Trans Youth

Depends on how you define good. If you define good as “being something people want to read”, then it’s clearly top tier, which is why she’s a billionaire.

That may not be the best definition of good for a book, but it is not an unreasonable one, given the goal of many authors.

This is old, but still pretty poignant. I found it retweeted by Mallory Rubin who had some incredibly glowing things to say about Joanne during the Binge Mode podcast on Harry Potter. Easy to say she doesnt feel the same about the author as she once did, regardless of how important the art is to her still.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/21/opinion/jk-rowling-twitter-trans.html

1 Like

75 million people are about to vote for Donald Trump (also a billionaire). I certainly don’t equate having a following with being good.

Well he is good at winning presidential elections. Unfortunately.

Never read any of her books and think I maybe saw one of the movies.

Same. I’m mostly trolling. I’ve read like one page of one book and am judging it by that. But it was enough that I was like, I’m not reading this crap to my kids. They will hear about Hobbits instead! I think I only saw the very first movie, plus a fair amount of clips of later movies.

1 Like

He notes some other examples where the books fell short:

I wonder now if I’ll be able to separate the author from the text, if and when I decide to read the books again — a decision I’ve yet to come to a conclusion on. It’s certainly not the first time I’ve had to consider this: It was disappointing to see the appropriation of Navajo culture in Ms. Rowling’s digital story collection, “History of Magic in North America” and the original books have been rightly criticized for promoting fatphobia, racial stereotyping and more.

The books are good and that fact that you read one page of one of them and somehow decided they aren’t good is bizarre.

Edit: “you” refers to microbet

For those who haven’t seen this it’s great. Everything she makes is awesome.

2 Likes

A good discussion of recent transvestigating with contrapoints. I didn’t know just how dumb the whole Olympic “trans” thing really was.

2 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes
1 Like

Turns out she not only didn’t delete her original Imane tweets, she is now back and doubling down.

Woman wears makeup to event is a “feminization campaign”! Ok crazy lady. Thanks for your contribution to the discourse.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure simply being a billionaire would meet the standard of a mental illness. It really is not good for people.

3 Likes

It’s how you know it’s all performative bullshit with her. She is so rich she could be running the largest woman’s right organization on earth with her pocket change but nope, her concern about women manifests solely as hate directed at trans or non-gender conforming people on X.

3 Likes

pretty weird stuff

1 Like
2 Likes

https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/normalising-surgeries-still-being-conducted-on-intersex-children-despite-human-rights-concerns