The TSLA Market / Economy

We were just talking about this in the travel thread yesterday. North American cities are trapped in a cycle of designing cities to be car dependent with shitty alternatives and no walkability → people demanding more roads and more support for cars because their only experience with alternatives is long bus rides or walking miles along a stroad or almost getting killed trying to bike → making the city even more car dependent.

1 Like

Using a bus through rural Mexico would give me anxiety on its own. Maybe I am just a victim of the media but the horror stories from Mexican drug cartels would confine me to only the safest areas if I would visit Mexico.

I shrewdly did not buy a ticket for yesterday’s drawing

They’re quite safe. Between major cities in Mexico there are toll road “cuota” which are Federal property and heavily policed, with few entry/exit points. I’m talking like 30 miles where you cannot physically enter or leave the highway sometimes. Nice buses only take those roads.

1 Like

Lyft too, the tech bloodletting is starting.

Bank of England says UK likely to have the longest recession in their recorded history.

Is now a good time to buy a house?

1 Like

I thought this was the case too, but the wiki says they split it out

In August 2020, the company announced the launch of Ioniq as its own new electric brand and confirmed three new electric cars that will be sold under the sub-brand. Ioniq is Hyundai’s second stand-alone brand after the Genesis.

1 Like

I think most countries are headed for recession territory, but isn’t part of the UK’s problem that Brexit was a spiteful act of nationalism and not actually good economics?

When it comes to predicting recessions, we are all Jim Cramer. Especially the Bank of England.

Oh yeah, UK fucked for its own special reasons, no question.

True. That being said, there’s a nasty recession coming here.

No. I’m confident this is the case because I’m still going to try to buy one soon.

1 Like

Bay Area real estate about to come back to earth, IMO.

Tech areas in general are getting crushed. Austin’s house prices have come way down but rest of Texas have not since they are mostly dependent on oil. Denver/Seattle also gonna see bigger drops than the rest of the country.

When are these recessions supposed to start? Feels like the whole world has been expecting major recessions since spring.

Europe is definitely there already. US still in better shape, sort of mixed data. I think the job numbers start to crack before year end.

The major piece of evidence that we aren’t in a recession, according to most experts, is the unemployment data. We’re seeing some companies start to layoff people like Stripe, Lyft and others are in a hiring freeze like Amazon (corporate), Apple, Salesforce, but as far as I can tell, this is limited to the tech sector. I think a lot of folks probably agree that many of these tech companies are bloated too, so it can be tough to determine if they are the canary in the coal mine. If we start seeing non-tech layoffs, people are going to instantly start calling this a Recession.

Where I work we can’t attract office-workers, even at substantially higher salaries than 2 years ago, to save our lives. If there’s a recession I’m not seeing it in my area yet.

2 Likes

In my opinion, if unemployment is able to stay relatively low, I think we avoid what the general concensus is of a recession.

If the shit hits the fan on that end, I don’t think the “recession” would be similar in the manner of people fighting for employment and feeding and housing the family - which of course will be that, but also a generational loss of the opportunity for people to create and own their own businesses/restaurants and so forth or just the ability to create wealth for themselves as barrier to entry to just about everything outside the largest companies in the world would become far more difficult to compete with than it is now - which it is already.