The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

It’s a mistake to assess modern art by using ideas of aesthetics. After Duchamp, the most important artist of the 20th century, much of modern art has been in revolt against bourgeois values of tastefulness.

I’m not a Koons fan, just pointing out that different metrics apply when assessing certain types of modern art.

1 Like

Well I mean…I haven’t seen this piece before and know nothing about it, but it’s very obviously deliberately hideously gaudy and probably some kind of conceptual joke aimed at the sort of Uber rich moron who thinks it’s a signifier of good taste.

1 Like

I was trying to think of something kitsch and not really very artistically good, but which has broad appeal.
I think most people like at least one Queen song, even if guiltily.

I’m midway through season 4 of Letterkenny, and I’m enjoying it, even though some of bits fall flat.

I actually tapped out early during Fartbook, but I watched the next episode and was hooked.

Season 5 is maybe my favorite season. There’s a couple of episodes I’m not too fond of but I love the Tony/Tony relationship.

1 Like

This spoiler-free review convinced me The Wilds–described as “teen girl LOST”–will be the next show I watch.

a truly addictive blend of mystery, drama, comedy, and fear.

While Lost took its time in the first season to make it clear just how many mysteries were lurking on the island, from the beginning The Wilds makes it clear that there’s a lot more going on here than we might know.

trust me, you don’t want to be spoiled for anything that happens. The pacing of the big reveals is one of the first season’s strongest attributes, with plenty of unexpected surprises that go well beyond what you might expect

the way that the show plays with its multiple timeframes is downright masterful at times. Sometimes the twists might feel on the verge of over-the-top, but there’s rarely a lack of clarity as to when a certain scene is taking place, and the structure delivers some real gut-punches thanks to savvy editing.

Watch-along thread if anyone wants to follow along with me :+1:

1 Like

The narrator is awesome lololololol

Couple episodes into this and it’s pretty good so far. Not what I expected at all.

to be fair Ted Lasso is so good its worth the cost of apple + itself or uh you know, do what I do.

2 Likes

I’m determined to watch the final season of Shameless but my God it is so awful. It is hard to imagine/remember that this show was once great.

I tapped out a few years back. I will fondly remember the old show that would effortlessly leap from absurd comedy to crushing pathos while humanizing a class of people that usually get either mocked or ignored.

2 episodes into How To with John Wilson and I’m not feeling the amount of praise it’s been getting. Way too much narration and his voice makes it worse. The interaction with people is great though. Hopefully it evens out the rest of the series.

I can’t believe this is still going, I think I stopped around season 5 and my wife made it to season 7 or 8. Those first few seasons were great though

I finished the season. Part of what I enjoyed about the show was just seeing everyday happenings in pre-COVID New York. I always liked walking around to different parts of the city and doing things like watching buildings under construction. That’s something I’ve missed over the last 8 months while I’ve been largely confined to my apartment and even when I’m out haven’t ventured outside of a ~3 mile radius.

I didn’t expect that the season would catch up to COVID times. It feels like it wrapped up in early days of COVID (maybe April), so I hope the next season has more COVID content even though I don’t think it needs to be the focus of an episode.

Overall didn’t find the Mandela Effect stuff super interesting since I have seen that covered many other places, but it was hilarious when he was putting stickers on all the Febreeze bottles and Stouffer’s Stove Top Stuffing boxes to the Meatloaf song, especially when the random dude put one of them in his shopping cart.

2 Likes

Hype for this soon-to-be-streaming movie.

We’re introduced to Maude Garrett (Moretz), a British pilot and mechanic charged with caring for an important package. She hops a ride with a ragtag, all-male crew of pilots who put Maude below the plane in a specialized cockpit that gives her a view of the airspace below. As Maude attempts to assert herself against the misogynistic cracks of the dudes, she also has a fight brewing with enemy planes and gremlin creatures that try to get on board. It’s very reminiscent of the William Shatner Twilight Zone episode “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” except Maude has a couple of kinds of monsters to combat.

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1338626879125737472
https://twitter.com/HeSlimedMe__/status/1338640913086746626

“I’m fucking Batman.” - Batman

1 Like

1 Like

“F-bomb” could actually be a literal bomb gizmo that Batman drops on one of the bad guys.

3 Likes

The bomb gag in the OG Batman movie was the franchise peak. It’s all been downhill since.

7 Likes