The Wilds (beware spoilers)

This spoiler-free review convinced me The Wilds–described as “teen girl LOST”–will be the next show I watch.

a truly addictive blend of mystery, drama, comedy, and fear.

While Lost took its time in the first season to make it clear just how many mysteries were lurking on the island, from the beginning The Wilds makes it clear that there’s a lot more going on here than we might know.

trust me, you don’t want to be spoiled for anything that happens. The pacing of the big reveals is one of the first season’s strongest attributes, with plenty of unexpected surprises that go well beyond what you might expect

the way that the show plays with its multiple timeframes is downright masterful at times. Sometimes the twists might feel on the verge of over-the-top, but there’s rarely a lack of clarity as to when a certain scene is taking place, and the structure delivers some real gut-punches thanks to savvy editing.

Gonna watch ep1 later today and let the episode-by-episode commentary begin :popcorn:

2 Likes

is this week to week release or all out there now?

For previous iterations of Lost, I very much enjoyed The I-Land and Sweetheart, both available on Netflix.

The I-Land got eviscerated in reviews, but while it did make me think it was headed off the rails about halfway through, the final two episodes more than made up for my doubts.

All episodes already released. Binge at your leisure.

On episode 3. Liking it so far.

1 Like

Episode 3 was so good. Wow. It wrecked me.

Loving the show but the woman who plays the lead researcher is a terrible actress.

This is only a spoiler to end of 3rd ep.

S1E1
Heartfelt teenage drama. Their issues feel as authentic as an HBO show like Girls or Euphoria, though not nearly as explicit in visual content.

Gorgeous cinematography.

The music and sound cues are minimal but effective.

The show excels primarily on the stellar performances of the cast. This is like if you took all of the female characters from the John Hughes movies and stranded them on a deserted island together. Great dialogue, great acting.

I thought it would take me an episode or two to learn all of the characters, but the show is very clever in how it introduces us to each character in the first fifteen minutes. Easy to remember their faces, personalities, and distinct dynamics with each other.

The first episode, in what I’m assuming will be a continued mirror of Lost’s format, follows several characters in the present but focuses on one character in the flashbacks.

For most of the episode, the narrator–presumably in a Lost-style flash forward–points toward strange coincidences on the island, but so far we’ve seen nothing on screen that isn’t easily explained. Including one or two of the WTF twists!!

If not for the narrator and comparison to Lost, I wouldn’t be questioning the nature of what I’m seeing. As it is…I am questioning the nature of what I’m seeing.

Edit: to be clear, I don’t mean a narrator like a VO, just that there is a clear POV character providing context

2 Likes

S1E2
The girls get to work. They have a new dead phone, the second one Leah found on the dead character we now know was an operative for whatever shadow organization put the girls on the island.

And with the phone comes questions about the dead girl and why she’d keep a working phone a secret.

To find out what they’re facing, the two sisters and the gospel girl head to the top of the highest peak on the mountain.

It’s strange to hear gospel girl say things like “God don’t make ugly,” because by this point we know she is terrified of the girls discovering she wears partial dentures. We’re all such complicated contradictions.

At the summit, they find the worst. Aside from vegetation, this island is barren and void of any life but themselves. But a quick cut to the shadow organization reveals they are being watched. And while the girls now believe they’re alone, a new character is on the way to become stranded with them.

In this episode, we get to know Rachel better. She was on track to be an olympic-level diver until she developed a body her coach said would never get scored well. So she developed bulimia to try make herself skinny. Why?

To her tell the story, it’s because her parents are insanely intelligent and crave that stimulation in their children. Rachel’s sister Norah is just as smart as their parents and shows off playing word games.

The thing is that Rachel is wicked smart, too, but her parents are only willing to engage with their kids in the ways that come most naturally to them. It’s no surprise to see Rachel develop such an unhealthy coping mechanism, but performing an impossible dive was the one time her parents looked at her like they do her sister. Of course she was willing to sacrifice everything, even her health, when she thought the alternative was to sacrifice their love.

In e1, Leah notes how weird it was that everyone on the island has a working knowledge of CPR. That WAS weird! And now in e2, it’s becoming clearer just what ties these girls together. Every one of them is exceptional in some way but has been cast aside through no fault of their own.

Will their arcs be one of redemption–or revenge?

Trigger warnings: The show seems intent on exploring a new issue each episode. In e1, it was a minor sleeping with an adult. In e2, a character faces bulimia.

