The Walrus - master thread

I initially voted 20 but I think three regular walruses or one and one grab bag should be sufficient, so changed it to 15.

1 Like

OK, well, given I asked the question I may as well follow up. From an inconclusive poll I took the weighted average, which is 17.14. So I used 17 entries as the cut off, which seems fair.

Therefore, recognising the eternal truth that Walrus is pain, I present the real heroes of our endeavour so far:

:1st_place_medal: @mjiggy 17.9% hero ratio
:2nd_place_medal: @6ix 16.7% hero ratio
:3rd_place_medal: @TheDuker 15% hero ratio
4 Likes

Kick off here:

Thanks for doing this. I want to point out that these three were all last place finishers that I think were just given to the wrong judges and would have otherwise been strong entries. Goatnitski himself even said he enjoyed my very first entry that got last place (the Local Natives song). My other last places were likely well deserved.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to start a Christmas themed (relatively) quick Walrus. I thought of doing it last year, but left it too late. My categories would be:

1. Original Christmas song

2. Performance of a traditional Christmas song

3. Best Christmas classic, where the usual Walrus rule of preferring something we havenā€™t heard a million times before is out the window. (Though Iā€™d likely disqualify Fairytale of New York as I love it too much and itā€™d definitely be submitted.)

The aim would be to get participants and entries ASAP and do the reveals well in advance of Christmas proper. There is some chance I could do the reveals over Christmas as chances are weā€™re not traveling to see family this year because of the old COVIDs, but Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s a good idea anyway. We could discuss schedule, obvs.

Anyway, Iā€™m posting to ask if anyone is interested in that sort of thing? And also, given Iā€™m doing the the contest currently, I donā€™t want people to think Iā€™m hogging the walrus (so to speak). Iā€™d be happy to let someone else run a Christmas one if that were the case, and be just as content to be a participant.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think I know any good Christmas songs, but Iā€™d certainly rail and provide opinions no one asked for.

3 Likes

Part of the reason I want to do it is because this is commonly said and while thereā€™s loads of terrible ones, I do think thereā€™s some good stuff out there.

2 Likes

This might be a slightly tough one but Iā€™ll give it a shot if you want to run it. Can I get a little clarification on the difference between categories 2 and 3 though?

There are two good Christmas songs from the last like 30 years and everyone knows them.

I donā€™t know them.

Well, seems not much interest, but for 3 Iā€™m thinking classic in the sense of Christmas pop songs that get played every year. So if you thought Whamā€™s Last Christmas was actually fantastic then youā€™d submit it there. Whereas 2 is for people doing versions of carols and the like.

Iā€˜m in if this happens

1 Like

:frowning:

Christmas songs arenā€™t my thing, but I donā€™t think there is such a thing as Goatnitski running too many Walren.

2 Likes

My wife is never going to believe thereā€™s some group where Iā€™m a pro-Christmas outlier. Maybe there is a war against it after all!

You got one of the two

1 Like

2 Likes

Needs definitions of original, traditional, and classic.

If I were to run one, itā€™d be:
Version of a Christmas song originally written before some year x
Version of a modern Christmas song written since the beginning of the rock and roll era
Version of a Christmas song recorded in a genre other than a mainstream pop/rock or traditional vocal style
A winter-themed song that isnā€™t particularly Christmas-y in nature

1 Like

How about:

1. Best/favorite Jesus Christmas song
  2. Best/favorite no Jesus Christmas song
  3. Best/Favorite winter/no Christmas/Hannukah/other winter solstice holiday song

Overall Iā€™d say I judge the interest to actually participate to be insufficient, but I donā€™t want to ignore helpful suggestions.

Original and traditional was mean to distinguish original songs written by or for the performer, and traditional carols or Christmas songs that loads of people have done and have been around a long time. Maybe a cutoff for original songs is a good idea as I suppose you could submit the Bing Crosby version of White Christmas as original under my rules.

I think Iā€™d enjoy a Jesus / No Jesus split, that might even be a better way to capture something of traditional / original.

The round for just winter or any cultural celebration of this time of year is good. I did worry about offending people with making something all about Christmas, but that was what I know, so [shrug]. I hope you heathens know I love you all really!

I would like to keep one about the modern-ish mainstream songs that get played loads at this time of year. Mostly because I do think some of them are good, and because theyā€™re a big part of how Iā€™ve always experienced Christmas. That may just be me, though.

1 Like