TJ plays a ton of poker in Vegas for WSOP! ...And occasionally eats

I feel like I should ask about the AJ hand but probably don’t want to hear it. All in preflop with AJ?

I’m guessing Helmuth.

Cuserounder?

5 Likes

A player at the table asks me about my hat, which is one of my most prized possessions. Those familiar with my work in Sporting Events know I’m a gigantic baseball fan of the Atlanta Braves, and they used to run promos called college nights where they gave away co-branded hats. I went to nursing school at Kennesaw State University, which nobody outside of Atlanta has heard of, though it’s a moderately large FCS division 2 school. I got the retro 1970’s Braves throwback A hat, co-branded in KSU yellow…. Which results in precisely nobody recognizing either logo.

So I’m idly checking my phone, and I have a pm from Cuserounder’s gimmick account, asking if I’m the guy in the Kennesaw State hat. Sure enough out of 300+ tables in this tournament, I was the 1 seat, and he was in the 9 seat! He says he only thought to recognize me from the hands I described and the terrible dealer we had.

He busted like 10 minutes before I did, I give him a pound as he’s walking away and say “dinner?” He says sure, just message me.

So I bust, we meet up, and marvel about a) what are the odds, and b) what has to happen for us to realize we were at each other’s table.

17 Likes

Tell him to come back!

I won the preflop all in with KK, the other guy had AJ

1 Like

So me and Cuserounder are looking at dinner options, sadly Lotus was booked up solid. However, there is a fantastic Mexican place he recommended, El Dorado Cantina. They proclaim they’re a top 5 Mexican restaurant in the whole country, and even conveniently located right next door to Sapphire, though we did not partake.

We both got the 3 enchiladas, each with their own filling, sauce, and cheese.

I think I liked the shrimp enchilada (middle) the best, though they were all fantastic. The beef (right) was really good, but maybe a tad too spicy, and chicken on the left. Also, that is a bacon wrapped jumbo shrimp stuffed with mahi mahi, which was incredible.

Since I know y’all love numbers, the entree was $32, and it was really good.

4 Likes

To be fair, I did know he was in the tournament. I’m sure you got the story of his wild ride in the Reunion. I considering letting people know that he had a big stack so they could root for him, but then he busted because 50bb isn’t that much even if you are among the chip leaders.

Yeah he did…. Really drives home how well you have to run to win one of these things

We also had a positively engaging discussion about tournament poker, the evolution of poker from the boom to Black Friday to live poker today, and shared our stories. We’re about the same age and have a lot in common with how we got to here.

And of course, politics. I detest talking about politics with people I barely know, and even with some people I know well. But since we’ve both been here for years, and on 2p2 before, we each knew exactly where we were coming from. We were practically finishing each other’s sentences, and of a similar mind on everything from current events, Biden, and political strategies.

So we’re definitely gonna get another meal together while we’re here. Maybe even Lotus because it’d probably be easier to get a reservation for 2 instead of 1.

5 Likes

2nd UP Vegas hookups after jmakin. Grats boys!

6 Likes

LOL I know, right?

Anyway, wasn’t feeling a Monday night cash session after the tournament today, so I’m gonna turn in early.

Think I’ll go check out Resorts World tomorrow!

Have cash game wait lists been long?! I’m looking at Bravo and Wynn 2/5 is at 38 on the list!

:+1:

This is a definite improvement.

But I’m sure you can do better still.

1 Like

Thread delivers, really enjoying it! Thanks for the work you’re putting into it.

9 Likes

Post does not contain a criticism of food pics. Ban.

3 Likes

Speaking of which, A+ on the Cuse meal. Good stuff TJ.

Now go win us a bracelette

I’m trying!

I feel like I need to be up more to make it reasonable to enter a $1500 tournament Friday (Milly Maker)

So that’s my goal to shoot for the rest of this week.

1 Like

Went to Tacos el Gordo for lunch! Line got slammed right after I walk in, and you have to stand in separate lines for beef or pork, so I decided just to get an asada quesadilla and 3 asada tacos.

Also got a Jarritos Mandarin soda, I know people from Mexico love that stuff. It was pretty good!

Final verdict, it was fine… I guess as good as tacos and quesadillas can be. I was hoping for cheese on the tacos, so I guess that’s what the quesadillas are for. Everything did taste super fresh, especially the guac and the salsa.

Now, Resorts World!

5 Likes

Resorts World is definitely an impressive place, they decided to go big with everything.

I came in the entrance closest to Tacos el Gordo, and it was like walking in a brand new mall. I saw the display they made as an homage to the Stardust, which used to stand here.

They also have this sculpture going on.

There was an 18 person list for 1/3, but immediate seating for 2/5. What the hell, I’m on vacation.

These sickos are playing $15 double board PLO bomb pots on every dealer change :flushed::flushed: Well then, in for 800, let’s see if we can spin up a stack!

6 Likes

If you want a place that is solid for tacos that you can get some cheese I recommend the Taco Stand on Spring Mountain across the street from Cultivate. It opened last summer and I go there all the time. I like the shrimp, baja, or anything with their Carne Asada also.