The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

Breaking Bad had a strong opening with Walt in his underwear recording his confession

3 Likes

They didnā€™t hold up for multiple seasons, but the first scenes of Orphan Black and The Walking Dead were really good.

3 Likes

Lost for me. A brief moment of calm that turns into sudden sustained chaos.

2 Likes

Oh ya Lost is way up there. Different reasons but immediately hooked you.

1 Like

Iā€™m early in the second episode of presumed innocent.

This gets better, right?

Cause this is the worst group of prosecutors on the planet and Rusty is nothing but a stupid pig and if his wife doesnā€™t kill him by episode 3, I will

You sent me on a hunt. Sopranos 6th rewatch is over. Searching for the best 5 opening minutes and I decided to watch Cheers 1st ep opening. I have only watched it from start to finish once probably 15 years ago all the way through. Holy fuck it is good. On Paramount+ and it is perfection a cold open leading into the iconic theme song.

Six Feet Under gets runner up. Think Iā€™m just going to watch some Cheers but itā€™s an interesting question. Everyone remember when there was a literal debate about whether SFU or Sopranos was better? Sopranos obviously is but SFU I think gets forgotten because Sopranos and then The Wire were such masterpieces. I watched an episode and I think it deserves a rewatch. Only watched it once like 20 years ago and I loved it but for some reason never even thought about ever rewatching it.

1 Like

Sopranos may deliver as the overall better series, but Iā€™d argue SFU rules as having a perfect opening five minutes in the pilot AND a perfect closing five minutes in the finale. Sopranos is infamous for its final moments as being divisive among viewers.

I gotta watch Cheers again just to judge the opening five. Iā€™d say Frasier also has an elite opening five.

ā€œFirst my wife left me, which was painful. Then she came back, which was excruciating.ā€

1 Like

Ya the SFU first 5 was pretty great also. Definitely way above average which is why I fired it up. For me in hindsight knowing what happens it is a little obvious all around but it really introduces you to all the characters in literally 5 minutes. In that sense it might be the best ever. Sometimes watching prestige TV feels like a chore until you have that ā€œI get itā€ moment but SFU is right away guns blazing and it feels like you know the whole family in minutes. Amazing really if you think about it.

As an aside the cast was insane. Even Claire is a main from Canā€™t Hardly Wait which is one of the most underrated movies ever. Dead dad is Dale Dobrauchā€™s dad? Probably the most amazing dad in modern TV history. Shit rocks. (Oh ya Michael C. Hall)

1 Like

Unrelated this has to be the best fake music video in movie history right?

1 Like

Lol! Thatā€™s pretty good. Reminds me of Im on a Boat from Lonely Island.

2 Likes

Just finished a rewatch of Scrubs tonight. Man I really love Scrubs. Iā€™m in kind of a melancholy mood now. I think going back and watching stuff like this not only makes me miss the show and characters but also that time in my life. Gonna fire up Cougar Town and then Spin City as Iā€™m feeling some Bill Lawrence comedy at the moment.

3 Likes

I know ill be pretty low on the list here but the first ten minite of Youre The Worst is perfect. Its a pilot that does absolutely everything it needs to do.

1 Like

I actually didnā€™t like that much and was really questioning my decision to watch the series.

It definitely hits harder on a rewatch. But less impactful if you are going in cold, imo.

1 Like

So, nothing about House of the Dragon season finale?

it was bullshit, even worse because the episode before was a banger. Ulf scenes arenā€™t close to working, cole scene was even more cringe than the last five cole scenes, and sheepstealer dragon girl somehow overacted being thirsty. Witch and helena both continue to crush and scene where daemon trips and binge watches eight seasons of GoT was good, and simon strong still the highlight of probably the whole series. Meanwhile dialogue like ā€œhelena donā€™t rideā€ is awful and insulting and also out of character for rhaenyra.

at its best HotD is a higbrow soap opera so when they forget to be soapy and pulpy and fun they are totally fucking up. Their major tactical mistake was making this a four-season show. They want to be d&d meets succession but theyā€™re not even close, succession was both smarter and more fun. Succession was an incredible series. But for Succession the plot was never remotely the point, while for House of the Dragon the entire source material is a plot outline.

House of the Dragon canā€™t sustain 30 episodes, it should have been a three-season 22-episode show where it was just banger after banger. But nope they got greedy and made it four seasons so consequently have an extra eight or nine hours to fill and that changes everything, it adds ten minutes of garbage to every episode and changes what should have a three season dragon rumpus into a long form etsy ad for candles and duvet covers and bath bombs and wicker

infuriating bc they got the episode before this exactly right. I was so excited

emma dā€™arcy is really good. And Matt Smith is miscast but heā€™s killing it too. Thereā€™s a lot of great acting and the show looks incredible. Iā€™m gonna watch every episode. But itā€™s trying to have its cake and eat it too which is a nice idea but for even half of it to work then at some point you do need to physically have cake

9 Likes

I think this show should be four seasons. Season three should end maybe just after the death of Rhaenyra and season four should end with the Hour of the Wolf.

Iā€™m not a bookreader I will not click your blurry sirens, I just know that for a soap opera the show is too mfing slow and would have been more fun if your first blur had just happened

the tag at the end of this scene is quintessential star trek. star wars would have had their speech end and go into a big battle scene because star wars is just about fighting. star trek is about exploration and appreciating new cultures and everyone is on board with that. even the vorta

I decided to watch Twin Peaks with my kids, and of course itā€™s amazing. But I think they got the population way wrong. No way is this a city of 50,000+. Seems like a few thousand at most, and even then itā€™s a stretch for everyone to know each other.

1 Like