The TSLA Market / Economy

Kamala smoking pot has finally moved the penny weed stock into the black today.

We need more politicians and people in power smoking pot.

Uhh, you can disregard my last message. Weed stock tanking!

Seems…correct?

Anyone have any idea why it appears that I’m only getting 60% of the RSUs I should be? On Fidelity it shows my grants, but when they vest, I only get some of them and it doesn’t show why at all, it even has the “real” number as distributed. I don’t get it.

Are they selling some of the shares at the time of vesting to cover taxes? Just a wild guess if I’m even understanding the question correctly…

1 Like

Uh maybe? Fucking website is awful and I can’t figure anything out.

With my RSUs the useful options are:

• Sell a whole number of shares to cover the taxes and deposit the change in cash.
  • Sell a fractional number of shares to cover the taxes and I get a funny number of shares each month.
  • Auto-sell the whole thing and get after tax cash.

40% for taxes is in the right ballpark for me in California. I can see the taxes clearly on my pay stub. The RSUs make their own pay slip. There under earnings I see a line for the RSU which shows the full value as current pay. The taxes show as normal. Under deductions there is a line “Class C Offset” which is the value of the shares, which makes sense because they gave me shares not cash so there needs to be a deduction to make net pay 0.

Whatever you do, never ever ever even try to pick up the phone and call Fidelity. Just keep ranting here, that’s your best bet. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thats possible but its also possible that there’s a pretty big Tesla price drop and this all becomes just another cautionary tale about investor exuberance outpacing real value.

Also, Tesla does have a real product. I always had the impress that people driving Teslas like them. At that price point you cam buy very nice alternative luxury cars, so its not like they don’t have a product.

The RSUs vesting is a taxable event, and they sell enough shares to cover the withholding requirement. So if you have 100 shares vesting, and the stock prices is $50, you have $5000 in ordinary income (assuming that your basis is $0, which is common). They take out x% for federal and y% for state, round to the nearest whole number of shares, sell them, and send the money to the tax authorities. Check your pay stubs to look for that withholding and RSU income, and double check next year when doing taxes.

Huh thanks that’s pretty weird to me like why aren’t I paying my own taxes? But I’ll accept that

Yeah, RSU lapses at my company include sales to cover taxes.

Lately I’ve been diving into finance blogs looking to learn more about investing, and new opportunities.

Almost all of the money I use to invest is pre-tax savings that I shovel into a Vanguard target retirement fund, so this is all after-tax straight up gambol that I don’t really care if I lose. For all the money I spend on fantasy sports, online poker apps, etc., I’ve always thought that money and time could be better spent towards learning about investing. The stock market, after all, might as well be fantasy capitalism. What if, instead of researching Fernando Tatis Jr’s decline in O-swing%, I learned more about analytics to look at market caps and P/E ratios?

Found a delightful blog called www.otcadventures.com. Apparently it’s a finance guy who turned a hobby of analyzing penny stocks/OTC markets into a fund that he manages for friends/clients that now has almost $40M in assets. His quarterly letters read like he thinks he’s some kind of self-actualized Warren Buffet, lol. We should all love what we do so much.

Anyway, his fund’s biggest position is a company called P10 Holdings (PIOE). This is an asset manager that acquires fee streams of other private equity fund managers. In the last year they’ve acquired 2 equity managers that build scale for their company, to make themselves comparable to other public alternative asset managers.

This is a micro-cap unlisted stock that doesn’t report to the SEC, so all the usual caveats apply. However, it’s kicked ass over the last year+, and is now trading in the mid $6’s. The exciting thing is these acquisitions signal that they plan to join an exchange soon and become listed, which would enable them to raise money from a wider pool of investors.

This guy believes deeply in P10’s management, strategy, and operations to make it his biggest bet, so I took a flyer on it. Check out his blog and his quarterly letters if you want to learn more.

“Not enough gambol, TJ!” you say? Well I have an even higher variance play for you.

Check out this blog post (on a different blog) about a penny stock called ECC Capital (ECRO).

Cliffs: this was a REIT that went busto in the subprime mortgage crisis in 2008. They eventually stopped issuing financials, and everyone assumed they were dead, even though they still had assets and NOL. Then in 2019, they decided it was best for the company to de-list as a REIT. Then in 2020, after 11 years of radio silence, they actually released financials from 2018 and 2019! This sent the stock from trading at 0.7 cents to 8 cents in a couple months. It’s at 7 cents now.

This guy thinks that releasing the financials, plus the company letters, indicates that the company wants to either liquidate its assets and sell it, or acquire some productive assets and monetize the NOL base they have, which would be good for shareholders. Or they could take the cash by diluting shares and investors are SOL. Or they could go dark for 10 more years.

So this guy thinks that for the discount on the cash they have, it’s a buy at this price and we’ll see what happens.

Well for starters, sports are easier to beat than STONKS (recent stonking notwithstanding).

I assume you’re joking, especially considering how much larger the vig is for sports betting vs. stonk picking.

I should have been more clear. By beating STONKS, I meant “beating market returns”. And I do think that is harder than being a winning sports bettor. Although both are very tough.

Obviously if you just passively invest in STONKS, you will effortlessly do better than trying to beat sports (or trying to beat market returns for that matter).

Beating sports betting is actually fairly easy for small dollar amounts. Once you know what you’re doing the challenge is getting real money down at the best numbers. Which was Billy Walters’ genius.

how big is small?

Yikes, definitely a not-stonks day. What’s going on? Was there news to create all the red in my portfolio? Or is everybody “profit taking”?