“I feel you can’t say ‘typical’ about someone you’ve only known for a day in the most atypical situation you’ve ever been in.”

S1E3
Black smoke sighting!!! Lol that had to be a deliberate nod to Lost, but so far there’s been nothing to indicate we might see anything that defies our assumed nature of reality.

The constant flash forwards with no flashbacks seemed to me to be an immediate red flag for Dorothy (aka Dot, aka Dotty), our POV character for this episode. I thought a new operative was on the way to the island, but maybe I misunderstood. The shadow organization already has a second operative on the island. Could it be the character I least suspect…?

But then it cuts to her selling drugs in high school. The big reveal was what issue this episode would tackle.

Dot and Shelby look for shelter. An accident reveals Shelby’s partial dentures to Dot.

In the flash forwards, Dot demands every gourmet kind of food she can think of. And strangely, the guys interviewing her are friendly enough that the next shot shows her with everything she asked for.

So wherever they are after the island must be on the mainland or have one hell of a chef on staff.

In the flashbacks, Dot struggles to not give in to her overdeveloped sense of responsibility, but her father is dying. She doesn’t want to let go.

“People live so hard for someone else that they forget to live for themselves.”

Lost excelled at making the flashbacks in each episode into their own kind of self-contained story, and this show does the same. Dolly’s flashbacks cover a lot of ground, up through her dad deciding it’s time to decide when he goes. But he needs Dot’s help to give him the morphine overdose.

In e2, the girls set off for the summit. This time in e3, a new trio sets off for the plane wreckage a fair distance into the water. Thanks to a calm surf, they make it a lot more easily than Tom Hanks and Wilson. The idea is that the wreckage probably has essential supplies. I’ve got to wonder how deep they’ll have to dive, but they brought along Rachel, the olympic-level diver. Well, not that kind of diver. But she’s great in water and the best person for the task.

They return to the shore with a huge find: the black box. They open the box and take out the recording, ready to finally know the truth of how they crashed.

Much as I waited for the magnetic sounds of the Lost island, what we hear is far more chilling. It was a real accident that should have killed all of them, and yet somehow, they’re alive.

There would be a comfort in knowing someone was behind this, even if they’re malevolent. Instead, they believe this was fate.

The truth is almost ready to reveal itself…because what’s this at the end of the episode but a clue that maybe I was right after all! In a flashback after Dolly’s dad died, we see her talking to the leader of the shadow organization. She tells her fine, give her what she wants and she’ll do what the shadow org wants.

“You ready to bring your A game?”

“I mean… I’m ready to bring a game…whatever that means.”

“How do I get a guy to like me?”

“Oh…you just stop paying attention to them and then they just, like, appear out of nowhere.”

Trigger warning: extreme simulated violence toward reptiles

Yikes episode 7 falls completely apart. I hope it recovers.

About episode 7.

Watched it all. Goes off the rails the last few episodes but has enough good things to recommend it.

Watched the first ep, was pretty sure what the deal was and it seems the end of ep confirmed that.

Will continue on, wasn’t really into it until it got to Leah’s backstory and it picked up

1 Like

I’m on ep6 and am too into it now to keep commenting on each episode as I watch. Too good not to give it my full attention.

2nd EP is making me sad, its good, also I can think of some reasons why a cop is interviewing them but seems really dumb regardless of how this shit plays out and no reasons really at all why they would be doing it alone.

1 Like

what makes Leah exceptional in your opinion and she had some fault don’t you think?

Edit: I guess you can say she was taken advantage of obviously and I would agree but I mean fault in lying about her age which is what led to her being cast aside. I guess you could say she should have never been in that position if the guy wasn’t an asshole.

That reveal at end of EP 2 wowwow

edit: i guess the “cops” could be part of whoever put them on the island and its just some sort of debriefing thing.

1 Like

As far as Leah and the sexual abuse, I think it’s ep4 or 5 where a character will more directly address Leah’s story. I will have to think about it some more. Just my general feelings on adults abusing minors. There is a lot to unpack if we want to discuss how a minor can process and heal from sexual abuse, including questions of responsibility and whether that’s even the right word for an abused minor.

I would have to re-watch those first episodes to talk more about how my analysis might apply to her beyond that.

1 Like

The girls just found a bag of weed edibles on a deserted island hahahahaha gogogogogogogogo

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Yea agreed with all of that

Edit: I’m halfway through ep3 but really feeling for all of the girls so far.

1 Like

It starts to go off the rails a bit at this point.