The TSLA Market / Economy

That will get checked. Not sure if they will get away with it or not, but that at least will get someone to look at it.

Build shitty roads that you don’t maintain to make people hate driving.

Well that plan doesnt seemed to have worked after like two generations of trying, whats plan B?

1 Like

This line of thought has never made sense to me, in general. Maybe I’m unusual, but I always think of purchases in present value terms so that the purchase of something is separate from the financing of that thing.

Like, I might be willing to spend $10,000(?) on hair implants.
And if I can borrow that $10,000 at an attractive rate, I’d finance the hair implants.

Same thing with a car. I might be willing to spend $10,000 on a used car for my daughter.
And if I can borrow that $10,000 at an attractive rate, I’d finance the car.

But I can’t understand simultaneously:

• Being ok with the $10k price tag for both items.
  • Having access to the same financing for both items.
  • Refusing to finance the car because it’s a depreciating asset, while being ok with financing the hair implants because it’s not.

Am I the crazy one?

But there should be a correlation between more supply and lower price right?

I guess that’s some people move to Vancouver from Toronto or Calgary or whereever for the nice walkable urban oasis but mostly people move to where their jobs are not where neighborhoods are nice to walk around in. In my understanding dense walkable etc should just bring families from suburbs to urban but not from outside the metro to Vancouver.

1 Like

Financing hair implants is an interesting economic case study because attractiveness is something of a depreciating asset but also not as much of a direct asset if you’re already married (which brother in law implies), but at the same time there’s all sorts of studies that show attractiveness matters hugely in terms of career advancement and other tangible things so there should be an economic value to it. Is there an optimal Interest rate for hair implants and how does that differ for the optimal rate for dental work or ass implants or whatever in the grand scheme?

4 Likes

images

3 Likes

I just knew “get a credit card to pay off credit cards” would be the top option media presents

jfc

2 Likes

3 Likes

I think this question just highlights that spidercrab is right. Make purchases that you feel are worthwhile. Finance those purchases if you have access to favorable terms.

I wonder if there’s a burgeoning hair plug repossession industry for people who finance plugs then miss too many payments?

2 Likes

Wife: you’re not going to believe this, he got hair plugs

Me: probably financed them

Wife: he did

Me: wait, really

Wife: yes my mom got mad at him and let it slip lololol

6 Likes

I don’t think making a decision to do a 3-year lease of a new car is that disastrous for the environment. I get the impression from mosdef he meant more like every year, and nicer cars (I know people like this too–always a new car in the driveway).

In a vacuum I think EV’s are better for environment, but given that capacity is maxed out it doesn’t matter that much whether you make a marginal decision to buy ICE or EV. Buying a reasonable, economical car is probably the bigger deal.

There’s probably an argument to be made that buying a Hyundai Elantra is as good a decision as any.

Getting a new car every year sounds like a ridiculous pain in the ass.

1 Like

Lol car dealers, always, just pure rent seeking enabled by blatant corruption in state legislatures

giphy

4 Likes

If I could get an Elantra for msrp I would be so happy! I had one as a rental and the lane keep assist sucked but everything by else was great. Local dealers want a 3k market adjustment and no thanks

Hyundai actually has an elite product. They don’t get the cred of Toyota or Honda though.

1 Like

Re: Canada. It’s always fascinating how Canadian cities are more like their close neighbor counterparts in the US than each other. We have the same single family horrible issues (Chicago/Midwest-Toronto), better but not great urbanization in the east with great walkability (Boston-NYC/Montréal) and reasonable walkable cities in the west with huge roaming populations of drug addicts (Seattle/Vancouver)

Hot take: cars were 10x less reliable when Boomers were kids and they grew up in culture where buying a new car every few years was normal. People nowadays are maybe looking for their cars to last 10 years or so before getting a new model.

I think Hyundai is well respected as a brand these days? I just bought one a few months ago so I’m biased.

1 Like