The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

Did you watch this one? Way further than typical televised roasts.

When I watched it Kim kardashian got booed when she came out. Apparently Netflix has now edited out the booing.

Ha she was still booed in the version I saw.

And yea re: political correctness it felt very much like something from 20 years ago. Like ā€œoh OK weā€™re still using ā€˜gayā€™ as an insult, got itā€

And Dana White, but that was to be expected

In this vein Iā€™m watching S1-S3 of Arrested Development for the first time in a few years and itā€™s just perfect

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched the first hour. The professional comedians Iā€™ve seen so far are Jeff Ross and Nikki Glaser and they did material along the lines of what I expected.

Iā€™m a fan of roast-style humor. Have you ever watched Roast Battle?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1788253238195535939

My favorite roast battle (not from the actual show):

I want to resist, butā€¦that sounds kind of promising.

If there is a worse popular stand up, and there are plenty of bad ones, than Bert Kreischer, I donā€™t know who it is. Heā€™s a loud, shirtless boor with two jokes he keeps repeating. Heā€™s the anti-funny.

The roast was kind of weird. Lots of gay jokes made it feel dated but I guess thatā€™s what to expect with a dais of jocks. I thought Nikki Glaser was very funny. I donā€™t always love her standup but sheā€™s great at these roasts.

4 Likes

Is Diamontapolous the boom mic operator going to be a main character?

1 Like

He already made three commas, so he really doesnā€™t need to work at a local paper.

1 Like

Well, Glaser did make fun of him having one jokeā€¦

1 Like

I have not watched that. The sets at the Brady roast that were ā€œwowā€ (in terms of things I couldnā€™t believe were being said) IIRC were Tony Hinchcliffe, Julian Edelman, and Andrew Schulz.

June 27. Weā€™re getting the stupid binge-drop again so that the show can get one week in the conversation before people see a shiny new object. Anyway, will certainly be watching.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve gotten through another hour and Edelman and Hinchcliffe seemed like basic roast humor that I expected.

Some of the things I write here that offend people and get flagged are actually me being imitative of this style of humor rather than me being angry.

1 Like

Iā€™ve gotten through about 45 minutes so far. No way I can watch something like this in one sitting even though Iā€™ve enjoyed it so far. Nikki killed it. I am curious to see how Andrew Schulz does. Iā€™ve enjoyed his rise. He does race jokes as a white guy in a way that just kind of works. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if these guys are mostly deplorable douchebags off stage but a lot of them are really good at walking that fine line. It seems like so many comedians start off that way then just lose touch the way Chapelle did.

because of woke

2 Likes

Finished the roast. Never heard of Andrew Schulz, but he was what I expect from professional comedians doing roasts. Belichick was kind of like a nervous Bob Newhart. Will Ferrell doing Will Farrell things. Going to have to seek out more Sam Jay stuff. Brady came across as way more artificial than the other athletes.

Least realistic part of Sugar is how nice the interior of this ā€œmotelā€ looks.

1 Like

Holy shit Brady is some sort of weird AI programmed to be stiff and cringey.

1 Like