The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

I’m playing one of the Yakuza games for the first time and it’s incredible storytelling, it’s surprising they haven’t already made a TV show out of it. If the show matches the vibe of the game I’m definitely in.

2 Likes

If it’s going to be the same quality as Love, Death, and Robots I feel like they said, “What if we kind of did a Ready Player One, but good”

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1825975401774002420

4 Likes

Could be really amazing. Could be really awful. Hope it’s amazing

1 Like

I saw Spelunky flash by. Count me in.

Almost done with Dogs of Berlin. It’s a 1 season German show from 2018. I’m absolutely loving it and surprised I never heard about it. Although it has all the tropes I love, organized crime, gambling degeneracy, corrupt cops, etc.

Random Succession post, will speak to the series finale so I’ll put it under tags.

I always found it amazing that there was any part of the Succession viewership that was Team Kendall and were rooting for him. Each of the kids was contemptible in their own way, so I couldn’t really develop a positive rooting interest in anyone, but I do think that I ended up settling on a rooting interest of “anyone but Kendall.” So it’s not like I felt like I was watching Shiv do something heroic when she turned against Kendall at the final vote, but I was enjoying the hell out of it happening.

Kendall’s thirst was just too much for me to take. Rooting for him to get to take over felt like I imagine it would feel to root for Bradley Cooper to win an Oscar. If someone is that openly thirsty, the only reasonable reaction is to want to pour salt down their throat to dehydrate them further. Although I imagine it would theoretically be possible to have made a satisfying series finale where Kendall got the job, it’s so much harder to imagine that the show would have been better off for going that way.

3 Likes

My theory is that the character was so well written and so well acted that most of us couldn’t help rooting for him. This next idea isn’t exactly Kendall, but… I think some of the “we love an anti-hero” articles that have been written in the past weren’t exactly wrong but were also just underrating how well written and acted Tony Soprano, Omar Little, and Walter White were. Shit, I rooted for Cersei.

2 Likes

But I just can’t categorize Kendall Roy in the same bucket as those characters. The reason that he was impossible to root for was not because he was morally bankrupt (like those characters clearly are) but because he was a sniveling and pathetic loser baby (which is not how I would describe those other characters).

People like Tony Soprano satisfy some sort of wish fulfillment for the worst parts of ourselves. If a part of you wishes that you were actually a badass who people fear and cower before, morality be damned, that makes psychological sense. But there’s just no way I could imagine wanting to be Kendall Roy. That’s just wishing for an opportunity to beg and plead for your shitty father’s approval. He basically wasn’t impressive in any way. It was a marvel when he didn’t completely collapse after he started the “big shoes” glitch in the presentation during the final season, but it didn’t feel like a moment of triumph. It was more like, “Huh. He stopped puking on himself. Well that’s something.”

3 Likes

1 Like

Kendall was not a serious person.

1 Like

How dare you.

3 Likes

2 Likes

These guys at least had a “code” of sorts and generally seemed “less bad” than other bad guys in the show. Kendall is just a piece of shit.

I liked Roman the most out of the siblings. He was an asshole and had some really bad moments, but he showed glimmers of actually having a conscience. Plus, he was funny.

2 Likes

Roman was pretty all-in on the fascism, but he may have just been a nihilist.

2 Likes

1 Like

Roman was the funniest by far. I don’t really see him as having any other redeeming features, but I’ll be damned if that bastard didn’t bring me joy.

Even so, maybe my favorite Kendall moment (outside of L to the OG) was him coldly telling Roman, “You tried to dad it and you fucked it.”

3 Likes

Cougar Town is highly underrated. Cruised right from Scrubs to Cougar Town and man what a great couple months of nostalgia tv

2 Likes

All this Kendall talk is making want to watch Succession again.

It’s neither. He didn’t care about politics at all imo.