Things to do while on lockdown for coronavirus

Time to start brain-storming and see if there are any leisure items I should buy to pass the time while I can still go out. Things I might do.

-study poker (the work never ends)
-set up an online poker account
-write that poker erotica novel I’ve always thought about
-play more video games (I’ve been getting all the free games I can on places like Epic)
-explore Netflix (but might be hard with a shared account)
-more and better Walrus
-start a podcast

3 Likes

Cooking. New techniques, ingredients, cultures. Batch and freeze for consumption later.

Take pasta for example, you can make gnocchi/gnudi with no tools other than a mixing bowl and a fork. Orecchiette requires no tools at all.

Invest in a stand mixer and hoo boy you’re off and running. KitchenAid has a pasta roller attachment for their stand mixer. Or roll it out with a pin (look up Evan Funke)

Ferment/pickle
Bread making
Braising/slow cooking
Make your own condiments like mustard, mayo, ketchup, bbq sauce

Or just fuck it - get ripped and watch cam girls.

2 Likes

Reading in a comfortable chair besides an open window with sunshine pouring in is a really good time

7 Likes

I live in WA, where playing online poker is a felony. I asked about subscribing to a VPN service that allows you to choose the location in the Poker Hands thread, but it got buried. Could I set up a P.O. Box in LV and play through the VPN without getting busted?

Edit: Looks like I’d need to use a VPN service that has a kill switch and provides a dedicated IP address. Prosecution for playing is unlikely, so I need a VPN to fool the poker site more than anything else. I’m still not sure how I’d get money on/off the site either…Neteller maybe? I don’t know enough about these things to be sure, but it seems like I could get money on and off of the site using Neteller, but I’m not sure I’d be able to get the funds from there into my pocket.

We could find a person in turmoil and train wreck them.

1 Like

Lucky b*******ds think of the working…

Home games Ofcourse… Someone needs to get paid out of this.

1 Like

MissAlice_94

5 Likes

Sports bet… oh wait…

1 Like

I’m staying with my parents. My mom’s cousin gave them some (legally) home grown weed several months ago but they don’t like smoking. She wants to make brownies tomorrow. None of us have made or taken edibles before (well they probably did in the 60s) so it should be… interesting.

Long term quarantine plans:

1. Read. I spend way too much time reading on here, but at least I get a ton of value from it. I have some books that have been waiting to be read for a while.
  2. Puzzles. See the thread I started a couple weeks back about puzzling.
  3. I haven’t watched any tv or Netflix shows in a long time. Have several years worth of stuff I can get caught up on.
1 Like

https://twitter.com/PCMag/status/1238146360794402816?s=20

5 Likes

Just got my kid an electric guitar and amp, so they’ll be learning to play it over the next month (their school is closed until 4/16).

5 Likes

Hmm odds that a concert I am going to tomorrow gets canceled? 650 capacity. Nothing yet.

1 Like

I played online for a living from WA until very recently, Ignition and ACR and the WA gov don’t care, only Global actually banned WA. Their TOCs say no WA, but I signed up with my real info and played for years without issue. Don’t use a VPN, that is much more likely to cause you problems. You need to use bitcoin or P2P to move money around.

7 Likes

Would participate.
The Stars games in NJ have picked up for sure. Looks like I’m going to be learning plo

Netflix, reading, video games

I’m supposed to send homework to my students but let’s be real they’re not gonna do it.

2 Likes

Maybe look at Zynga. I know they have private games, no idea about private tournaments.

I always have a ton of work and I can do much of it at home, so that’s mostly what I’ll be doing. I also have some weights so I can get some workouts in.

For people looking to spend some time productively I highly recommend the site https://www.edx.org/. They have a lot of very interesting and practically useful courses on line, and they’re largely available for free if you don’t want to pay for the certification exam at the end.

Have pretty much stopped going to the gym, and looking for the easiest replacement for some weight exercises. I figure that’s resistance bands, which I’ve never really used. Anybody have good recommendations for ones to buy off of Amazon? Or other suggestions for at-home workout with limited storage space?

For anybody who has video games on their list and a decent PC or Xbox, the Xbox game pass is fantastic, and Microsoft has a 3 month trial for a buck. Great way to kill three months stuck indoors for cheap.

1 Like

Me too. I’ll have all the same work and more as I work on the same tasks less efficiently. I wish I could get high and play guitar but instead I’ll be teaching myself Zoom and trying not to go stir crazy.