The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

Love Shogun. My hope for the second season is that Toranaga goes to England with Blackthorne and helps him take power in the English Revolution.

Iā€™d rather have a prequel and get more Mariko

Nah, one-season shows are the way: no bullshit filler episodes, one big story arc, all your faves die. Leave them wanting more.

British prestige TV figured all this out hundreds of years ago with I, Claudius and House of Cards.

5 Likes

Surely Shogun was a one-off? There was just the one novel, and the series covered it.

2 Likes

Set Shogun II in the Edo period and have Blackthorne teach them how to play baseball imo.

Damn, if Matthew Perry was still with us he could have played the historical Matthew Perry

3 Likes

Surely they would think to adapt Musashi next. Iā€™d settle also for a modern Lone Wolf and Cub.

Thereā€™s already a famous trilogy of Musashi films, Japanese of course, but Iā€™d certainly welcome a remake.

Though it would be a harder sell to the Western audience due to a complete lack of, well, pale-faced Westerners.

1 Like

Sure. Iā€™d just love to see a remake with a big budget. Throw money at a Musashi series. Fair point about the lack of pale faced foreigners. Thatā€™s why they need to move fast and capture the fans of Shogun.

1 Like

My understanding is that book doesnā€™t focus on the big battle either.

I really enjoyed Ripley (on Netflix). Beautifully shot and I loved the slow pace. I also have come to realize I adore Andrew Scott. Looking at some reviews, it seems that those who donā€™t like it as much tend to have some significant affection for the Highsmith novel(s) and/or the previous adaptations and I can understand that. But I really sank into the ambience of this one.

Referring to Shogun? No, it ends right before the big battle.

Yes

lol Survivor 46: Island of the Idiots.

1 Like

Some pretty huge TV news that has flown under my radar an nearly everyone elseā€™s over the past few months.

During the Pandemic, AMC plus, AMCā€™s streaming only service ordered two seasons of an incredible adult animated series called Pantheon and began airing season 1. It was beautifully animated, and touched on topics of fate, afterlife, technology, and what it truly means to be a person. At the conclusion of Season 1 (which ended on a cliffhanger) we were hyped for S2, especially since S1 and S2 were filmed back to back and it was essentially in the can. However, AMC decided not only to decline to air season 2, but they removed all traces of season 1 from their AMC plus system, essentially killing the project entirely.

Fast forward to today, I was trying to remember one of the characterā€™s names, and came across this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/178mkrz/for_those_who_still_care_season_2_of_pantheon_is/

S2 was stealth released with no fanfair or advertising to Australian and NZ Prime video. How? Why? Who the hell knows, but I am currently downloading my ā€œAustralian Prime video viewerā€ now and will be watching the hell out of this all weekend.

Pretty significant news actually for those who are hoping for some dead series to make a return at some point, or for Coyote V Acme to maybe get a release somewhere down the line.

4 Likes

Ok watā€™s going on with the latest episode of Sugar? Are they showing us dalies now?

https://twitter.com/ohJuliatweets/status/1783992421912846340?t=V7nF7SR60sPH8hpJIpc6bg&s=19

1 Like

No real surprise there. Jerry has just been a funnier rendition of Bill Maher for a bit.

I hope some day I can find a job that when I inevitably start getting worse at it, instead of improving or evolving, I can just blame a bunch of 20 year olds for my shittiness

2 Likes

Itā€™s not as though Jerry is taking cracks at new sitcoms and failing. He tours once in a while and instantly sells out wherever, and then otherwise lives off of Seinfeld residuals. I presume heā€™s still really good? But I havenā€™t been to one of his shows; I just know itā€™s a hot ticket when it comes near. I donā€™t think he generally does the political whining in his work either. He just goes full boomer asshole when he sits down in an interview setting. But itā€™s been clear for decades that heā€™s not a great guy.

Still, itā€™s not really a Rob Schneider situation where Schneider does all of the same whining and is really unfunny and is kept afloat entirely through whatever his buddy Sandler throws him.

1 Like

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a billionaire to be a great guy.

1 Like