The TSLA Market / Economy

If nothing else, don’t they have an amazing warranty?

Just pick a flyover state that isnt running out of water and start building a Singapore replica.

How odd, This is also the title of my upcoming book, “How to Work in the Public Sector: Everyone is stupid except me”.

3 Likes

Michigan would do well imo.

Low IQ individuals, all true geniuses know the correct answer is “everyone is stupid, including me. And having this self-awareness is what makes me slightly less dumb than everyone else.”

1 Like

Yeah average vehicle age on the road now over 12 years. Think its up like two years in the last two decades.

Singapore does a lot of the highrise-in-a-park style development that creates lifeless streets, like this:

To create a vibrant urban environment you need to use buildings to define space. I think mixed-use mid-rise is the sweet spot. People don’t just use those streets to get where they’re going, they live their lives on them.

5 Likes

Hyundai Elantra was my first new car. Got that shit back before Hyundais were expensive. It was a great little car. I also miss driving stick. Oh well.

There’s a certain type of insufferable mega rich guy who takes unreasonable pride in driving a shitty car, this is super prevalent among techbro assholes in my experience. Like they’ll be completely insufferable fucks with like a private chef and a $5 million house but constantly make sure the world knows they drive a Subaru FUCK YOU

1 Like

Genesis used to be a model under the Hyundai brand. I think they had both a sedan and coupe option. Then they spun it off into it’s own subsidiary and now make a number of vehicles on the luxury end.
Hyundai also owns Kia. So they have Kia, Hyundai, Genesis, and, apparently, they spun off another brand called IONIQ in 2020.

Hyundai also has the nut low dealers.

Did not read, but how much of that is just people paying off their balance every month? I’ve technically always got credit card debt.

I don’t know if this changes your opinion of my opinion, but I’m 100% OK with financing on a depreciating asset if I can get a better return investing that money. That’s not why most people are doing that. I actually did that myself for the car I currently own (it’s been 15 years, so I forgot. I had the cash but I did a 1.X% financing deal).

Most people finance cars because they just can’t afford them otherwise, not because they are playing the interest rate arbitrage game.

So circling back to the original comparison, if I couldn’t afford a hair transplant and I wanted one, I’d absolutely consider financing one. The technology is much better than what “Plugs” got and you’ll likely keep most the the transplanted hair indefinitely. There is also no real substitute for a hair transplant if baldness bothers you. I have a couple of close bald friends who got hair transplantation and it was absolutely life changing for them (their words).

On the other hand if I couldn’t afford to buy a Lexus or whatever, I’d just buy a shittier car.

Part of the issue is that the best areas happen by accident. They are hard to make.

A lot of this comes down to externalities.

A row of cheap, small, market stalls filled with amazing restaurants is probably not the best use of the land in terms of what could be built there. But when one already exists it creates huge value to the neighborhood as a whole.

Are hair plugs the same as a hair transplant? Where they move hair from the sides of your head to the top?

I don’t think the ioniq is another brand, just a model line that lives under the Hyundai brand. It still has the Hyundai badge on the hood.

1 Like

Kind of. “Hair plugs” refers to is one type of a hair transplant. It is an outdated way of doing it where they take small groups of hairs (i.e. “a plug” because that’s the shape of the groups) and plant them that way. When it heals, the scarring makes it obvious it is transplanted hair (you can easily find photos online). These days anyone good plants mostly individual hairs. If done well it’s much harder to tell.

I guess a lot of people say “Hair plugs” to refer to any type of hair transplant, but the origin of the term is from the old technique.

Both my friends who had them done had them done in the last 5 years and they look pretty good. Tough (but not impossible) to tell they had a hair transplant.

1 Like

I left Denver in 2011, sold the car I had, and haven’t owned since. I will never again live in a city that requires a car.

It’s wild to me how different my existence is from others sometimes. The thought of not having a car that I can hop in at any time and drive anywhere in the country without notice gives me extreme anxiety.

Of course, I never actually run into that scenario but so it goes.

1 Like

There’s an adjustment period, but you get used to it. I liked my car a lot and was missing driving, but now a decade later, I can’t imagine living in a city where I “need” a car and couldn’t just walk to 90-95% of things and use a decent bus/metro/tram system for the other stuff.

And to get anywhere in the country, usually there will be an extensive train/bus system for journeys of up to 6-7 hours. For other stuff, just fly (I hated driving trips over about 5-6 hours anyway).

For example, Mexico City has a super awesome intercity bus system and there are dozens of cities/towns within a 5 hour trip worth visiting. Just take the metro to 1 of the 4 main bus terminals (N, S, E, W) and buy your ticket. They usually have really nice buses too that recline a decent amount, so it’s a comfortable trip. Europe obviously has their train system, but buses can work there as well.

The one thing that I do miss a car for is stringing together a couple cities/towns in 1 trip. For example, if you’re in Tuscany in Italy and just want to drive around to take it all in, maybe stop in 4-5 towns, maybe not, the flexibility of a car is unmatched. That’s the one scenario where I could see buying a junker and just using it for the occasional weekend trip. It wouldn’t be a daily driver.