The Walrus - master thread

totally bereft of ideas! you guys are the braintrust : The Goat and Lacazette!

2 Likes

I think I have all the data prepared. I’ll maybe stick up a thread in the next few days to advertise the plan and then get started.

Important business before that, though. In an effort to give @mjiggy his ‘rightful’ place in the sun I did harvest participants so I can now calculate who has the most last places per categories entered.

Jiggy managed an incredible 17.9% last places from 28 efforts, but, depending on where you draw the line he maybe still isn’t the champion! I don’t want my prejudices to influence this, though, so…

I’m assuming those entered infrequently (one walrus = 5-7 categories, very occasionally 14) should not be considered for overall stats, but how many categories do you think you should have entered to be counted here?

Minimum Entries Needed to be ‘Ranked’

0 voters

1 Like

Include the host’s comments so we can all laugh at them for not appreciating our genius choices.

2 Likes

I initially voted 20 but I think three regular walruses or one and one grab bag should be sufficient, so changed it to 15.

1 Like

OK, well, given I asked the question I may as well follow up. From an inconclusive poll I took the weighted average, which is 17.14. So I used 17 entries as the cut off, which seems fair.

Therefore, recognising the eternal truth that Walrus is pain, I present the real heroes of our endeavour so far:

:1st_place_medal: @mjiggy 17.9% hero ratio
:2nd_place_medal: @6ix 16.7% hero ratio
:3rd_place_medal: @TheDuker 15% hero ratio
4 Likes

Kick off here:

Thanks for doing this. I want to point out that these three were all last place finishers that I think were just given to the wrong judges and would have otherwise been strong entries. Goatnitski himself even said he enjoyed my very first entry that got last place (the Local Natives song). My other last places were likely well deserved.

1 Like

I’d like to start a Christmas themed (relatively) quick Walrus. I thought of doing it last year, but left it too late. My categories would be:

1. Original Christmas song

2. Performance of a traditional Christmas song

3. Best Christmas classic, where the usual Walrus rule of preferring something we haven’t heard a million times before is out the window. (Though I’d likely disqualify Fairytale of New York as I love it too much and it’d definitely be submitted.)

The aim would be to get participants and entries ASAP and do the reveals well in advance of Christmas proper. There is some chance I could do the reveals over Christmas as chances are we’re not traveling to see family this year because of the old COVIDs, but I’m not sure that’s a good idea anyway. We could discuss schedule, obvs.

Anyway, I’m posting to ask if anyone is interested in that sort of thing? And also, given I’m doing the the contest currently, I don’t want people to think I’m hogging the walrus (so to speak). I’d be happy to let someone else run a Christmas one if that were the case, and be just as content to be a participant.

3 Likes

I don’t think I know any good Christmas songs, but I’d certainly rail and provide opinions no one asked for.

3 Likes

Part of the reason I want to do it is because this is commonly said and while there’s loads of terrible ones, I do think there’s some good stuff out there.

2 Likes

This might be a slightly tough one but I’ll give it a shot if you want to run it. Can I get a little clarification on the difference between categories 2 and 3 though?

There are two good Christmas songs from the last like 30 years and everyone knows them.

I don’t know them.

Well, seems not much interest, but for 3 I’m thinking classic in the sense of Christmas pop songs that get played every year. So if you thought Wham’s Last Christmas was actually fantastic then you’d submit it there. Whereas 2 is for people doing versions of carols and the like.

I‘m in if this happens

1 Like

:frowning:

Christmas songs aren’t my thing, but I don’t think there is such a thing as Goatnitski running too many Walren.

2 Likes

My wife is never going to believe there’s some group where I’m a pro-Christmas outlier. Maybe there is a war against it after all!

You got one of the two

1 Like

2 Likes