The Walrus - master thread

No just first and last places, like you said

Idea:

16 people submit two songs each that (in their opinion) were unfairly nodiumed and deserve a second look from the masses.

32 songs, bracket style.

So, I wasted my life and now have a spreadsheet containing all the winners and losers from the Walruseses so far.

There have been 97 judged rounds, so thatā€™s a lot. Not sure it helps with any proposed contest, but it wasnā€™t wasted. For example, one stat I can now discover is who has come last the most times?

Iā€™ll just tot it up ā€¦ and the pathetic loser with no fewer than 9 last place finishes is:

pyatnitski

Fucking hell!!

6 Likes

Did you also grab the youtube links? Thanks for getting this going either way!

2 Likes

Goat

3 Likes

Yes, I have the submitter, judge, title, artist and link.

Thinking about structureā€¦

15 groups of 6, with 1 group of 7 - top two through, then gives a 32 song knock out.

4 Likes

I gotta be close, right?

1 Like

Only 6 times, joint 3rd most frequent loser along with @skydiver8

@Jalfrezi managed 7, surprisingly not all Captain Beefheart tracks.

(I wondered whether to @ or not, but I couldnā€™t do this without naming names and best done to your faces imo.)

3 Likes

Yeah that sounds like a good structure to me.

2 Likes

This has the potential to be magnificent

4 Likes

Iā€™d like to thank the Academy and all the walrus judges for this honorā€¦

5 Likes

I feel as though skipping the last two robbed me of a chance to usurp (undersurp?) you as greatest number of last places.

3 Likes

Yeah also need to count how many people have entered to get the ratio. Does this also include grab bags? Iā€™ve definitely stacked up quite a few last places, at least 5 off the top of my head and only been in three or four walruses.

1 Like

Yep, 5 in total. 3 of them handed down by myself. All deserved.

The participation angle is a decent point, afraid I didnā€™t record that but maybe wouldnā€™t be too arduous to go back and do.

1 Like

Donā€™t want to butt in, but Iā€™d be happy enough sorting the brackets if that suits. I guess Iā€™d just randomise them? Can also just share the spreadsheet.

Please do if you have time! I think random is fine unless someone has a better idea.

Anyone else with ideas? I think this is sounding cool so far.

Options
  • Include the name of the host
  • Include the name of the submitter
  • Include the category it was submitted to
  • Other (explain)

0 voters

@pyatnitski if you can think of ways to divide the labor on any of this, let us know. Iā€™m sure others are willing to help.

1 Like

totally bereft of ideas! you guys are the braintrust : The Goat and Lacazette!

2 Likes

I think I have all the data prepared. Iā€™ll maybe stick up a thread in the next few days to advertise the plan and then get started.

Important business before that, though. In an effort to give @mjiggy his ā€˜rightfulā€™ place in the sun I did harvest participants so I can now calculate who has the most last places per categories entered.

Jiggy managed an incredible 17.9% last places from 28 efforts, but, depending on where you draw the line he maybe still isnā€™t the champion! I donā€™t want my prejudices to influence this, though, soā€¦

Iā€™m assuming those entered infrequently (one walrus = 5-7 categories, very occasionally 14) should not be considered for overall stats, but how many categories do you think you should have entered to be counted here?

Minimum Entries Needed to be ā€˜Rankedā€™

0 voters

1 Like

Include the hostā€™s comments so we can all laugh at them for not appreciating our genius choices.

2 Likes