The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

Really enjoyed the last ep of The Boys.

3 Likes

So we got the Hulu free trial to check out The Bear. Their fucking commercial breaks, which are about every 5 minutes, include ads for the later seasons of The Bear which contain at least minor plot and character spoilers. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

1 Like

I have never been able to make it past Ep1 of The Boys and I feel like that is probably a major leak but I am really really not into the whole superhero genre. I haven’t watched any of the Marvel stuff for example. Is it going to get better for me or no?

1 Like

It doesn’t feel like there’s really a direct line between enjoying straightforward superhero stuff and enjoying something that kind of skewers straightforward superhero stuff, so I’m not sure that’s an indicator to go by.

For my part, I enjoyed the first episode and several more S1 episodes, but only made it as far as early season two before I just wasn’t feeling it enough to continue. I thought it had a number of elements that should work for me, but it ultimately didn’t keep my attention for that long.

1 Like

For me, I think the fact that I generally roll my eyes at Marvel stuff had a lot to do with my enjoyment of The Boys. I think they’re reverse correlated.

5 Likes

I think if you focus more on the acting than anything else you can have a good time with it.

Antony Starr and Karl Urban do a hell of a job, and Chace Crawford brings it as one of the most dialikable characters ever put to screen.

Plus you being around my age, I dont know how you cant watch something with Elisabeth Shue as a hot ass milf.

3 Likes

Also, not sure if you’re a fan of “You’re the worst” but Aya Cash comes in in S2 and absolutely crushes it.

1 Like

What a fantastic show. If anyone hasn’t watched it, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

3 Likes

Absolutely, its hard for me to ever fully rank my all time favorite shows what with comedy and drama being so different, but its one of those shows if I sit and watch the pilot, ill inevitably end up doing an entire rewatch.

Its spectacular, and I wish Chris Geere was doing more. The podcast he does with his wife is a lot of fun though

Im also eagerly awaiting Falk’s followup. Dude has a crazy resume, Weeds, OITNB, YTW.

That was freaking awesome

I don’t watch any Marvel stuff and i enjoy The Boys, it’s defintely not just your standard superhero thing. Maybe try to watch like the first half of season 1 and evaluate after that.

1 Like

If I remember right it takes about 3 episodes of the Boys before you fully see what the show is going for. If after that you’re still not sure, then it’s probably time to bail.

1 Like

Does Ashley have one the most blessed minor character runs of all time? Wow. Way to go this gal

1 Like

for those keeping track at home, the 3rd consecutive hughie sexual assault was just the same as the 2nd. FYI.

1 Like

she got two fingers up there this time

1 Like

Im still kinda miffed we didnt see her final form before the end of the season

1 Like

Me too, but it’s another reason to look forward to the final season in gulp 2026. Maybe she’ll show up in Gen V S2.

I forgot that she was fired in S1. I wonder if the original plan was for that to be her departure, but she impressed everyone so much that they rewrote things to keep her around indefinitely.

Wtf this is ridiculous

1 Like