The Television Streaming Thread: Part III

I guess maybe he sort of did? Looks like an accident if so.

I had a friend named Gary whose parents wanted to name him Garrett, but were afraid if he was a redhead that kids would call him Garrett the Carrot.

In the meantime, my grandparents nicknamed my dad Rusty before he was born because they thought he would be a redhead (my grandpa was). He wasnā€™t, but the name stuck and thatā€™s what he goes by in everything but the most formal of settings.

Six more months until Severance Season 2

10 Likes

jesus that seems like an eternity, weā€™ll all be in the camps by then

6 Likes

Itā€™ll still be Bidenā€™s term 6 months from now.

(Goddammit our election season is too long)

dude big daddy ainā€™t gonna wait for the inauguration, theyā€™re gonna start the purge on like Noember 6th

HIMYM Season 8, Ep 10, The Over-Correction

Iā€™m cruising through my HIMYM rewatch and this episode had me in stitches. Everyone just having fun in this one.

That part is the same in the show.

Another question for when youā€™ve seen it. The only words I know in Japanese are arigato gozaimasu. There are numerous times where the characters say ā€œThank Youā€ in the subtitles, but I donā€™t hear that phrase coming out of their mouths. In fact, Iā€™d say it was most of the time. Did I just miss it because it was too fast, or are there a bunch of other ways to say thank you that Iā€™m just not aware of?

There are other words in Japanese that can mean thank you. The most common is sumimasen, which, depending on context, can mean thank you, excuse me, and probably a bunch of other things as well. A simple ā€œDomoā€ also works as a thank you.

Havenā€™t watched yet but could be those words.

Well, when you get around to it, if you could make a mental note of how many arigato gozaimasu you heard, that would be great. IIRC, I heard almost none.

Itā€™s often shortened to just ā€œarigato,ā€ if that matters.ā€œArigato gozaimasuā€ is a more polite way of saying it.

I was aware of that. Didnā€™t hear many of those either. Did you see it? Am I just imagining things?

There was like one scene where someone was directing the anjin to say thank you like they taught him and I didnā€™t hear either of those words. And the subtitles were basically ā€œThank youā€.

Iā€™ve also heard that the show is faithful in use of Japanese as it was spoken back then, which is quite different from how it is today. So it may also be an old/obsolete expression. Iā€™ll have to watch to know for sure.

1 Like

All the Japanese I know I learned from Big Bird In Japan.

1 Like

Yeah, I didnā€™t hear that, but it was one theory that was floating around in my head.

I just watched the Showtime series The Juror on Netflix. I watched it because of Bryan Cranston and it was okay. At least s1 was. I slogged through s2 just because and it was really hard. Really an unnecessary season of tv.

For anyone who watched it I have a question why was Cranston in jail at start of s2. It wasnā€™t for fixing the trial. I clearly missed something

1 Like

Is this ā€œYour Honor?ā€

Never heard of The Juror

1 Like

The Rural Juror

5 Likes

If you are referring to Your Honor, I really enjoyed the first season but havenā€™t seen s2 or s3.