

BTW, is anyone well-versed in architectural styles in Europe? How would one even go about learning?

I’ve done a bit of reading, and Paris is an excellent city to dip your toe in, but it seems so daunting trying to learn. So far I’ve read a bit about art nouveau, and checked out a couple examples here in Paris, as well as a bit about gothic architecture (very prevalent in Paris). Also read about the Haussmann Revolution previously when I was in French language school. Seems like a double edged sword really. His boulevards are charming and buildings very pleasing, but large swaths of Paris can look similar as a result.

5 Likes

Nice, very clean, really evokes those old timey vibes! What kinda building is that supposed to be anyway?

old service station along Rt. 66

1 Like

Continuing with the Balkan theme, a Serbian Orthodox Church in Prizren, Kosovo, under UN protection from further defacement.

This was way back on 2010. From recent photos, the barricades have been removed, and the church hosts concerts and can be visited, although the roof hasn’t been restored yet. Hopefully it’s a sign the deep wounds in that part of the world are starting to heal.

Oh, I have a Lake Bled pic, too! The weather wasn’t quite as good when we visited, nor are any of my shots from our boat ride all that great, but it’s a neat place.

2 Likes

The first couple of times I went to Paris I was overawed by its beauty. The third time I started to get the sensation of a slightly suffocating housing estate. I haven’t been back since.

Bath is similar in this respect.

This is annoying — all my pictures that were taken in portrait mode show up rotated 90 degrees and cut off at the bottom when I go to post them. Anyone know how to fix this?

Here are the only church pictures I’ve ever taken, in Reykjavik Iceland.

5 Likes

Wife has ~all of the good pictures from our vacations, but found these from Elmelunde Kirke on the island of Møn in Denmark. There are cool looking frescoes inside.

2 Likes

Yes!

1 Like

The Stefl, Vienna, Austria.

3 Likes

Nice. That’s one of the ones I had that’s on its side.

Las Lajas Sanctuary, in Colombia near the border with Ecuador

7 Likes

“Wow, pretty scenery here. We should build a big ass church on top of that hill.”
“No.”
“At the bottom of the valley then?”
“Also no.”

6 Likes

In the alternate timeline where they said “yes” to this question.

Santa Maria de Montserrat

I was very impressed with the pipes. Reminded me of a customized big truck/motorcycle Mad Max style

5 Likes

Temppeliaukio Church (Church of the Rock) in Helsinki. This is definitely the most unique church I’ve ever seen, it was built in a rock formation in the middle of town.

4 Likes

Wow, don’t think I’ve ever seen horizontal pipe organ pipes. That’s something.

2 Likes

The organ I posted earlier has them too. I wonder if they are by the same organ maker.

Nice. I spent 2 months traveling through Colombia and debated going to that place b/c it looks so cool, but ultimately I decided that it was way too far out of the way (I went from Bogotá up to Tayrona).