Tim Hortons

It’s Canada, what’s an Applebees?

Nighttime Tim Hortons with worse food, but with a bar.

3 Likes

We do have Applebees in Canada.

https://applebeescanada.com/locations/

It does look truly awful.

I’ve only been there once, 25 years ago at a location in Cambridge that doesn’t exist anymore. It was terrible then, I shudder at the thought that it’s gotten worse.

Wasn’t it always that “stuff” could be Oriental, but people are Asian? Maybe that’s changed.

I’m fine cancelling them for serving uninspired looking salads in general though.

1 Like

Cant believe you guys are dunking on the Applebees salad menu and not their drinks.

I’m shocked those aren’t in Canada. A chain restaurant nicer than McDonalds but not actually nice. Not unlike a TGI Fridays, Chilis, or Ruby Tuesdays. They have a bar in them.

Tim Horton’s is basically like Starbucks right?

I am all for cancelling Applebee’s because it’s a freeroll. I never go, so if it’s replaced by something worse, my life doesn’t change. But if something good replaces it, awesome!

If this is the best we’ve got to cancel them on, we should rally around it and enjoy the side effect of triggering the conservatives.

It’s more like Dunkin Donuts.

Are you going to piss off Tim Horton’s fans? When I lived in Maine some people were VERY serious about Timmy H.

Tim’s has a certain cachet anywhere it exists. Dunkin may have franchises everywhere but it’s really only a cultural thing in the northeast.

It’s just baseless Canadian patriotism to like Tim Hortons (no apostrophe before the “s” in Hortons). Tim’s is objectively terrible coffee and gross fast food. McDonald’s has better coffee.

3 Likes

Is Dunkin’s a cultural thing? I mean, I’ve spent anywhere from a good amount of time to like 90% of my life in the northeast depending on where you draw the borders, and I’ve never met anyone who’s super into Dunkin. It’s just like solid, ~replacement level coffee and breakfast food.

I’m glad you said that because I recall having the coffee once and hating it and being scared to say anything lest I be left on the side of the road somewhere in Maine in the freezing cold.

No, because it doesn’t have the bullshit pretense that Starbucks puts on. It’s more similar to Dunkin’, cheap place to get coffee and a donut.

1 Like

I prefer my local spot with no pretense, prices in between Dunkin and Starbucks, and quality exceeding both of them combined. They also pick a few days a year to donate all their profits for the day to causes like BLM, womens’ rights, etc. Which undoubtedly costs them business in a swing district area, but earns them back extra business from some of us too I suppose.

Can @moderators move the last ~30 posts about applebees / tim horton etc from the covid thread please. TIA

3 Likes

Its more of a Greggs from your neck of the woods.

1 Like

+1 commonWealth said about it being a freeroll. I can’t think of the last time I ate at an Applebee’s, gotta be 10+ years ago. I will join your cancellation in solidarity :handshake:

1 Like

It is, but it starts to drop off real fast when you get more than 100 miles outside of the Boston area. Guess I should say it’s a New England thing more than a Northeast thing.

1 Like

Dunkin is nationwide, has been for years. It just has vestigial associations with Boston.

That makes sense. I did first get hooked on coffee with free Dunkin coffee in the press box covering a hockey game in Providence, at the Dunkin Donuts Center.